Ok I've been trying to play Master of Puppets and I get extremely tired really quickly on the intro, I am alternate picking. What am I doing wrong?
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
Last edited by wtbskill91 at Oct 19, 2008,
alternate picking is doin it wrong. the metallica boys play it all down picked!
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
you need to build up endurance....

that song is played in downstrokes...so you wont save any energy alt picking.....just play and play... its tough....ive been there
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Wow that's gonna take a lot of practice, thanks though.
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
once you get it you will be glad you did.. that song is great for getting your speed up
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
I can't play those riffs all downpicked =/ lol
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
if your getting tired on the beginning wait till you get the main riffs,there all power chords and you should downstroke them for best results,trying doing some exercises to build up some strength in that plucking hand,also it would probably help if you warm up before playing that song or any song at that
that is one of the best songs for learning though.... it will get you the speed and endurance you need
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
you dont have to play it all downpicked, it just looks cooler to play it all downpicked
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A

Line 6 Relay G30
I assume you're talking about the main riff:

E|---------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------|
A|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-|
E|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----|

D D U D D U D D U D D U D D U D

It takes a while to build up to speed but once you get it it's like second nature.
The first riff, when you're going down on the E string, mute all the opens and play them down, and then do an up on the notes that aren't open. The part after that, you're just going to have to build of strength.
That riff is played all downstrokes,mute all the open E's.It's like hopping around with your hand on the strings.Use a metronome,practice SLOWLY at first.Gradually increase speed and when you're gonna stop practicing,try to keep up with the real song.It's gonna kill you at first,but I do it and now I can almost play it full speed.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Pretty much all the riffs have to be downpicked. But it will take you time to be able to play the whole song (especially the verse riff that comes straight after the intro). Aaages ago I tried learning it and wasn't that great at all, so kinda stopped trying for a bit. then kinda recently I started playing it again and now I can play all the riffs. You just need to take time and eventually you'll be able to downpick faster
U must downpick it all.

To the guy who says don't. Alternate picking gives a more swing feel. And metallica + swing is rape to metal.

That's why so many people cover master of puppets and don't sound like the real thing. IT's supposed to be played bashed not comfortable.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
U must downpick it all.

To the guy who says don't. Alternate picking gives a more swing feel. And metallica + swing is rape to metal.

That's why so many people cover master of puppets and don't sound like the real thing. IT's supposed to be played bashed not comfortable.

You don't HAVE to downpick it. Yes, James and Kirk do it but you should do whichever you find easier. If you struggle at downpicking it there's nothing wrong with alternate picking, but I do recommend practising your downpicking.
RULE BRITANNIA
At LEAST work on downstroking the low E notes, they sound terrible on the upstroke.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
You don't HAVE to downpick it. Yes, James and Kirk do it but you should do whichever you find easier. If you struggle at downpicking it there's nothing wrong with alternate picking, but I do recommend practising your downpicking.

WRONG!!

For all in music, the tone and sound must come first. What feels comfortable comes 2nd. It's music not a sport.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I personally play it downpicked, but however it works to you... I like the way that rcw110131 suggested though.

WRONG!!

For all in music, the tone and sound must come first. What feels comfortable comes 2nd. It's music not a sport.

Good sir, I feel that it is you who are wrong here... if it hurts, your body's telling you that it's a bad idea... hence, don't do it.
Last edited by MopMaster at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by myearshurt
That's how you hurt yourself

...and thats why you start slow. It takes practice to do things right, and if your actually hurting yourself by playing guitar, then thats a good sign your doing something wrong. Discomfort because you're not used to something though is different, remedied by practice.
Exactly this is what kills music. People think they can play the notes, and they can play a song. Well that's only true in classical music and jingles.

The heavy downstroke based riffing is what made metallica to what they are. It's not the drumming or the complicated chord changes, it's certainly not the vocals. IT's the heavy downstroke guitarriffs which made their sound when all other bands of their time played glamrock.

You can't take the essence of their sound away, that's just butchering what they stand for.

