So, I'm with 3 at the moment and I'm paying £15 a month for my phone and I would like to cancel my contract. Do I just ring them up and cancel it? If so, do they need me to take my phone back to the shop where I got it or do I just keep it but not use it or something? Thanks for any info.
usually you have to pay for the phone or a cancellation fee. too expensive though!!
Quote by shav0r
Well basically sperm is alive right, so how come you don't see it move around on its own in a condom or whatever?

BLAME FACEBOOK FOR MURDERS... NOT THE MUSIC!
If your contract is finished - call them up and cancel, but 3 are notoriously bad for not letting you leave, so be really firm with them. You can keep the phone either way.

If your contract is not finished, you have to wait until it is or pay a cancellation fee.
I will probably be cancelling my Orange contract, because the coverage is dodgy as hell
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If your contract is finished - call them up and cancel, but 3 are notoriously bad for not letting you leave, so be really firm with them. You can keep the phone either way.

If your contract is not finished, you have to wait until it is or pay a cancellation fee.

Ah ok. Yeah 3 pretty much suck. I guess I'll have to pay a cancellation fee then. Any idea how much this is?
Quote by irnbrurules
Ah ok. Yeah 3 pretty much suck. I guess I'll have to pay a cancellation fee then. Any idea how much this is?

cancellation fees are either stated in your contract or if you're ending the contract early they will just keep charging you the full monthly bill untill the contract runs out.

Edit: if your contracts over the chances of there being a cancellation fee are next to nothing.
I just called them and they said because I still have 6 months on my contract (it's an 18 month contract), I'd have to pay £90!!!. I'm friggin canceling it because I can't even afford £15 a month, how do they think I'm gunna afford £90? What a piss take!!
Quote by irnbrurules
I just called them and they said because I still have 6 months on my contract (it's an 18 month contract), I'd have to pay £90!!!. I'm friggin canceling it because I can't even afford £15 a month, how do they think I'm gunna afford £90? What a piss take!!

Stop trying to make out it's 3's fault. YOU signed a contract and agreeded to pay 3 £15 a month for a minimum on 18 months. In return for staying with them for 18 months they gave you a free or heavily discounted phone.
Tell another company you're thinking of moving from 3, then tell 3 you're thinking of leaving. Keep this going and they'll more or less bid with each other for your custom, you can get some awesome deals that way.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by irnbrurules

You have to pay the full contract up...

Unless they specifically breach the contract you're stuck. That's how it works.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by markodeano1
Stop trying to make out it's 3's fault. YOU signed a contract and agreeded to pay 3 £15 a month for a minimum on 18 months. In return for staying with them for 18 months they gave you a free or heavily discounted phone.

Yeah I guess that's true. I did the maths and it works out at the same price that it would be to keep the phone on contract for the last 6 months so I guess I may as well stick with them and try and find the money from somewhere.
Quote by irnbrurules

Well, look at it this way: it's nearly twice that here in the States. Mine was $250. I know nothing of the law in the UK, but, here in Yank-land, a lot of states are ruling them illegal. I was stuck with a popular carrier here (rhymes with "T-Mobile"), and I managed to find the president of the company's e-mail address, and reminded him that their fees are being deemed illegal, and by the time I woke up the next morning, I had an e-mail from his secretary that flat-out said "we've waived your valid early termination fee," as if to say "hey, we should still make you pay this, but we won't because we're so nice."

What's even more hilarious is that they're doing absolutely nothing to get the money I still owe them. I also ended up with, essentially, a free Blackberry. I do believe I won that one.

For what it's worth, they did not breech the terms of their contract by any means. My problem was I got absolutely zero reception, and their contract says in plain English "this isn't guaranteed to actually work." But throw legal terms at them and that's just how easily they back down, because these providers are all aware of how crooked they actually are.
You're*
Last edited by Survivalism at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by neopowell
Tell another company you're thinking of moving from 3, then tell 3 you're thinking of leaving. Keep this going and they'll more or less bid with each other for your custom, you can get some awesome deals that way.

That only works if your not in a contract...
Quote by markodeano1
That only works if your not in a contract...

It works if you've been in the contract for 9 months or more. Not only can you get a better deal, but the new company will often give you the money to pay off your old contract in cash. I've done it a couple of times when I've needed a wad of notes in a hurry and just paid off the old contract when things were a little less panicky.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by neopowell
It works if you've been in the contract for 9 months or more. Not only can you get a better deal, but the new company will often give you the money to pay off your old contract in cash. I've done it a couple of times when I've needed a wad of notes in a hurry and just paid off the old contract when things were a little less panicky.
They'll sometimes offer to buy out the last 3 months of your existing contract if you're taking a price plan with them that makes it worth their while.
Quote by freedoms_stain
They'll sometimes offer to buy out the last 3 months of your existing contract if you're taking a price plan with them that makes it worth their while.

I cut down a contract and got Orange to buy out 8 months of it once, £200 in my hand right there. I needed the money.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman