Hey folks

I'm looking into getting a new guitar and wanted to hear some feedback from all of you (no pun intended).I'm mostly a progressive metal and classical guitarist and two guitars stick out big in my mind,the schecter stiletto classic,and the new ibanez S5470 prestige model.They both have the versatile pup arrays that i like (an emg 81TW and SA single coils in the schecter and these new hot grinder pups in the ibanez that look like a d-sonic clone).Both have locking trems ( A gotoh floyd copy in the stiletto and the new and improved ZR system in the S series) and look great.Here's where i come to a road block.The schecter is neck thru,and the ibanez is bolt on,and they have different finger board woods (ebony on the schecter,RW on the ibanez).The price difference is about 300 dollars with the ibanez being the more expensive at $1300.I just wanted to hear what you all think of these two guitars when compared to each other and what you'd go for,and maybe how they play from some of you who have tried/own them.Of course,if anyone has other suggestions for a guitar that fits my needs in this price range,i'd love to hear them as well .
The Ibanez would be my choice.

The Prestige models are beyond amazing, and the trem is just as good. Not to mention they're very versatile.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
nub get yourself one of these.

Endorsed by Slash.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
I'd go for the Schecter, but only because I dislike thin necks and prefer ebony fingerboards. I do tend to favor set-neck or neck-through construction as well. There are a lot of little differences between the two that add up, try them both and buy the one you like best.
EDIT: ^lmao
Quote by zeemonkey

Endorsed by Slash.

Hellz YES! It's got the perfect humbucker for doing br00t4alz!! That's why it only needs one of them!

On topic- Isn't set neck usually better than bolt-on?
Wow,that pink strat is gayer than 8 guys ****ing 9 guys,why companies make those weird novelty guitars ill never know.

Anyways,I'm leaning towards the ibanez,but the thing that sucks is there are no stores that carry either of these guitars around where i live,and the thought of driving 3+ hours to test play them isnt very appealing =/.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Wow,that pink strat is gayer than 8 guys ****ing 9 guys,why companies make those weird novelty guitars ill never know..

Have you ever heard of girls?
Yes, this is why.

I prefer the ibanez but the schecter is damn good can't reall go wrong with either in my opinion.
Hahah, I think that thing is a pile of failure no matter what gender you are,then again, I've seen stupider marketing gimmicks that have sold like crazy.

I agree,theyre both very nice instruments and that stiletto in amber satin is one classy looking SOB.I guess at some point its going to come down to the cost,difference in neck and construction,and the whole active vs passive pups thing.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Hahah, I think that thing is a pile of failure no matter what gender you are,then again, I've seen stupider marketing gimmicks that have sold like crazy.

I agree,theyre both very nice instruments and that stiletto in amber satin is one classy looking SOB.I guess at some point its going to come down to the cost,difference in neck and construction,and the whole active vs passive pups thing.

I guess then your only hope is to try them out then...luckily most stores carry both
Unfortunately im not near anything remotely resembling a large music store,so to test play these babies id have to go pretty damn far.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Unfortunately im not near anything remotely resembling a large music store,so to test play these babies id have to go pretty damn far.

Ah, that sucks...however, when I was on Carvin's website today I read they had a policy where they would ship you the guitar you wanted and give you 10 days to test it out, if you didn't like it you just had to pay to ship it back to them. Does Ibanez or Schecter have a similar policy?
I'm not sure,since i live in the Boonies I'll most likely have to order from a big online dealer like AMS or MF,im not 100% certain but i think AMS has a pretty decent return policy on their products,ill have to swing by their site and check it out.

Ive seen several reviews for the prestige and all of them were very positive,but i havent been able to find much on the schecter,i want to find out where its made,i know the Ibanez is Japanese but i have no clue where the schecter is built.

Something about the thought of that 24 fret wizard prestige neck is making me drool,my first guitar was an RG so i love the ibanez necks.
Wow, the schecter is neck through and has an ebony fretboard for $300 less?

I have heard a LOT of good about the RG series, especailly the >$1000 models.

A neck through or set neck will give you added sustain, and you MIGHT want that for proggish metal, but I don't know if you are primarily l;ead or rythem.

I will tell you this, I played some of the RG's, and I have never palyed a better metal guitar, outside some of the higher end ESP's.
Last edited by Anjohl at Oct 20, 2008,
hes not looking at RGs... Depends on the feel of the neck but actually stilettos necks are only 19.5mm thick at first fret, so only like .5 mm thicker than a wizard 2. A set neck does not give you added sustain, as vibrations are lost through the glue whereas bolt on should be direct wood to wood contact (lol). The neck joints are really only different in feel. Neck through might give a little extra sustain, but there is still glue used to make the wings join the neck resulting in little difference
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Personally,ive never noticed a huge difference between the sustain of a set/neck thru and a bolt neck.The way ibanez bolts on their necks is great,its not the simple 4 bolts with a metal cover like most bolt on models,but big ass bolts joining the neck directly to the body,which is nice since theres very minimal heel on their guitars.The only thing im really concerned about with the ibanez is the quality of the pick ups/tuners,since those seem to be their weak points in build quailty.Granted its not a huge deal but who wants to pay 1300 dollars then another 200 for new pups and 50+ for a new set of nice tuners?
Quote by zeemonkey

Endorsed by Slash.

And Alexi too

Anyway,schecter is my choice.
Quote by eddiethehead888
Hellz YES! It's got the perfect humbucker for doing br00t4alz!! That's why it only needs one of them!

On topic- Isn't set neck usually better than bolt-on?

if you are really badass , buy the strat and then put EMG's in it :P
kthxbai.