Call me ignorant or w/e but we're talking about a metal band that made serious impact on how things should be played.

If it hurts good! I know how shredding works and less tension is indeed better for fast passages. But that doesn't apply to what they did.

Master of puppets is 7-8 minutes of pure energy, and THAT's the reason it's classed as a memorable metal tune.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by wtbskill91
Ok I've been trying to play Master of Puppets and I get extremely tired

You think that's tiring? Try going through Disposable Heroes from start to finish. Now THAT'S exhausting. Puppets is a cakewalk in comparison to that sucker.
Quote by Erkekjetter
You think that's tiring? Try going through Disposable Heroes from start to finish. Now THAT'S exhausting. Puppets is a cakewalk in comparison to that sucker.

Ye and keep in mind they were on coke and speed and all those fancy drugs at the time which makes u neglect pain. I'm sure they strained some muscles in their time.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^ anyone else here feeling a little pissed by this comment? If not then I guess its just me. You really had me until that comment. Anyways, peace man, here's hoping that its just me not understanding Dutch humour.

They were never coke heads. Drank a lot of booze and smoked weed, but they were not coke heads.

Besides, Metallica toonz are very playable without narcotics...maybe just not as fun.
Last edited by DeanESPJackson at Oct 20, 2008,
Maybe it's because I'm dutch u didn't understand me. I'm not promoting it. Maybe it was booze could be,I never spoke met em in real life.

But when I saw some of their old vids i just got impressions they did do some drugs. Wheter it was coke or not i don't know I don't drugs and have no information about them.

I'm srry if I offended you, and I do agree you don't need drugs to play those riffs. I was just trying to say that u just can't sacrifice sound for comfort. I mean music says wat it is. It is music and music should come first. Alternate pickign just won't give that aggresive sound; and you just need to practice at slow speeds.

Also keep in mind metallica riffs need "maintenance" If you don't play that stuff for 2 weeks you will find it difficult again to keep it at pace for a given time. Fact they toured like crazy they kept in shape by playing live.

Ultimately how something is played (tone and feel) is what separates the "okay" guitarist from the "good" guitarists.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 20, 2008,
Ha ha, you got me right back on track, no worries, I'm totally with you, and you're right they we're usually pretty wasted.

I'm a steadfast beleiver too that to play a song "properly" you need to have the technique down. Just like what you're saying, learning how to downpick for a song that to play "properly" involves downpicking is more important than doing this the easy or more comfartable way. I shake my head whenever I read, "I'm having a hard time with MOP, and I use alternate picking" = fail.
i am still having a problem with that same riff. The outside of my index finger presses hard against the base of the headstock as I try to switch it from the low E to the A rapidly. Sometimes I can get it downpretty well, and then i get excited and start screwing it up. I have been palm muting the low E during that riff, which i think may be a mistake. Fun song though, hard, and it'll probably take me a year to get it down right
currently using:
BC Rich Mockingbird Platinum Pro
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Roland Boss DR-3 Drum Machine
Quote by nathraq
i am still having a problem with that same riff. The outside of my index finger presses hard against the base of the headstock as I try to switch it from the low E to the A rapidly. Sometimes I can get it downpretty well, and then i get excited and start screwing it up. I have been palm muting the low E during that riff, which I think may be a mistake. Fun song though, hard, and it'll probably take me a year to get it down right

Move your finger farther along the fingerboard closer to the actual fret so it doesn't hit the nut at the base of the headstock. Also, you shouldn't be moving your index finger from E to A when playing this riff. You should leave your index finger in place on (or above for the open notes) the E string at the 1st fret. Use all your other fingers for the notes on the A string (ie. middle for the 2nd fret, ring for the 3rd fret, pinky for the 4th fret). It's going to be hard at first to stretch and utilize all your fingers if you're just starting out, but this is the correct way to play it. It may seem like a harder method at first, but just keep practicing with all your fingers and eventually this riff will become much easier. And keep palm muting the low E, that's the correct way to play it.

Try these tips and see how it goes. Good luck!
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Oct 21, 2008,