So for that full, resonant tone (as opposed to the typical tinny sound one would associate with picking on a nylon string), what pick should I go for? Alan Dugain's website looks promising, but I have no idea why a plec made of bone is superior to one made of plastic.

EDIT: this is strictly for use on a nylon-stringed guitar.
I'd say go with something med-light. Claytons are good for not giving alot of scratch on the wound strings. Nylons would be good as well.

The reason I'd say go med or light is because if you use a heavy and pick hard you'll pluck the guitar out of tune. I know from experience. XD
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
I should think that your own fingers and nails would do the job quite nicely.
Quote by The_rylan
I'd say go with something med-light. Claytons are good for not giving alot of scratch on the wound strings. Nylons would be good as well.

The reason I'd say go med or light is because if you use a heavy and pick hard you'll pluck the guitar out of tune. I know from experience. XD

I use .75's to 1.14's and I've never had a problem with that. You just need to make sure that you don't force the pick. Gotta be firm, but light. I can really dig into the strings without any problems either.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.