Just wondering what the differences are (and the pro's and con's) between the old Marshall Majors and the new Marshall JTM-45s?
I'm considering getting a custom amp built exactly to a Marshall Major or JTM by a local custom amp builder guy (Woogie amps in Adelaide, South Australia... built by Frank if anyone is familiar with his work)... I have many many effects pedals to compensate for the lack of distortion channel (which I like) but will be buying a Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion to go with the new amp because I'm a bit sick of my current distortions (I have a Marshall Guv'Nor Plus which is ok, but not ballsy enough, and a Boss DS-1 that isnt versatile enough).

Which of the Marshalls I mentioned should I go for? I'm in a funk/rock/alternative band and am going for (as many people thesedays are) a John Frusciante type sound (BSSM era)... I already have the sunburst USA Fender strat to go with it haha

Also, with this amp I'd get it built as 100 watts downswitchable to 60 watts (a common addition to all 100 watt Woogie amps) for gig size versatility... and would get a 2x12" speaker cab built for it until I can afford a Marshall quad later on (when I might need such power hah)
durring bssm he used jcm 800's

his major is for extra clean power and im not sure when he even uses his jtm lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

On tours in the 80's and late 90's he used his Major (used a Boss DS-2 for distortion most of the time)... and in the late 90's he used his Major full-stack alongside a Silver Jubilee full-stack and a fender full-stack for his White Falcon.
I don't recall seeing him use a JCM800 at all, though I could be wrong...

EDIT: Oh, and he doesn't own a JTM... I was asking if anyone could list the differences between Marshall's JTM series and their Major series...
http://www.jftab.com/htm/john-frusciante-gear-amplis.html

and i think he used the jcm during his mothers milk tour and bssm tour thne he quit the band did alot of heroin and burned everything down to the ground whe he set his apartment on fire.

im pretty sure im right but im gonna double check for you

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

The only thing i can say, is don't get 100 watts, the beauty of the old marhsalls is how the sound when really cranked, unless you have an attenuator, get it at 50, with a switch to take it to 20/25. The you'll be able to crank it more. And it will still be loud enough. I hardly ever take my 50 Watt JCM 900 out of the low power mode (25 watt) and I gig with it a lot.

I would also not put a cheap distortion near a lovely amp like your getting. Get a nice overdrive such as the fulltone OCD, or a really nice distortion pedal, but please don't put a cheap distortion like your planning on through the amp, you just won't hear how good it really would sound. I don't know of any high end distortion pedals so will leave that to someone else to advise.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Quote by timzee117
http://www.jftab.com/htm/john-frusciante-gear-amplis.html

and i think he used the jcm during his mothers milk tour and bssm tour thne he quit the band did alot of heroin and burned everything down to the ground whe he set his apartment on fire.

im pretty sure im right but im gonna double check for you

haha wow that's a wicked site... I googled "john frusciante marshall blood sugar" and all that before and came up with nothing... and yeah that makes sense him losing his JCM to that fire...

He was always right into vintage gear collecting though, so he may not have owned a JCM800 (they were brand new back then)... he did, however, have enough money to buy anything too I spose

And Hairball: You're probably right... but JF did use a Boss DS-2... and I wouldn't call Boss a cheap half-ass brand. From what I've heard and seen the DS-2's sound brilliant, but that could just be me, I still need to play one myself...
If I did get one I'd get it true bypassed aswell... working on getting at least half of my rig true bypassed
^I had a problem with a DS2-distortion through my Bluesbreaker (which has the same wiring as a JTM45). It started to make all kinda crazy noises :/ But I'm sure it sounds good if those weird noises doesn't happen to you. Because if it's good enough for John, it's good enough for you
Oh, and John used a JTM45 on the recording of Around the World.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Sweet, thanks! I'm gonna go check out a DS-2 this weekend and will try it through some different amps n see if any problems come up... I'll let ya know how that goes.

Also, I'm pretty sure John used a Major for most things, even back in the 80's... Here's a vid of him back then: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IwOQmqCg3WI
My guess is his rig included: one of his many vintage strats, through his pedalboard (Roland chorus ensemble, wh-10 wah, ds-2) and into his Major, by lookin at this vid... That amps definitely gotta be a major

