Okay, so I have a licensed floyd rose on my guitar, and I have always had a bit of trouble with it. I just recently tried to set it up, and I noticed that when i have my guitar in perfect tune (440) and the bridge is parallel to the body..whenever I use the whammy bar it goes the same amount flat every time I use it. I'm thinking the knife edges could be dull. Could that possibly be the issue? Is there any way I can correct this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by guitarfreak5342 at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by Colgate Total
Are you tuning it correctly?

As in E, B, E, B, G, E, etc.?

You mean 'E A D G B E'? If he's in E Standard of course.
Quote by Colgate Total
Are you tuning it correctly?

As in E, B, E, B, G, E, etc.?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I've just been tuning E, A, D, G, B, E over and over should I do that differently?
Quote by RX120D
You mean 'E A D G B E'? If he's in E Standard of course.

You have to tune the Floyd Rose in a certain pattern, as in low e, next string, low e again, etc. to balance out the tension. Otherwise, it just won't stay in tune.

If you are doing it correctly, check the saddles, they may need to be replaced.

Also, the Floyd Rose thread at the top of the forum is very informative.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
How old is the bridge?

There is a temporary fix for dull knife edges, but the LFR will not last forever. I've heard that it is not a job for an amateur, so you should bring it to a luthier.

If I were you, I'd just buy an OFR. It will last way longer than any cheaply made LFR.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Quote by Reds3031
How old is the bridge?

There is a temporary fix for dull knife edges, but the LFR will not last forever. I've heard that it is not a job for an amateur, so you should bring it to a luthier.

If I were you, I'd just buy an OFR. It will last way longer than any cheaply made LFR.

I'm not sure how old the bridge is cuz I bought the guitar used. It's a jackson floyd copy, and I don't like it to much, so I'm thinking about maybe an OFR. If you buy an OFR will it fit just like the licensed? Like i can just put the OFR in without altering the guitar
Quote by Colgate Total
You have to tune the Floyd Rose in a certain pattern, as in low e, next string, low e again, etc. to balance out the tension. Otherwise, it just won't stay in tune.

If you are doing it correctly, check the saddles, they may need to be replaced.

Also, the Floyd Rose thread at the top of the forum is very informative.

Okay, well i was blocking the floyd, but I'll try doing it that way thanks
Quote by guitarfreak5342
Okay, well i was blocking the floyd, but I'll try doing it that way thanks

Ah, well sorry then.

I have never blocked my trem, so I really have no idea why it's going out of tune.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
Ah, well sorry then.

I have never blocked my trem, so I really have no idea why it's going out of tune.

We'll I don't keep it blocked, just to keep the bridge parallel while I get it up into tune, and then I unblock it