Ok, so I've been using my zoom G2 for quite a while. The distortion on it isn't the best, but it is so versatile that its definitely worth using.

Anyway, since I was sick of replacing batteries all the time, I decided to use a power brick.

Now I also have a crybaby from hell, I have:

Guitar --> Crybaby --> Zoom G2 --> Amp

Problem is, when I have it all plugged in, using the power brick, I always get this weird ass background interference. I never thought it was too bad, but the other day I was playing it with the band and it was really noticeable since we have to play mega loud to be heard over our drummer!

I have also made some observations:

1. When I supply power to just the crybaby (and run the G2 on batteries), I don't get much background noise.

2. If I plug my guitar straight in to the G2 and forget about the wah, I don't get much background noise.

So it seems that the crybaby is somehow picking up some interference but the power supply is making it worse?

On the manual for the G2 it says in the troubleshoot section:

"
High level of noise:
Is zoom AC adapter being used? Be sure to use only adapter for 9V DC, 300mA with center minus plug (Zoom AD- 0006).
"

But this is crazy, surely I can just use a power brick. My power brick is AC-> DC-9V 450mA. I was wondering if the problem lay here (the incorrect number of mA). But I thought that all you needed was for this number to be greater than the requirement for the pedal.

So would getting a different power brick make a difference? ( the are pretty expensive). I know I could just use batteries, but this is really annoying for me because I have a nice neat pedal board set-up now and I don't want to have to keep ripping up the pedals to replace batteries.

Sorry for this being so long, just wanted to make sure you got all the details. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You could always just get a 300mA adapter, not a whole second powerbrick...
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Feedback is caused by an ungrounded circuit. It could be in your pedals, in your amp or in your guitar. This is something I know very little about, but it's a lead (pardon the pun). Maybe you know a good electrician or a science teacher who could help you track it down.

I found a website a while ago that explained how to ground the electic circuit in many guitars, but I can't find it anymore.

Keep us posted. This is interesting. Sorry for the little help I can offer...
Ah, thanks for the input.

However, I know the root of the problem isn't with the multi-effects pedal primarily because when I have the set-up as explained but with the G2 using batteries, its all fine (and the wah on its own seems to be fine too I think).

My power brick says 450mA total. So I think the problem is that the 450mA isn't enough for both the 300mA of my G2 and the output for the crybaby from hell (don't know its requirements, I thought it said <2.5 but this seems a bit small).

Is this how it all works? (I'm sorry for having such a bad knowledge of this stuff, and to think I did physics at A-level). So maybe I need a power-brick with higher mA rating.

:S
Quote by Jamma
My power brick says 450mA total. So I think the problem is that the 450mA isn't enough for both the 300mA of my G2 and the output for the crybaby from hell (don't know its requirements, I thought it said <2.5 but this seems a bit small).
The requirments should be listed on both pedals. They should have the same tension as your power adapter (probably 9V) and the added currents of both pedals should be lower than the 450mA of the adapter.

Now, whether that would cause noise I don't know.

Is this how it all works? (I'm sorry for having such a bad knowledge of this stuff, and to think I did physics at A-level).
That's ok. You should concentrate on playing guitar anyway. There are too many engineers and too little musicians in this world.
Heh agreed.
Thing is, apparently my crybaby has only a current of <2.5mA, and the other is 300mA. (they are both 9V like the power brick). Maybe the power brick can only handle this amount if its spread out over the different sockets a bit more? (there are 5 slots)

Its a pain in the ass, because I've looked at other power bricks, and in general, they have far less than 300mA per output (often 100mA, or even 75mA). Given research so far, I'd have to spend over a hundred pounds on a jim dunlop one which is the only one I've seen which seems to be able to handle the large current of my G2 as well as another pedal. I guess I could always get a cheaper one and use it separately for my wah, but I don't know if any of this will make any difference!!!!

Ive also seen things such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Effect-Pedal-Power-Supply-9v-5-Pedals_W0QQitemZ250300147051QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250300147051&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

But I am weary that these kind of things will also be noisy.

Thanks for the responses