So after getting a new amp (5150 combo) I'm thinking about getting a new guitar to replace my Ibanez RG321. I'm willing to spend at most around $700 on it (but I think I'll be able to negotiate that down to $600, or $650 with case, at the music shop). I'm not looking to emulate a certain artist, but I really like the tones of bands like Iced Earth, Death (mainly Human and Symbolic era), Quo Vadis, Insomnium, Amon Amarth, etc. so I would like to be able to make my tone somewhat similar.

The gear that I have/will have:
-Currently using a Peavey 5150 Combo
-I plan on getting the Chaos Modded TS7 OD pedal from http://www.bodenhamer-electronics.com/ to tighten up the sound, and smooth out the fizziness

Things that I need in a new guitar
-Hardtail bridge, I don't do whammy tricks and like to change tunings alot, so I don't want to deal with a tremelo
-Good stock pickups, I'm gonna spend A LOT of money on this, I don't wanna lay down another $200 on pickups (I still have to choose whether I like actives and passives)
-Somewhat thin neck, I have kind of small hands and I have gotten used to my Ibanez's Wizard neck. While I don't mind getting a thicker neck, I played one of my friend's Schecter and that neck was too thick for me.

That guitars that I have looked at already and seem good are:
-ESP LTD H-500 (passive Duncan's or active EMG's)
-ESP LTD F-400FM (looks damn cool)
-ESP LTD MH-400NT
-ESP LTD EC-500
-PRS SE Custom
-PRS Tremonti SE

What do you guys think of those guitars? How about other suggestions?

Also, I know that I should try out these guitars first, and I will try to do that. But I've asked the past two times at Guitar Center if they had a 5150 or 6505 and they said no, also I don't think they carry ESP or PRS...

If you read this all, thank you, I know it was a lot to read, but I really wanted to outline my situation well and in detail. Any help appreciated
Last edited by eddiethehead888 at Oct 20, 2008,
Don't want another Ibanez

Schecter neck is too thick

Jackson dosen't seem good enough for the money

Everything I've seen from Carvin has been WAY to expensive ($1000 plus)

What's Ran?
Quick thought: for smoothness, the Sapphire mod may be a better choice than the chaos mod. If you still want some fuzz around the edges stick to the Chaos mod.
All the models you listed are great. I highly recommend checking them all out if possible, then making your decision. That said, of the two PRS in your situation I might lean towards the Tremonti, and of the ESP... honestly I would lean away from the F-series, because a look like that only works in metal and if your tastes change or broaden and you end up playing non-metal music in gigs you'll look really out of place. You can get the same specs with different aesthetics in the other ESPs, so while it looks cool now, keep in mind that tastes can and often do change. I'd recommend the H series guitar you listed because of the choice of stock Duncans or EMGs.
Good luck!
yeah man, look at some more brands....out of those ones, The Tremonti Se, or the MH 400NT
Quote by Nightfyre
Quick thought: for smoothness, the Sapphire mod may be a better choice than the chaos mod. If you still want some fuzz around the edges stick to the Chaos mod.All the models you listed are great. I highly recommend checking them all out if possible, then making your decision. That said, of the two PRS in your situation I might lean towards the Tremonti, and of the ESP... honestly I would lean away from the F-series, because a look like that only works in metal and if your tastes change or broaden and you end up playing non-metal music in gigs you'll look really out of place. You can get the same specs with different aesthetics in the other ESPs, so while it looks cool now, keep in mind that tastes can and often do change. I'd recommend the H series guitar you listed because of the choice of stock Duncans or EMGs.
Good luck!

1) Yea, I thought about that, it seems like it was made more for blues type tone. But I guess if you plug anything bluesy into a 5150 it'll turn it metal quickly Do you have any experience with these pedals? I'm just wondering as I have never heard one, but I was reffered to them as a really good but cheap OD pedal

2) To be honest I really don't want to get the F-series as much as the MH or H series. I really think that those "metal" guitars that are built around looks are silly. But this one happened to catch my eye in a good way, and it has good specs too.

Does anyone know how thick the necks are on those two brands? Like I said, I would love to try them out, but Im pretty sure GC dosen't carry ESP or PRS

Quote by tchettizzle
yeah man, look at some more brands....out of those ones, The Tremonti Se, or the MH 400NT

Do you have anything to suggest? I stated the reasons why I don't want Ibanez, Shecter, Carvin, and Jackson above...the only other guitar that I can think of that I haven't posted is the Washburn X50Pro and I just checked Washburn's dealers and Guitar Center isn't one of them...I might need to travel to one of the music shops that are far away
Last edited by eddiethehead888 at Oct 20, 2008,
I get what you mean with the looks. It's all good, just thought I'd throw my two cents in.
The necks on PRS and ESP guitars are intermediate between Ibanez and Schecter. Neither one is baseball-bat thickness by any measure, but I think the PRS neck is slightly thicker. Still pretty fast though.
I owned the trem version of the MH-400NT.The neck was wide and slightly beefier than say a wizard II and played nice and fast with minimal heel.Very comfortable even for a guy like me with smaller hands.
Also if you decide on an ESP and want to go the passive pup route id suggest looking into the Deluxe MH1000,its a bit more than youre looking to spend ($750) but its a beautiful guitar.Neck thru,passive duncans,full abalone binding,tonepros locking bridge,and locking tuners.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Also if you decide on an ESP and want to go the passive pup route id suggest looking into the Deluxe MH1000,its a bit more than youre looking to spend ($750) but its a beautiful guitar.Neck thru,passive duncans,full abalone binding,tonepros locking bridge,and locking tuners.

OMG It's Beautiful! (I like the brown color over the green though), I'd try to talk the salesman down a $100 on it, keep it in my range.
What do you think of passive vs. actives? I've been playing the stock passives on my RG321 and have never had a chance to try actives...god i hope GC has a 5150 that I can test them out on
Yeah shes a real looker,the binding and inlays are amazing.If my old MH-400 is any clue then i bet it plays wonderfully too.

Ive gone back and forth on the active vs passive debate.At the moment i play with passive duncans but in the past ive played extensively on the emg 81/85 combo.Theyre both nice,passives have less output and more of an organic/natural tone and actives are hotter but some people complain theyre noisy and can get sterile with certain rigs,but thats nothing if you know how to use your EQ right and play a quality guitar through a nice amp like the one you have.Cleans tones can be a pain with actives but rolling the volume and tone back a bit solves that.I think that if youre using quality pick ups of either kind in a well built guitar than you cant go wrong either way.