Page 1 of 2
Read: http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-242636.html

Well, what do you think? Maybe I'm too artsy fartsy, but it upsets me to no end that a creative project has been pulled from the shelves because some of the art contained therein could potentially be offensive to a certain demographic ( you decide if it would upset a small number of Muslims or a large number of fundementalist Christians more) and therefor hurt sales.

The game looked absolutely beautiful and sounded innovative and engaging; and I would have likely called it a work of art after trying it. Now however, I think its artistic integrity is gone and it is just another stupid useless product someone is trying to sell me.

edit* also pity me everyone, this is the first time I've started a thread in the pit; my life gets a little more pathetic every day
I think its gay. I'm sick of cry baby muslims throwing temper tantrums about everything.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Pathetic. I can understand if it said something like 'Fucking Muslims, suck my fuckin dick do do do' but it just quoted the Qu'Ran...How many songs have quotes from the Bible in it?
RULE BRITANNIA
what happened? I've been looking forward to that one.
FREE THE PEAR

Robot Lewis Stevenson of the Timesplitters group! Join!
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Pathetic. I can understand if it said something like 'Fucking Muslims, suck my fuckin dick do do do' but it just quoted the Qu'Ran...How many songs have quotes from the Bible in it?

yeah, but those are two completely different religions with vastly different takes on how their holy book should be used.
Jesus Christ....

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
What doesn't offend them? The funny thing is that the song has been out for like 2 years.

What is worse is the people that give into their bullshit
guys, u know the muslims didn't say nethin abt this?? they don't know a fucking thing abt it.

this is just ea shitting their pants for no fucking reason
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
Well I don't think anyone should go blanketing all Muslims with blame. The fellow that wrote the song was Muslim and obviously didn't see any problem with it. I think the potentially offended Muslims are those very few who have this bizarre interpretation that any content from the koran cannot be associated with music--an idea that defies both orthodoxy and modern liberal views.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the real people they are afraid of offending are extreme Christians, especially in the US, where anything remotely Muslim automatically kills something's maketability.
I think its a load of crap. When I read that today I was slightly peeved at it. It is not like the verses are offensive. This game has nothing offensive about it. The mentality of muslims piss me off so much, its no wonder I shunned my heritage. My parents still give me hell for being an atheist and not a "good muslim" boy. Its because of crap like this. Everything is an offense. You are not allowed to question. Shut up, put up, end of.

Atheism ftw!

(Wow I went off on a tangent).
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Reports say that Sony is recalling the game over fears that the passages in question could deeply offend Muslims.

It has nothing to do with anyone being offended....yet.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Reports say that Sony is recalling the game over fears that the passages in question could deeply offend Muslims.

It has nothing to do with anyone being offended....yet.

THANK YOU!!!!
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
Yeah YET, but Muslims are notorious for throwing shit storms when something doesn't go their way.
I don't know what LittleBigPlanet is so I can't comment. But I do hate it when muslims complain about Britain and Western Countries when they have come from Arabland to live here. I mean wtf?!?! If you don't like it the f*ck off!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
How many songs have quotes from the Bible in it?

Hammerhead- The Offspring

"You know I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I feel no evil for thou art with me."
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
again, what happened? link, plz?
FREE THE PEAR

Robot Lewis Stevenson of the Timesplitters group! Join!
Quote by mitythor666
guys, u know the muslims didn't say nethin abt this?? they don't know a fucking thing abt it.

this is just ea shitting their pants for no fucking reason

Well if EA are shitting their pants over it, it probably won't be for a good reason, since they have nothing to do with it.
Quote by SlipknotRule93
I don't know what LittleBigPlanet is so I can't comment. But I do hate it when muslims complain about Britain and Western Countries when they have come from Arabland to live here. I mean wtf?!?! If you don't like it the f*ck off!

wow...just wow
Jeeze I really didn't intend this to be a hate storm on one religion, how about hating the company for not having any creative integrity?

This will probably end up closed with the direction it's going.

edit*
Quote by jesus-mobile
again, what happened? link, plz?

link is in my first post.
Somewhere in America...

"Right boys, just had news that an English heavy metal band called Iron Maiden are using a line from the bible in a song about the devil. This will not go unpunished."
Maybe they shouldn't buy the ****ng game then. I'm ****ing sick of shit like this.

EDIT: Actually I've changed my mind, I don't care.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by Website
Cached pages on the official PlayStation forum claim that the two phrases are (literally translated from the original Arabic): "Every soul shall have the taste of death" and "All that is on earth will perish."

That's so cool. If I was a child playing a game and it said that, I'd probably cry, yes, but then I'd laugh.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Jeeze I really didn't intend this to be a hate storm on one religion, how about hating the company for not having any creative integrity?

This will probably end up closed with the direction it's going.

edit*

link is in my first post.

I think Media Molecule deserve quite a few points for creativity actually. It's not uncommon for companies to buy other peoples music for soundtracks instead of making their own.
It's bullshit. Apparently the concept of parental responsibilities in purchasing games for their children, or adults knowingly buying something has been replaced by censoring ideas. It's just the TV and radio industry: if you don't want your kids introduced to it, then simply turn it off, switch the channel/station or don't give them access to it. Grown adults should be able to make that decision up for themselves.
Quote by wooftang999
wow...just wow

i hope that's a good thing!
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Firstly, lumping all muslims together into one group is a mistake.

All they're going to change is they're removing one song, so to say it's lost its artistic integrity is ridiculous.

Perhaps the publisher is being overly cautious about this, but by making this most insignificant of alterations they're going to avoid angering a lot of people. If it was about free speech then there would be reason to take issue with the change, but seriously people, it's a song in a game.
Strats -> Twin = sexwaves
Quote by GLP_Arclite
I think Media Molecule deserve quite a few points for creativity actually. It's not uncommon for companies to buy other peoples music for soundtracks instead of making their own.

I don't have a problem with them using other people's songs, I have a problem with them allowing their project to be altered for the sake of apeasing some demographic after it was supposedly finished and complete.

You know if they don't care about the miniscule change I understand, but that means they didn't really care what music they had in the first place, and to me that means they didn't care enough about the overall aesthetic of the game.

Sure I'm blowing it out of proportion, but I think it's a good single example or a larger idiology. I don't even care about it being a marketed product, but when they tried to make the game seem so artistic and original, it's pretty hypocritical to turn around and start cutting pieces out of the work.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Oct 20, 2008,
Phrases that can be found in the Koran?
What the hell is this bullshlt!? I bet people daily say words or sentences that can be found in the Koran, just because it's an old book of some significance to the muslims, it doesn't earn it intellectual rights over a combination of fcking words.
Am I pissed off of that I have to extend my wait for the game? Yes. Do I blame muslims? No. It was one muslim group (a group of gamers, nonetheless) that complained about it, and if it's really so offensive to them that they, the people who want to play the game just like the rest of us, would be willing to wait for it longer in order to see it fixed, then they have every right to say something. I'm pissed that I have to wait longer for it, but I don't hold it against them. It's not like they're middle-aged people who were never going to touch the game anyways.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I don't have a problem with them using other people's songs, I have a problem with them allowing their project to be altered for the sake of apeasing some demographic after it was supposedly finished and complete.

Well it's not like they really have a choice, Sony are publishing it and they dont want their name associated with any potential backlash.
I think my sister was supposed to get that game for her birthday in a couple days. I hope this doesn't affect that fact. I want to play it.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Well it's not like they really have a choice, Sony are publishing it and they dont want their name associated with any potential backlash.

True enough, but it would have been nice to see them fight with the publisher a bit over it at least.

And your avatar is absolutely awesome. I destroy the very earth itself when using Jigglypuff in Smashbros.
Quote by sargasm
I think my sister was supposed to get that game for her birthday in a couple days. I hope this doesn't affect that fact. I want to play it.

Maybe your parents already purchased it.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
True enough, but it would have been nice to see them fight with the publisher a bit over it at least.

And your avatar is absolutely awesome. I destroy the very earth itself when using Jigglypuff in Smashbros.

If WHEN LBP does well they'll be able to get a bit more leeway with sony on future projects, right now they're far too small to push anything really.

and
Quote by Chrisiphone
Jesus Christ....

No...

ALLAH!!! *LEDELDELDLEDLELDELEDLE*

Anyway, this kind of thing happens all the time. It's wrong, I think, but I can't really do anything. So get used to it. =/
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I work at a game store so we are losing like alot of cost because of this whole thing, I think its stupid that we now have to send all the copies of the game back when we get them and then wait to get new ones.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
See what religion does? It's so stupid, some people get a little butt hurt because the game uses a quote, and they have to go recall the game. Why can't one company just be a ****ing bad ass for once and just be like, suck it, we're still putting it out. If it offends you, don't play it, and don't listen to the soundtrack.
The amount of ignorant intolerance in here pisses me off. You really think the majority of Muslims would object? The only view of Islam the media gives you is the reports on the minority of fundamentalists. Christians are the worst for trying to revoke human rights and encouraging censorship, you xenophobic bigots.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Page 1 of 2