I'm gonna buy a distortion pedal this week, but my friends tell me that both are the best distortion pedal out there. What are the pros and cons about either? or is there another one I should look at? I'm looking for a full but not crazy distortion, and I already have a muff so no need to suggest one.
Well for starters there not distortion pedals there Over Drive pedals. They can be used as a stand alone to emulate tube over drive think classic rock/blues or thrown on top of your pre existing lead channel to give it a little bit of a boost. Also can be used as a clean boost to push your preamp tubes a little bit harder. But it is not a distortion pedal so it might not be what your looking for. What amp do you have now and what type of music do you play?
really OD and Distortion pedals both do pretty much the same thing, the main difference is that OD uses softer clipping and sounds more like an overdriven tube amp (which is why people use them in front of tube amps to add more dirt)

I can give you pedal reccomendations but I need to know what amp you have and what sound you are going for, Tubescreamers are nice, but only for certain types of sounds.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
both pedals suck compared to the fultone OCD.....Period !!!!
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
How much distortion you looking for? Tubescreamer on its highest point is still very light compared to the fuzz...it can get you srv distortion and a little more...I use mine for classic rock songs such as can't you see or like sublime stuff that you dont want crazy loud distortion
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I'm playing some Alternative/Pop rock, so I need bright and edgy sounding tone. I have a Crate V33, but I'm getting it retubed with JJ's so I don't know how the tube distortion/overdrive will sound. I'm not looking for Marshall-like high gain. Also, I think I mentioned earlier, I have a little big muff, so would it be possible to layer the overdrive/fuzz for good sound?
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
I'm playing some Alternative/Pop rock, so I need bright and edgy sounding tone. I have a Crate V33, but I'm getting it retubed with JJ's so I don't know how the tube distortion/overdrive will sound. I'm not looking for Marshall-like high gain. Also, I think I mentioned earlier, I have a little big muff, so would it be possible to layer the overdrive/fuzz for good sound?

Tube screamers are anything but bright and edgy, they're very mid heavy, transparent and have a very soft attack.

Layering the fuzz and OD will most likely sound very muddy. Have you ever tried turning your amp to 6-7 and using the fuzz? Fuzz boxes work especially well with cranked tube amps and it will behave much more like a fuzz box should than when being used with an external OD unit.

Second off, getting it retubed with JJs will not make your sound bright and edgy, if anything it will make it darker and more subdued. At least if you're talking about JJ 12ax7s. If I were you I'd try Tung-sol reissues instead, they have similar gain to the JJ 12ax7 but with a brighter top end and are voiced a bit like Mullards. They're fairly cheap as well, around the same price as JJ/Tesla 12ax7s, maybe slightly more expensive.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 20, 2008,
I was playing around with a Line6 POD xT Live yesterday and came across the Tubescreamer setting and that's what I'm basing my judgement off of, so I guess it's an inaccurate simulation. So, new question, what kind of pedal would get the sound that I'm looking for? and a preferable pre-amp tube?
The "feel" of a tube screamer is a bit unique. You can hear it in sound clips but you really have to play one yourself to know what I'm talking about when I say it has a "soft attack", it just makes playing feel a bit spongy. It's not an especially gritty sounding overdrive. Take a look at the fulltone OCD. It will get an edgier, crunchier type of overdrive than the TS (it does a pretty good cranked AC30 impression imo)

That being said it's not as if JJ/Tesla make bad preamp tubes, they're actually quite good, especially considering how cheap they are, but if you're looking for a bright edgy tone, take a look at Tung-sol, they have more of that bright character.

But to answer your question about the TS9 vs. TS808, the TS9 is thinner and more transparent, the TS808 has more gain on tap and is beefier sounding. But they're still both very mid heavy and have that characteristic tubescreamer feel.