Hello fellow Pit - goers.

Don't you also find it irritating when someone tells you that they stopped listening to their favorite band just because they became mainstream?

I had a chat with someone from my school a few days ago and he said he hates all Metallica albums after "Ride the Lightning" because they became "too mainstream".

Another person told me that he stopped listening to Flogging Molly after they became "too mainstream".

WTF is wrong with these kind of people? Why do they think it's necessary to stop liking/listening to their favorite bands after they've reached a certain level of success?
Is it perhaps because they don't want to "share" their music with others?

So, Pit-people, what is your opinion on this?
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

People don't like it when a band change their sound. Any time they do, they "sell out" or "go mainstream".
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I laugh and urinate all over them.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
i laugh
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
If I'm a fan sure I'll listen to the new stuff not regarding if they "sold out" but I'll treat it just like any other album. It can be good for some bands to change their sounds though. *Prepares anti-flame gear* I enjoyed St. Anger, not as much as their old albums but god damn it I enjoyed it
depends, of the band watered down thier sound in order to get more media attention, then I stop listening to them (and for the record no band I listen to has ever actually done this) if they just become popular without really changing anything other than haveing beter production then I really don't care about what other people say about it and I still like them.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
"Mainstream" could be used in a manner that implied they stopped listening after they became popular (I have a friend who was a HUGE Muse fan, but said he hated them after they became popular), or it could mean that they dislike the band because they changed their sound to be more sales-friendly, upon reaching a certain threshold of popularity.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
bcoz dey arnt tr00 kvlt nemor.

You must be pretty shallow to dismiss a band on the grounds that other people like them.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Last edited by Zero-Hartman at Oct 20, 2008,
I have friends who only listen to music that isn't mainstream and the second it becomes popular they ditch it and move onto something else. Its because they thinks it's cool to not like mainstream popular music and they like to think of themselves as liking random bands no-one else has heard of.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
I think it's funny because really, they're doing the opposite. When bands start out and make their first album for a major company, the label has alot of input in the music. They may decide to bring in session musicians or change the song completely or whatever. As bands become more popular, they have alot more freedom and to say a band has sold out is the complete opposite of what they actually have done, if you see what i'm saying.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by imdeth
If I'm a fan sure I'll listen to the new stuff not regarding if they "sold out" but I'll treat it just like any other album. It can be good for some bands to change their sounds though. *Prepares anti-flame gear* I enjoyed St. Anger, not as much as their old albums but god damn it I enjoyed it

Agreed on all points.

So long as I still like the music, I don't mind a band 'selling-out'. Like LostProphets. Fake Sounds... was their best album, and even though they have become much more mainstream, they are still alright, so I'll listen to them every now and then.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by Fleabag
Agreed on all points.

So long as I still like the music, I don't mind a band 'selling-out'. Like LostProphets. Fake Sounds... was their best album, and even though they have become much more mainstream, they are still alright, so I'll listen to them every now and then.

I too agree, although the only comparison I can make is that I really liked "Prometheus - The Discipline of Fire & Demise" by Emperor, even though it wasn't "true" black metal anymore.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by ross1234
I think it's funny because really, they're doing the opposite. When bands start out and make their first album for a major company, the label has alot of input in the music. They may decide to bring in session musicians or change the song completely or whatever. As bands become more popular, they have alot more freedom and to say a band has sold out is the complete opposite of what they actually have done, if you see what i'm saying.

Yeah but gennerally e people who complain are people who listened to them before they where on a major label. Nowadays a lot of bands sign to indie labels and build a fan base before signing to a major label.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If you stop listening to a band because they become mainstream, then u are just as close minded as the "mainstream" people imo.

Although there's 2 different kinds of mainstream:

- Mainstream: they get more publicity with their music.
- Mainstream(sound): they start making verse/chorus/verse/chorus/ etc. songs and are definately selling out

For the former, nothing wrong with that IMO. For the latter I agree.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by ross1234

I agree with ross on this.
It would be a real shame if bands didnt release new material, just because they are worried some fans may not like the new stuff. As long as the change is due to the artists personal tastes changing, and not just an attempt to sell to the masses, then it should be worthwhile (assuming the music is still good). I hate bands that sound the same as each other and I like creativity; which should be encouraged among all artists new and old.
If a band I like releases a new album then I will just have to judge it on its own, sure some albums may be better, but I wouldnt like a band releasing almost carbon copies of an album, no matter how good it is.

And to keep up the Metallica theme - IMO Master of Puppets and ..And Justice were the best, and St Anger a low point (to be nice). But hey, at least metallica then responded with Death Magnetic
Did you know that 37% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
I dont care really, as long as the band doesnt change it sound I still like it, even if it's the most popular band on earth.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
What people need to realize is Change=/=selling out

the sound changes because people changes. You can't expect a person to be writing the same type of lyrics or music from the same point of view he had years or months ago..and the fact that it changes just means they're human, they're not betraying the whole genre and fanbase the have/had because they refuse to remain static.

If bands never changed, there would be a certain point where we wouldn't either, because we'd get tired of the same old..

Quote by Survivalism
Who gives a shit? Good music is good music.

+mother****in'1
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.