I'm trying to get a few riffs down that involve fast picking, but the problem is I can't really pick that fast before I miss the string or get off tempo. Right now I'm just working on going up and down scales, alternate picking to a metronome, gradually increasing the speed. Is there anything else that might work a little bit better, or am i just doing the wrong motion? And i guess what is the proper motion, just flicking the wrist or should i try to get some power from my arm?

Also ultimate noob question... whats tremolo picking mean
You are doing great on the speed exercises, I would even suggest Guitar pro 5 and using it's Coefficient to the tempo feature. . . Try to conserve energy and movement in any picking exercise you do, you have to think how to cut out all the wasted movement and energy if you want to utilize your PP(picking potential)

As for tremolo picking, Listen to some Cradle of Filth and Black Dahlia Murder. Then learn to play some of it. You'll either hate or love tremolo picking after that.
It's just kind of a wrist flutter thing with the strings, picking the note really fast in an up and down alternating motion.

As for pick's I suggest Tortex Dunlop H3's they are the purple 1.14 mm picks. Really good for fast stuff, sweeps, and tremolo picking.

As for movement of the arm or wrist. Fast picking always comes from the wrist. Unless you are doing sweep picking, then some people use their arm because it may be easier to keep the fluidity of motion necessary to perform a sweep for certain individuals. That is comparable to a double bass drummer asking if he should pull his knees up going really fast on double bass. Your body can't do it or hold out doing it. The drummer has to mount his knees and let all the force be pushed from his calf muscles to ankles. With guitarists it goes from forearm to wrist instead though. Tighten the forearm muscle and flutter away.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Last edited by notsee at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by wisdom_cube
I'm trying to get a few riffs down that involve fast picking, but the problem is I can't really pick that fast before I miss the string or get off tempo. Right now I'm just working on going up and down scales, alternate picking to a metronome, gradually increasing the speed. Is there anything else that might work a little bit better, or am i just doing the wrong motion? And i guess what is the proper motion, just flicking the wrist or should i try to get some power from my arm?

Also ultimate noob question... whats tremolo picking mean

There's no such thing as speed exercises, just accuracy ones. Focus on playing accurately, no matter how slow you need to go - practicing scales won't help you much with whatever it is you want to play, it'll mainly just make you good at playing scales.

Be patient, you can't just decide "I want to be fast", it's the wrong mindset - you've got no control over speed, only the things that govern it so focus on those. Work on accuracy, timing, control and also stamina and knowledge. As those things improve you'll get faster, but if you focus all your energy on "trying" to get faster you won't actually get any better. It'll take weeks at best depending on how fast the thing you want to play is, but more realistic is to expect it to take months or years.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try palm muting fast first, it stops the strings from vibrating and you losing tempo so much
Then try it without, it helped me a lot so it's worth a try
He who knows all, knows nothing in the eye of a imbecile.