Actually, I think I posted a comment on one of these vids (from this recorded session) asking if anyone knew what amp he was using and what distortion... and someone said it was a Major with a DS-2 aswell
Last edited by loop-de-luke at Oct 22, 2008,
If you're getting a marshall clone built, I'd go for a Silver Jubilee. The Major is mostly for absurdly loud clean tones to layer effects on, the Jubilee is that slightly fizzy gnarly OD that you hear on all of John's live stuff.
Yeah? Cool man thanks! I always wondered what amps/effects he used when... When does he used his Big Muff Pi?? I can never tell... To me from what I've seen on youtube the Big Muffs sound horrible! But everything John plays sounds wonderful...
Anyone know when he uses certain gear like this in the Off The Map DVD? Cause I love that DVD, it never gets old!
Live, you can hear the big muff on the solos where he hits longer notes and bends them around a lot, like the Scar Tissue solo. The thing to listen for is where the notes get compressed and a little blurred. If you listen to a bunch of big muff clips and then the solo you'll hear what I mean.
The DS-2 is on for that really ratty sounding distortion when he's doing chords and noisier solos.

He's been using different stuff recently, but those are the core sounds. I'm going off of the live stuff since god knows what he used in the studio, and how it was processed, etc etc.

Honestly, the Jubilee and a strat is most of the tone. People have a hard time getting his tone because a JCM800 is the closest thing commonly available and they just don't clip like a Jubilee does, especially in the high end.
Cool... thanks for that! Did he use the Big Muff for all of the solos in Scar Tissue? He uses the DS-2 for really fat and ballsy distortion tones too right, like in mellowship slinky? (the recording, I dont think they did that on Off The Map)
That's mainly why I want a DS-2... cause he used one in Mother's Milk and BSSM era, for heavy distortions like in Stone Cold Bush and Mellowship Slinky (I'm assuming... cause he didnt have any other distortions in Mothers Milk, unless of course he used a JCM800 like timzee117 was suggesting)
Scar tissue on the album isn't with a muff. The live stuff like you'll hear on Slane Castle, Hyde Park, etc. it is.
Mellowship slinky on the studio sounds like it could be just the amp. The DS-2 seems to mostly be used live. Again, I think you'll find that a Jubilee, wah, and a strat will cop most of the tones you're hearing.
I'd also say to you not to get a DS2 for it. Those are very gnarly and solid state sounding itortions. John does use a DS2 from time to time, but it's for stuff like the Otherside solo, when he just wants heaps of feedback, not a nice overdrive tone. Really a DS2 through a JTM or Major will kill the tone. Get a Fulltone OCD for it for your overdrive. I have one and it's probably the single best overdrive pedal I have ever played.

I'd also go for a Jubilee if I were you btw.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by loop-de-luke
Cool... thanks for that! Did he use the Big Muff for all of the solos in Scar Tissue? He uses the DS-2 for really fat and ballsy distortion tones too right, like in mellowship slinky? (the recording, I dont think they did that on Off The Map)
That's mainly why I want a DS-2... cause he used one in Mother's Milk and BSSM era, for heavy distortions like in Stone Cold Bush and Mellowship Slinky (I'm assuming... cause he didnt have any other distortions in Mothers Milk, unless of course he used a JCM800 like timzee117 was suggesting)

so i saw a video from 89 where he was using the jubes and the major. and i saw a video where he was using a jcm 800 lol so i figured he upgraded his rig somewhere along the way lol.

anyway in stone cold bush and mellowship slinky its not only his ds2 but also the jubes drive. he used the pedal to push the amp more

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Thanks everyone for giving me the gas for a Marshall Silver Jubilee

EDIT: BTW, does he use the 2550 or the 2555?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by Hultan
Thanks everyone for giving me the gas for a Marshall Silver Jubilee

EDIT: BTW, does he use the 2550 or the 2555?

Who cares if it's the 2550 or 2555? Just get whatever one is more expensive. That must mean it's better.

/horrible sarcasm.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Last edited by timzee117 at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by timzee117
so i saw a video from 89 where he was using the jubes and the major. and i saw a video where he was using a jcm 800 lol so i figured he upgraded his rig somewhere along the way lol.

anyway in stone cold bush and mellowship slinky its not only his ds2 but also the jubes drive. he used the pedal to push the amp more

I don't think he used the DS2 to push it, because they aren't very good boosters. I know he uses an EHX English Muff'n for boosting nowadays.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
I don't think he used the DS2 to push it, because they aren't very good boosters. I know he uses an EHX English Muff'n for boosting nowadays.

thats what i thought because ihave a ds-2 and i dont like it that much, but ive read from multiple sources (including an interview with him) that he uses a ds-2. actually i think in mothers milk he used a ds-1

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeah still though, to be honest his DS1/DS2 sound isn't very nice. It's very harsh and distorted. Listen to Otherside. Compare it to the distortion on the Dani California solo, which is a Big Muff, which is sweet and thick.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band