I have a 1/4" line out on my sound card console. Would it be alright to connect this to my amp head and play music? Would it hurt the head, the speakers, or both?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst 500t/490r
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb Series 2 Head
Carvin vt412 4x12 cabinet
Can you do it?

Yes.

Will it sound bad?

Most definitely.

Flat response speakers for hi-fi, not ones voiced for guitar.
I just blew my logitech setup so I need something to tide me over for a week. Also, can I power a stereo with a power amplifier? Could I use a power amp with my computer?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst 500t/490r
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb Series 2 Head
Carvin vt412 4x12 cabinet
NONONONONONONONO. bass through a guitar amp and espically speakers is bad. the lower the frequency the higher the load on everything. the lower the frequency the longer the duration of the push pull pulses of the amp and speaker voice coils. everything will run hotter and it puts a bigger load on the amp. and the same for the speakers. longer push pull pulses mean the speaker is going to be pushed farther out and pulled farther back in than when used for guitar frequencies and that can wear out the surrounds on guitar specific speakers quickly making them muddy and more prone to speaker distortion. oh and it will sound like poo also even if its a guitar only recording because the difference between a signal from a pickup and the signal from a digital audio device are huge.
A Bass/Keyboard amp is far more capable of playing music, but still not as good as a hi-fi stereo.

I used a small bass amp combo one year to play music for halloween and it worked well.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
NONONONONONONONO. bass through a guitar amp and espically speakers is bad. the lower the frequency the higher the load on everything. the lower the frequency the longer the duration of the push pull pulses of the amp and speaker voice coils. everything will run hotter and it puts a bigger load on the amp. and the same for the speakers. longer push pull pulses mean the speaker is going to be pushed farther out and pulled farther back in than when used for guitar frequencies and that can wear out the surrounds on guitar specific speakers quickly making them muddy and more prone to speaker distortion. oh and it will sound like poo also even if its a guitar only recording because the difference between a signal from a pickup and the signal from a digital audio device are huge.

I'm assuming he's talking about his Vox in his sig, which is SS.

Though your speaker statement is true.
Quote by imgooley
I'm assuming he's talking about his Vox in his sig, which is SS.

Though your speaker statement is true.

dont you correct me sir. i believe you said he could do it which was decisively wrong. persoanlly my reluctance to edit my gear list would keep me from using anything guitar specific except cables for playing recordings with bass drums and bass guitars on them. (well maybe my ds-1 i hate it as much as i love it and the DC fireworks would give it a fitting end)
you can mess up your speakers because music has some frequencies that dont work with certain speakers. when those go through, you get bad sound and it can damage the speakers over time. i read this in the celestion website on how to break in speakers.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I did it with my HRD, did bother it a bit, just turn the bass down and don't crank it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
dont you correct me sir. i believe you said he could do it which was decisively wrong. persoanlly my reluctance to edit my gear list would keep me from using anything guitar specific except cables for playing recordings with bass drums and bass guitars on them. (well maybe my ds-1 i hate it as much as i love it and the DC fireworks would give it a fitting end)

I did it with my Vox.

Same amp, really.

I used to do it with my DA5 all the time.

Don't get catty.