Morning all, looking to get replacement pickups for my Tbird (if you're in here to hate, don't bother posting). I'm fairly set on getting EMGs but don't know if I should go for passive or active, mainly because I've no iea what the diffrence is! I know the Tbird has passives as stock, so if I do go active am I going to need to do any extra work to get them to function properly?
you need to replace all the electronics, then find some space in the cavity for the battery.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
all i know is that active pickups require batterys
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Quote by elcampbello
Morning all, looking to get replacement pickups for my Tbird (if you're in here to hate, don't bother posting). I'm fairly set on getting EMGs but don't know if I should go for passive or active, mainly because I've no iea what the diffrence is! I know the Tbird has passives as stock, so if I do go active am I going to need to do any extra work to get them to function properly?

There are two diferent ways to make your Bass active, one is to use battery powered active pickups which just boosts the output, whereas active electronics is far more versatile as not only can you boost your Basses output you can also change the tone as this form is actualy a batery powered preamplifier.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
passive pickups + good amp > active pickups + bad amp

TBH I find active electronics a bit needless when there should be a perfectly decen EQ on your amp. Make sure you have a good amp before buying new pickups!
Quote by Spaz91
passive pickups + good amp > active pickups + bad amp

TBH I find active electronics a bit needless when there should be a perfectly decen EQ on your amp. Make sure you have a good amp before buying new pickups!

That is a very blinkered point of view, I wonder if you've had the experience with a decent bass with actives or seen what decent actives can do to a mediocre bass.

Having owned a
US Precision De-Luxe
A 4 string MM Stingray
A Trace Elliot 'T' Bass
MM Stingray 5
G&L L2500 Tribute
G&L L2500
I think that I'm in a position to comment as I've also owned some of the best Bass amplification on the market.
I also put an active kit on my 1965 Fender Jazz Bass.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
active isn't just an EQ. it's a way it sounds. nd I gotta tell you- I'm addicted to active, I don't think I'm ever gonna go passive. it gives you much better sounding punch, better air, cleaner lows, and has much less emphasis on the mids. if I find a passive bass I just need, I'll go for it, but other than that, I'm gonna stay with my battery guzzlers.

also, active electronics tend to be less reliant on the tonewoods, making it so that you while get much more options with your treble than you have been used to.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
From what I understand, EMG doesn't make pickups that retrofit T-Bird. Do you really think it's worth routing out the bass for pickups?

That said, I think an active preamp than new pickups. It'd help that T-Bird tone immensely.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by John Swift
That is a very blinkered point of view, I wonder if you've had the experience with a decent bass with actives or seen what decent actives can do to a mediocre bass.

I've been to music shops, lied about looking for a new bass and tried out all the most expensive ones, eg. musicmans MIA fenders and the like. I didnt prefer the tone of any but the passives were much cheaper. So Id rather have a MIA Fender P or J than an active Musicman if I had to pay for it.

EDIT: Like all guitar related things it comes down to a matter of taste. I personally thing the tonal range of a passive bass and decent amp is wide enough.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by the humanity
active isn't just an EQ. it's a way it sounds. nd I gotta tell you- I'm addicted to active, I don't think I'm ever gonna go passive. it gives you much better sounding punch, better air, cleaner lows, and has much less emphasis on the mids. if I find a passive bass I just need, I'll go for it, but other than that, I'm gonna stay with my battery guzzlers.

This is why I choose passive basses--A pretty heavy majority of the active basses I've tried sound thin in the mid-range no matter how much time you spend equing them. I also need to be able to fully adjust my tone and volume from my bass within 30 seconds, and fiddling with 7 different knobs and a couple switches on my bass really irks me. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, I've played a few that sounded fine, but in the end I just used the built in pre to get them sounding like passive basses again

Maybe if i hated my midrange, or wanted a bunch of trebble sizzle on top of booming bass with nothing in the middle I'd like it.
Quote by Spaz91
I've been to music shops, lied about looking for a new bass and tried out all the most expensive ones, eg. musicmans MIA fenders and the like. I didnt prefer the tone of any but the passives were much cheaper. So Id rather have a MIA Fender P or J than an active Musicman if I had to pay for it.

EDIT: Like all guitar related things it comes down to a matter of taste. I personally thing the tonal range of a passive bass and decent amp is wide enough.

