It's nearing that time of year when I get given monetary donations for doing nothing.

So, I have three things lined up, and I want opinions.

1) Fender Lite Ash Strat
I want a maple-necked guitar with single coil, and any wood that isn't mahogany, a 25.5 scale (I hate the scale Gibson use), a "natural" finish, so I can see the wood, etc.
I want a different guitar to what I have (to expand tonal options) with great cleans and good low-gain to mid-gain sounds.
This guitar seems perfect, black pickguard and three black SDs - should complement my gear already.
BUT, I'm not sure on the lightweight ash it uses. I would get an alder guitar, but this has everything I want, so will the ash deliver?

2) Fuzz. I want fuzz, from Hendrix to Muse, I want crazy, infinitely sustained filthy fuzz.
I want something relatively inexpensive, so I was thinking of a Big Muff. Yay or nay?

3) Wah. I want a wah that is true bypass, and sounds good. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks in advance!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
The guitar looks nice. For the fuzz I would get a Fuzz Factory, bit expensive but you can get alot of sounds out of it. For the wah: good wah's are very expensive, so you'd be better of buying a standard Crybaby and mod it of buy it modded.
Quote by WtrPlyr
The guitar looks nice. For the fuzz I would get a Fuzz Factory, bit expensive but you can get alot of sounds out of it. For the wah: good wah's are very expensive, so you'd be better of buying a standard Crybaby and mod it of buy it modded.

Thanks for tip on the fuzz, seems PERFECT for my needs.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Any help with wah, etc?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
are you any good at soldering? some fuzzes use ridiculously simple circuits, you could probably make one for, say, £15-£20 (with quality parts). obviously if you can't solder that's not an option.

ash versus alder is kinda preference, you'd need to try them. the lite ash does use alnico II pro single coils, which are quite soft/warm-sounding, so that might round off the ash slightly (though it depends on the individual piece of ash, ash can vary quite a bit i think).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you any good at soldering? some fuzzes use ridiculously simple circuits, you could probably make one for, say, £15-£20 (with quality parts). obviously if you can't solder that's not an option.

ash versus alder is kinda preference, you'd need to try them. the lite ash does use alnico II pro single coils, which are quite soft/warm-sounding, so that might round off the ash slightly (though it depends on the individual piece of ash, ash can vary quite a bit i think).

I personally have never soldered, but I know someone who can, and fixed a few guitar cables where the copper wires came loose.

And I am worrying about the wood, the guitar is perfect, but the ash is a bit of a wildcard - and I'm not too sure my local shop stocks this specific model, but I will eventually get around to checking.
I just hope the ash can get really nice cleans/blue-y tone. I hear it's NOT as warm as alder, and I like warm, but my Ibby can do warm if I need it.
I'm getting this strat for singles coils, maple neck, and a nice low-gain tone - I would get a normal strat, but this one looks perfect.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
ash should be alright, i mean the earliest strats and teles were ash. though i think the lite ash is sen, so probably not the same species as the swamp ash which fender used...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ash should be alright, i mean the earliest strats and teles were ash. though i think the lite ash is sen, so probably not the same species as the swamp ash which fender used...

Light ash is a different term for swamp ash, as opposed to north american hard ash. Those are the only two species of ash that I heard of being used in guitars, so I guess the strat's body is made of one of those two species.
Whether or not the Fender is made of 'light' ash (swamp ash) or 'lite' ash (just a somewhat light piece of hard ash which is considerably harder and has a treblier, more direct and harsh sound) is something I don't know. Sorry.

However, the Lite Ash Fenders sound exceptionally well for what they cost. Not harsh at all but a nicely round sound, though I've seen several with poor fretwork, so much that sharp edges would stick out several mm on both sides. Definitely something you'd need to try before buying.
Quote by TheQuailman
Light ash is a different term for swamp ash, as opposed to north american hard ash. Those are the only two species of ash that I heard of being used in guitars, so I guess the strat's body is made of one of those two species.
Whether or not the Fender is made of 'light' ash (swamp ash) or 'lite' ash (just a somewhat light piece of hard ash which is considerably harder and has a treblier, more direct and harsh sound) is something I don't know. Sorry.

However, the Lite Ash Fenders sound exceptionally well for what they cost. Not harsh at all but a nicely round sound, though I've seen several with poor fretwork, so much that sharp edges would stick out several mm on both sides. Definitely something you'd need to try before buying.

i doubt very much that they're shipping american swamp ash to korea for those guitars. there are a bunch of different species of ash, i know of sen/japanese ash, and i'd assume something similar grows in korea too. i mean there's ash which grows in europe too.

i've tried two lite ashes- a strat which i didn't like much, and a tele which i did. this seems to tie in with everything i'm hearing about them (including what you said), in that the QC seems to be patchy. definitely would want to try before buying...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha, no problem. fender isn't exactly trying to make it easy to differentiate.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies - will definitely try before I buy, as I always do with any guitars I decide to buy.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO