most problems in this forum are from lack of knowledge on the basic techniques, hindering more advanced techniques, like muting and strumming can hinder the ability to sweep, or keeping your fingers to far from the fretboard hinders your ability to alternate pick.

but what basic technique could help with tapping and 8 finger tapping? would finger picking help? i want to be able to play a whole lead passage by tapping with just my right hand like Chris Broderick's arrangement of Rondo Alla Turca, minus the left hand doing rhythm by this time next year, and believe that there must be something much simpler that I'm missing thats stopping me from being able to do so.

if theres no simpler way of performing this technique has anyone got any tips on starting out with them?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
You basically have to use your right hand for legato, going through the same ultra slow motions as your left hand learnt to use, after a relatively short period of time you should notice all your fingers becoming more comfortable with tapping chords and legato.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by metallicafan616
if theres no simpler way of performing this technique has anyone got any tips on starting out with them?

Practice using the Pentatonic Shapes, like A Minor Shapes 1 and 4, starting at the 5th and 12th fret respectively.

You'll find that the notes will pop out a lot easier once you have developed the callouses on your RH fingers. It'll take a couple of weeks to get throught that pain barrier.

Tbh I don't do too much of this anymore, as I don't really utilize this technique in my writing.

Practice hammering on going up the scale first. Going back down is a lot more tricky as it involves hammering with either your 3rd finger or pinky (which is very tricky cos sometimes, in effect you'll be hammering blind).
argh, I've written about this a couple times, but whatever.

Tip 1. Do ALL the exercises you do with your left hand for your right.
Tip 2. When descending on a string, you can either pull off or remove the finger as you hammer on the next note. It's good however to be able to do both for different tone/dynamics.
Tip 3. When learning independent lead and bass, learn the parts separately and slowly put them together.
Tip 4. Start with simpler Multi-finger songs such as
Joe Satriani--Midnight
Joe Satriani--Day at the Beach
Joe Satriani--The Forgotten
Dave Martone--Tap Thang
Kiko Loueriou (Sorry that I butchered his last name probably)--Tapping Into My Dark Tranquility
(and power cosmic by joe satriani is great for working on the left hand)
When using multiple pick-hand fingers on multiple strings, and doing this quickly, what is the best way to mute the strings? When I do regular tapping on one string, using one pick-hand finger, I'm able to mute all the lower strings with my palm (in addition to using my index finger on my left hand to mute the higher strings). I haven't really tried much 8-finger tapping, but it seems like muting with your palm would be very difficult. Do you mute with the fingers instead?
looking at Chris Broderick he bends his right hand rather awkwardly, do i need to do this in order to tap efficiently?

and also, i guess doing what it says in the sticky but with the hands reversed will help right?

Tapitin, it's pretty hard to explain. I'll go more in depth later as I don't have much time right now.
Just about any type of muting you can think of can and probably often is used in multi finger tapping.
Mute with the right and left hand fingers, either hands palms,etc. On certain things(Building the Church by steve Vai) I even use part of my left forearm to mute (the hand comes over the neck unlike normal paying. Overall, Ideally most of the muting will come from the fingers, similarly to sweep picking.

Metallicafan, depending on what you are playing, it can be somewhat necessary to have have the hand run parallel to the strings, and sometimes it can be somewhat necessary to have it perpendicular to the strings (this is why chris broderick has the bent wrist). It really isn't that uncomfortable, and with time you'll see why both are useful. What do you mean by having the hands reversed?
You have to learn to isolate each hand, meaning that each hand is independent from each other. It takes a while but it's worth it. Also try a tapping lick while alternating with the index, middle, and ring fingers to hammer.
hue
Quote by TheShred201
Tapitin, it's pretty hard to explain. I'll go more in depth later as I don't have much time right now.
Just about any type of muting you can think of can and probably often is used in multi finger tapping.
Mute with the right and left hand fingers, either hands palms,etc. On certain things(Building the Church by steve Vai) I even use part of my left forearm to mute (the hand comes over the neck unlike normal paying. Overall, Ideally most of the muting will come from the fingers, similarly to sweep picking.

Metallicafan, depending on what you are playing, it can be somewhat necessary to have have the hand run parallel to the strings, and sometimes it can be somewhat necessary to have it perpendicular to the strings (this is why chris broderick has the bent wrist). It really isn't that uncomfortable, and with time you'll see why both are useful. What do you mean by having the hands reversed?

ill try that sock demon, and shred201 i mean as in using right instead of left hand or vise versa, as if trying to learn to play left handed.

One of the first multi-fingered tapping things I learned was the tapping lick in Sevens by Guthrie Govan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsCKpRzfMzU&feature=related

^ At like 1:10 into that video.

He uses a hairband or something to mute the strings, but it'd probably be more beneficial to learn to do it without one :P. It's alot of left hand muting.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed