Howdy GG&A thread!

I am in need of a tube amp that can play various types of metal/heavy rock (Slipknot, Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom, etc.) I would like an amp with decent cleans, but this is not required.

I can't decide which amp I should purchase, however...The Peavey Valveking or the Randall RG50TC.

The Valveking:
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_ValveKing%20112%201x12%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49979447_cmCategorySA-10001#TabSection

The RG50TC:
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_RG50TC%201x12%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49975104

I am leaning towards saving up more and getting the RG50TC, as it has a Celestion speaker equipped with it, and I have heard good things about this brand of speaker.

Any suggestions/recommendations fellow guitarists?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
I think you'd be good with the Randall if those are your options. Is it tube though? I thought it was SS...

What's your budget?

EDIT: I saw your wish list - why not get the Bugera?
i just bought a randall rg50tc, got it cheap, as it needed new power tubes, put is some JJ's and it sounds pretty nice. I was choosing considering buying a peavey valveking, but i couldnt find one to try out, i played another slightly cheaper peavey tube amp (i cant remember what it was called) and i didnt really like it that much, plus from all the bad coments about vk's on here, i thought id be safer with a randall.

It sounds pretty damn good. It doesnt have the punch or crunch for hardcore metal as my randall SS does, but for pretty much everything else its better. Even at low volumes its pretty good.
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I think you'd be good with the Randall if those are your options. Is it tube though? I thought it was SS...

What's your budget?

If you look at the specifications, under tubes, it says "yes". I searched for tube combo amp, and that should be what it is.

I thought about getting the Bugera too but I didn't realize the Randall had Celestion speakers with it. And the Valveking is just a really cheap tube amp.

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

My thoughts exactly. There's no use in getting an amp that's slightly cheaper than the amp you really want.

EDIT: Oh, the Celestions in the Randall are most likely really cheap and crappy. The Marshall MG cab also has "Celestions" in it, if it doesn't give a model, they're usually crap.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Oct 19, 2008,
Quote by classicrocker01
My thoughts exactly. There's no use in getting an amp that's slightly cheaper than the amp you really want.

True...I have also heard better things (for metal/hardcore, anyway) about the 333XL than the 6262, distortion wise. I like my distortion crunchy, would the 333XL be better?

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Neither one would lack, but wait for someone who has played them more thatn me. Also, read my edit. On top of that, you can always change speakers, it's incredibly simple.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Yeah, don't hold out. If you get an amp now, you'll want to buy the Bugera shortly after.

My advice? Save if you need to and then get the Bugera. I almost bought a Fender Blues Junior, and ended up with a Traynor YCV50 Blue. I'm glad I forked out the extra $300 or whatever. Much more versatile.
Search craigslist for a used Bugera, in GA you should be able to snag one under budget.
the randall RG50tc is an all tube combo.

2 5881(6L6) power tubes

and 4 12x7a preamp tubes
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia