I'm looking at buying an LTD EX-400. I probably wont be purchasing it for some months, as I will be spending my currently saved up money on a new amp. I like the 400 over the 260 because the 400 has a mahogany body, while the 260 has agathis. My only problem with the 400 is the fact that it doesnt have the coil tapping that the 260 does. How hard would it be for me to coil tap the EMGs on the 400?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
If it comes with active emgs, you'll have to change them out for the 81-TW, and a 85/89 for the neck, not to sure about HZs though.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Would I be able to throw a EMG-H1A (I like cleans) and coil tap that?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
My FX 400 cleans are amazing! screw coil taps lol.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
To coil tap the EMG's you would have to change both pickups. The 81 and 85 are coil tappable. You would need to put an 81TW in the bridge and an 89 in the neck. When the 89 is in humbucker mode it is the same as an 85. These new pickups will require re-wiring the guitar. I think the 85 sounds real good clean. EMG's sound even better with the 18v mod (which is easy to do). If you buy one play it a while first and see if you still want to change the pickups. I would do the 18v mod though.
Would 18v give it better cleans?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300