Is there any real difference in tone and volume with the different speaker sizes? Any real style suite a certain speaker size say a 10" better at somethings than a 12"? Or would a bigger speaker have better bass response or something like that? Thanks.
10" tends to have more bass then 12", who are more mid focussed. 15" is then again bassier then 10". Thats the whole reason why bass amp cabs are equiped with 10" or 15" speakers, and most guitar cabs with 12" ones.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Oct 20, 2008,
i believe 10" generally more punchy. haven't tested this myself though
Strats -> Twin = sexwaves
So say a guitar cab is fitted with 10" speakers it would generally be more bassy than one fitted with 12"? If so then does the 10" have a looser/worse top/mid?
Quote by LP_CL
10" tends to have more bass then 12", who are more mid focussed. 15" is then again bassier then 10". Thats the whole reason why bass amp cabs are equiped with 10" or 15" speakers, and most guitar cabs with 12" ones.
oh dear
oh dear

oh dear
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
12" has more bass then 10". That's physics. Individual speaker types vary, but a 8" has less bass then a 10" which has less bass then a 12" which has less bass then a 15" etc.

Yes Mr. Carrot. Oh dear
Quote by pak1351
12" has more bass then 10". That's physics. Individual speaker types vary, but a 8" has less bass then a 10" which has less bass then a 12" which has less bass then a 15" etc.

Yes Mr. Carrot. Oh dear

It's just logic isn't it, you wouldn't expect the 12" to have less bass than the 10" and then the 15" to have more than the 10" and the 12", it's progressive.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
+1 on the "oh dear", Oli.
tend to have a more definition and less low end than 12" speakers. But, a 10" can have more bass than a 12", depending on what models you compare.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
There are alot of variables in speakers other than just size. Magnets used, efficiency. So its a bit hard to say for certain to say a 10" speaker will have more bass than a 12.
Depending on how someone voices them, yes, but a 12" speaker can physically produce lower notes which a 10" speaker cannot, and generally speaking a 12" is bassier than a 10". I forget the actual math behind it but the radius effects what frequencies a speaker can produce, larger radius=lower frequencies. I looked in three of my physics notebooks (of 7) and have other stuff to do, but I'm sure you can find it on the web somewhere if anyone cares
The difference between 12's and 10's is like the difference in your voice if you say Oh vs EE. It's a higher resonate frequency. 10's have a nice tight bass tone which is punchy and defined. That is why bass players like them. 12's have more bass and more mids but they break up faster and can sound a bit fizzy. 15's have even more bass but the mids are not as strong so they don't get fizzy like 12's but they tend to not be all that great for guitars.

If you are are playing bass guitar the real key is how much air you are moving. 4 x 10 move a lot more air that 1 x 15 which is why 10's can sound like they have more bass even when they don't.
Not taking any online orders.