And there is my point "You've been to music shops and tried them".
Before I buy I insist on being allowed to take them out and try them in a gigging situation, as an old and respected wrinkly I'm allowed to do that.
The same applies to amps and cabs; no try no buy.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by dullsilver_mike
This is why I choose passive basses--A pretty heavy majority of the active basses I've tried sound thin in the mid-range no matter how much time you spend equing them. I also need to be able to fully adjust my tone and volume from my bass within 30 seconds, and fiddling with 7 different knobs and a couple switches on my bass really irks me. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, I've played a few that sounded fine, but in the end I just used the built in pre to get them sounding like passive basses again

Maybe if i hated my midrange, or wanted a bunch of trebble sizzle on top of booming bass with nothing in the middle I'd like it.

I like how passives sound, I just don't see 'me' in them. you can boost the mids without them going and drowning out everything else. that makes me happy. those thin, shaky mids can break through the mix without breaking through the subs and air. which I like a lot.

but that's just me, you obviously do not and will not ever want to sound like me, even though I sound way better
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Some active Basses have a mid range sweep so that you can control the mids, the UK manufactured J-Retro kit is one such piece of equipment.
Not all actives are the same configuration.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yeah, I mean really. If your mid's spec'd at 500Hz, you'll have more midrange than you want. Crank it, and you'll sound like a car horn in a plywood box. If it's at 1kHz, not so much.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by John Swift
Some active Basses have a mid range sweep so that you can control the mids, the UK manufactured J-Retro kit is one such piece of equipment.
Not all actives are the same configuration.

I know, that's why a specified "a heavy majority" rather than speaking in absolutes. It's all personal preference anyway of course, like I said--I always find myself dialing the tone to a psuedo "passive" sound anyway, so a passive bass is the best for me.

I was just being silly with the comments at the end, not inflamatory.
Quote by Spaz91

lol, the guitarist of my band said the exact same thing about the 3 band eq on my spector, but, like john swift suggested to you, he had used a guitar with a good active preamp. But that's probably because neither of us have ever actually seen a guitar with a multi-band preamp. Why have on board pre amps (and active pickups, to some extent) never caught on with guitarists, anyway?

Still, TS, I wouldn't put in any pickups that aren't direct replacements. You'd have to reroute the pickup cavities, etc, and possibly drill more holes for the knobs, depending on what preamp you use
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
lol, the guitarist of my band said the exact same thing about the 3 band eq on my spector, but, like john swift suggested to you, he had used a guitar with a good active preamp. But that's probably because neither of us have ever actually seen a guitar with a multi-band preamp. Why have on board pre amps (and active pickups, to some extent) never caught on with guitarists, anyway?

Still, TS, I wouldn't put in any pickups that aren't direct replacements. You'd have to reroute the pickup cavities, etc, and possibly drill more holes for the knobs, depending on what preamp you use

too many knobs will confuse the average guitarist. my guitarist once actually told me he wants no instrument with 5+ knobs.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ really? When I showed him why the preamp is so useful, he thought it was a really cool idea, and thought guitars should have them too. He even started thinking active pickups were a good idea (before, he thought they sounded too sterile). Granted, my bass only looks like it has 4 knobs (concentric bass/treble pot), but you could that with a guitar too I guess (though they might find concentric knobs even more confusing). Still, I think it's just out of habit. If they started making guitars with active EQ's, and that caught on, then they wouldn't have a problem with it.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I think so too. I'm not saying all guitarists agrees with mine. I do tend to find the weird ones. I also have the rhythm guitarist who refuses solos and an acoustic player who is of the opinion he can make more sounds with said acoustic than any electric player. they are all great.

I just wish I could find one without any bizarre quirks...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by kugelspot
Why have on board pre amps (and active pickups, to some extent) never caught on with guitarists, anyway?

Feedback is the answer, one of the the guitarists in a Rock Blues Band that I played in had active pick-ups on his Les Paul the result feed back.
Strats and semis for instance are bad enough regarding feedback without making the matter worse by adding actives.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
EMGs are a very, very popular pickup on guitar, and they're actually active pickups, not passive pickups with a preamp. That said, guitar amps don't even friggen have active preamps, let alone the axes themselves!
Quote by Cody_Grey102