Page 1 of 3
It's pretty beyond lame. The guy was in classical guitar lessons with me before I dropped them (Love playing it, I just didn't really get into the fingerstyle much), and ever since I dropped, he's been talking amazing amounts of crap about how he's the greatest musician in our school, and how he's the greatest guitarist ever...problem is, he sucks. He sucks at guitar. He totally sucks at band. And he kinda sucks at life.

I bet he even sucks at Guitar Hero (OMFG!!)

One of those guys who does't wanna catch the clue.

So anywayz, I went to breakfast this morning, and he was playing the solo to Santeria REALLY badly, so I asked to see his guitar, and I showed him how I do things. He started talking again about how acoustic "really isn't his thing" and "everyone plays it different".

Sorry kid, I could tell you were trying to play it the real way. Random notes don't equal solo.

Anywho long story short the kid challenged me to a guitar duel. Seriously. Who does that kinda thing?

So whadya think? Should I go all Ralph Machio on his ass? Or maybe be the bigger man and turn it down?

I am but a normal Mexitalian, I know not of these things.

Peace, Love, Rock.
be the bigger man and walk away, for 2 reasons

1. you dont wanna humiliate him.
2. you'll prolly portray yourself as an asshole if you really go all ralph machio on his ass
Wow I've always wanted a guitar duel! Do it and just completely own him!
I would just ignore him, if you know your the better player then no point in proving it. Even though I really don't like how people brag like that about guitar if he really isnt that good. But its all your choice. Just hope he doesn't have a magic lamp and Jesus pops out and makes him god at guitar.
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
Knock him down a peg.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Accept the guitar duel. You get a chance to play guitar, and u will get more selfconfident.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I say be the bigger man......and break out "Dueling Banjos"! Or "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". If all else fails, then you should go the gentleman's way and go pistols at dawn.
Why not just talk to him and perhap's make a friend out of this, or atleast a jamming buddy, he may talk crap but im sure it's because he envy's your skill's at guitar, so why not just play along with him, maybe just doing some backing chord's and let him play a little solo and dont say, no no, this is how's it's done, im sure if you just give him like 10/ 15 minute's of just jamming together, he'll probably stop doing all that and you'll have got something out of it, more than what you would if you show him up in front of people. if you do this and he still be's a dick just leave him be and walk away from it all.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
My Religious Studies teacher challenged me to a guitar 'duel'. I turned him down.

Okay, he just forgot about it
Yeah man, this guy was a jamming buddy for a while, but he's one of those guys that SERIOUSLY thinks he's better than everyone else, and when you jam with him, he likes to point out how his technique is the balls, and yours sucks said appendage.

Despite the fact that 99% of his playing is the equivalent of listening to Dragonforce fornicate themselves with their own amps to the tune of "Operation Ground and Pound" while on some REALLY bad grass.

I tried the friendly igoring thing...it did nay work lol!
Be all cool and say : "yeah sure" and start playing, and in the middle of a solo hit him in the head with your guitar.
kthxbai.
Quote by zac89
be the bigger man and walk away, for 2 reasons

1. you dont wanna humiliate him.
2. you'll prolly portray yourself as an asshole if you really go all ralph machio on his ass

Er.. yeh you do.

If you know you're better, then take him down
...the better idea would be is asking him to name a solo he really wants to learn, or that he thinks is cool, and just play it without a hard look on your face.... that way, you don't need the battle, and he'll most likely shut up.....

....if above doesn't work, just learn some neo-classical speedy-yet-easy licks, they usually make people shut up
Id take it if it were just a friendly duel, but in your case Id turn it down, all it would do is give him further social suicide if you massacre him. Besides, it would piss him off more if you dont even face him (ESPECIALLY later in his life when he might realise how foolish and bad a player he is, he will look back on the events and feel stupid).
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

What the fuck man!? That's SWEET

I think I might actually use that!

Somebuddy Gonna Get Their Head Cut!!!!
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by OneWingedAngelN

So anywayz, I went to breakfast this morning, and he was playing the solo to Santeria REALLY badly, so I asked to see his guitar, and I showed him how I do things. He started talking again about how acoustic "really isn't his thing" and "everyone plays it different".

