Ok i went to the music store yesterday and i played some basses...obviously. i played a fender jazz and a musicman stingray through a aguilar 4x10 half stack

i fell in love with the musicman and aguilar

i only have a few questions:

1. i found the musicman neck a bit big, just a bit, and thats coming from someone who plays a fender p bass with half decent frettin technique, but i also played it after i played the jazz bass. also does the stirling have a thinner neck because i heard it had a smaller body but same neck, just wondering

2. is aguilar a good amp brand? and do i pay for the name much like ampeg?

3. i read somewhere that Ibanez ATK's are very good at attempting to immitate the tone of a stingray, is this true? and how good are they at doing that?

thanks

P.S god i would've ran out the store with that musicman if the neck pickup wasnt loose, i wouldve had to come back a day later
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Aguilar are great

In Australia we arn't paying for the name, we have to pay a bit extra because of the shipping and what not.

great amp.

Great Bass choice.

The Atk is half decent at the imitation. Though it doesn't have that certain, Stingray-esque about them.

And if you were going for more than the humbucker at the bridge sound the Atk won't help you out much.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
thanks

and i mainly liked the humbucker at the bridge sound, so thats good to here

i better start saving for that aguilar and stingray

btw Australia FTW
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Check out the Musicman Sterling if you can. The body and neck are abit smaller than its Stingray brother.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
From what I understand, Sterlings are Jazzes to the Stingray's Precision, in terms of neck-size anyway.

And Aguilar's a solid, borderline boutique company. There stuff isn't cheap (or particularly modern) but you're paying for the product. Aguilar isn't quite big enough to get you paying for the name.

Having a humbucker at the bridge is going to result in a pretty consistant tone, regardless of the bass it's on. It might not sound exactly the same on an ATK and MM, but they'll sound more like eachother than the ATK with any other bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 20, 2008,
The current ATK is an ok bass. The 'mark 1' version, with the extra J in front of the 'bucker is much more versatile, tonally. It'll do Stingray-ish, if you're after the trebly Flea/Mark King kinda Stingray sound. It'll cover most stuff you could want to do, and it feels nice and compact too.
The only one I can tell you about from experience is aguilar. Never used one of their amps, but I have an aguilar preamp. It kicks ass, and like others have said, it's to small a company to be paying for the name, though their preamps are pretty widely used.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
thanks for the input so far

also what would be the difference with a jazz rather then a humbucker in the neck, tonally wise?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
A world of difference. Jazz pickups are more tonally neutral that humbuckers - you'll be able to get a subtle, flexible, adaptable tone, as opposed to the same exact tone with a little more roundness via different location.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^so did you just say jazz>humbucker or vice versa?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
At the bridge? Up to your taste. At the neck? 100%.
Quote by Cody_Grey102