So I just watched "No Country For Old Men" last night, and I'm confused as heck about the ending. Was it a dream, or did it really happen? Can someone explain it to me?

And don't respond with just "it was/wasn't a dream", actually explain why you think so. Please and thank you.
The guy got away, and the man and his wife are dead

That's all know

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
SPOILER WARNING: (always wanted to say that)
The old cop guy, forget his name but he is played by Tommy Lee Jones, he sits there in the house on the bed with the killer in the same room. He knows that but even so he walks away without doing anything, cus he realizes that this is no "country for old men". That's what the dream means as well, his father is waiting there for him at the camp fire to join him when he's too old
Quote by Equivalence
SPOILER WARNING: (always wanted to say that)
The old cop guy, forget his name but he is played by Tommy Lee Jones, he sits there in the house on the bed with the killer in the same room. He knows that but even so he walks away without doing anything, cus he realizes that this is no "country for old men". That's what the dream means as well, his father is waiting there for him at the camp fire to join him when he's too old

Oh, I get it, the TS is asking if dream sequence at the end of the film was a dream, not if the whole series of events was a dream. Considering that Tommy Lee Jones' dead father was part of it, and that the rest of the film doesn't have ghosts or anything fantastical like that in it, i'm going to say that it was in fact a dream.
Here's some facts: Coen brothers make better comedies than dramas
two and a half men.
You need to edit the title of the thread warning for a spoiler. Just hovering over the thread name to get the gist of the thread partially ruined the movie for me since I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for that.

To avoid any more spoiling I haven't read any posts in this thread nor will I be in the thread after I click to post this post.
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
Quote by Cameronrobson
Here's some facts: Coen brothers make better comedies than dramas

True. Luckily, NCFOM wasn't a drama.
Was what a dream?

Was the thing that Tommy Lee Jone's character prefixed with ' i had a dream last night' a dream? yes

Was the whole film a dream? no
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
i really don't get whats so great about that movie... i mean it was good and evetrything but it wasn't a masterpiece.

with that being said the big lebowski was such a great film.
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
*dan get's film out of box and put's it in DVD tray*

"Mm ill check my emails before i watch the film.. what the hell, might aswell check the pit..."

*see's thread "no country for old men"*

"hmm what is this about..."

*clicks thread... slowly read's a little bit..*

"ahh ****"

*dan takes the dvd out of the DVD tray and watches some TV instead*

Thanks!
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Trefellin
^Watch it anyway. There's a good shootout and lots of graphic killing.

Take this man's advice, for he is advertised as Jesus.
Not a dream. Just a very depressing ending where the cop couldn't catch that son of a beach killer.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Some parts in the story are left uncertain to let the viewer figure it out themselves.

***SPOILER***
When Chigurh, the killer (Javier Bardem), meets the wife of Llewelyn in the house, after he flips the coin and tells her to call, it shows you the outside of the house and you see him leaving the house. So the viewer kinda decides if she lives or not, it all depended if she called heads or tails, but we never saw that because it was cut just after they argued.

Same again, did Chigurh get the money? I assume he did considering he gave the kids on the bike a bloody $100 bill for his shirt. And the motel scene when Tommy Lee Jone's character see's screws and a nickel on the floor, which Chigurh used earlier on in the movie to get in another vent.

As for Tommy Lee Jones entering the motel room, I don't know if Chigurh was in there or not, it showed you he was waiting with his silenced shotgun (which is an awesome weapon) but Jones' character walked in casually and didn't look in Chigurh's general direction. He only kills if he's been spotted, so when Jones went in the bathroom Chigurh must've left.

Thats what I think anyway...The last motel scene, Chigurh probably wasn't there at all, Jones' was worried he was behind the door.

I don't think there was a dream sequence though. =/
Last edited by Chen-min at Oct 20, 2008,
To all those who complained about spoilers:
If you are going into a thread called "No Country For Old Men", are you expecting it to be about the first 20 minutes? Its common sense that a thread with a movie title is going to talk about the ending.

And plus, I didn't spoil the ending at all. I made no reference to what happened in the movie. Every movie ever made could end with "and it was all a dream". So no, I didn't really spoil anything.