Sorry kid, I could tell you were trying to play it the real way.

Sounds like you're ALSO a judgmental dick, and a bit egotistical. Who gives a crap how he plays a solo. Who gives a crap who's "better". You come across as an egotistical little snob in every post you've made in this thread. As Zappa said, just shut up and play your guitar.

For the record, you're in school yourself. Stop calling people "kid". I'm old enough to date your mother, YOU sir are a child yourself.
Quote by Mikeyw1233
Wow I've always wanted a guitar duel! Do it and just completely own him!

Ohhhhhhhh yeah
With all this guitar duel stuff, it's incredibly lame if it's in a similar vein to like, a (non-sporting) fight.

Though if you guys are doing it for some fun and possibly to entertain others then go for it, they can be fun.

Though down my end, what I see as a "fun guitar duel" would be known as Jamming.
It really depends on how good you are. If you can just play everything he knows but a tad bit better, have a mediocre grasp on scales, and know the basics of technique, you're both going to look like dumbasses. Just because you can play a solo cleaner, or improv better doesn't make you a great player. I can improv at guitar better than a quadrapelegic... doesn't mean I'm good though.

If you can seriously bring to the table multiple types of playing, numerous licks, ultra clean technique, and some emotion, then go for it. If you're going to go play Sweet Child o' Mine slightly better than he does, I'm gonna bust through the door and throw down some Al Di Meola and rusty cooley and you will both feel like dumbasses.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Battle him and wipe the floor with his ass. But DO NOT BRAG if you win. That just makes you an asshole.
Ive been challenged to a "guitar duel" before.
Some friend of my drummers came over during our practice.
As long as you dont be a Malmsteen about it you wont be looked down upon.
I didn't even say anything about being better or being worse.
I simply let him come to the conclusion by himself.
If you do things right people wont think you've done anything at all.
Quote by OneWingedAngelN
It's pretty beyond lame. The guy was in classical guitar lessons with me before I dropped them (Love playing it, I just didn't really get into the fingerstyle much), and ever since I dropped, he's been talking amazing amounts of crap about how he's the greatest musician in our school, and how he's the greatest guitarist ever...problem is, he sucks. He sucks at guitar. He totally sucks at band. And he kinda sucks at life.

I bet he even sucks at Guitar Hero (OMFG!!)

One of those guys who does't wanna catch the clue.

Sorry kid, I could tell you were trying to play it the real way. Random notes don't equal solo.

Anywho long story short the kid challenged me to a guitar duel. Seriously. Who does that kinda thing?

So whadya think? Should I go all Ralph Machio on his ass? Or maybe be the bigger man and turn it down?

I am but a normal Mexitalian, I know not of these things.

Peace, Love, Rock.

Even if you're not full blooded mexican, you still have some mexican blood in you, and one thing you should know is we never back down when we are challenged. We like our tequila straight, our food tasty, and our women in the kitchens and bedrooms. So take his sorry ass down and make him your bitch in front of everyone.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Well if you want to be a total asshole you should wait for him to finish up his piece then say "sorry, umm, was that red green green blue or red green blue green?" Otherwise I'd just say destroy him, then tell him it was a close battle just to be nice.
Lol, I'm not usually this judgemental, but the guy is a real prick about it...like he goes around telling everyone he's better at everything...he challenged a guy to a piano duel apparently too lol...otherwise, I'm cool with everyone,Especially beginner guitarists. just this one guy's kinda pushing it lol!
Quote by Jango22
Knock him down a peg.

Jango22 I believe I just creamed myself, good answer.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
He is the one who is cocky and lame enough to suggest it, so accept it and pwn his ass.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Say you won't do it, he'll call you a pussy, then woop his ass. That way you win and still don't look bad for owning him.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
just ignore him
if he doesnt stop ranting on, then you kick him in the balls.
if he still doesnt stop, then you go into his dorm room and strangle him with his own guitar strings. and then say" haha b!tch i use elixers!"

just kidding, just ignore him, because if u accept, and u beat him, he'll be like, oh my guitar was out of tune and ask for a rematch. the kid sounds like a freakso if you do what he wants you to do you'll just regret it.
Page 1 of 3