After looking for quite sometime and posting, I have come with a list of the amps I am going to be choosing from. If you know of something else I should add to this that would be great for metal let me know, otherwise just tell me what you think is the best choice. I'm going to be using this for practice, playing with my friend(Mesa triple rec half stack) and possibly some shows within a year, but mostly for playing at home.

budget pushers:
Used Krank Revolution 100w
Used ENGL Fireball 60W
Randall V2, T2
VHT Deliverance 60w(hopefully a used one, can't find any right now)

Cheaper alternatives:
Line 6 spdervalve 100hd
Line 6 spider 150w(solid state, super cheap) It sounded better than a B-52 at100.
Randall RH150 G3 plus

Low watt:
Krank Rev Jr Pro 20w
Line 6 spidervalve III 112
Randall RG75g3 plus
The ones in your "budget pushers" list are quite a bit better than all the others.

The Kranks are an acquired taste, I'd be sure to try one out before you make any commitments.

The Deliverance is a kickass amp, but is only one channel, if you need a clean channel, you'll need a different amp or have to be very good with the volume knob on your guitar. Besides having one channel, the amp is extremely versatile if you don't need any sound changing very quickly.

I'd suggest you take a look at a Mesa Mark III and Trem-O-Verb. Great amps and can be found (for the most part) cheaper than your "budget pushers."
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Also add
Used Peavey 6505/5150
Used Peavey XXX/JSX/ultra
Used Randall MTS
What your actuall budget? its really hard to recomend an amp when your comparing entry level SS amps to pro tube amps. If your on a tight budget the peavey 5150 and XXX are really hard to beat for metal/hard rock and they can be had for under 900 dollars for a used like new combo.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
Also add
Used Peavey 6505/5150
Used Peavey XXX/JSX/ultra
Used Randall MTS
What your actuall budget? its really hard to recomend an amp when your comparing entry level SS amps to pro tube amps. If your on a tight budget the peavey 5150 and XXX are really hard to beat for metal/hard rock and they can be had for under 900 dollars for a used like new combo.

Well on the tube heads I wanted to stay under a $1000, so pretty much anything under that would work. It would be great to get something for less that would sound just as good, but I don't want to spend $600 or so and then have a crappy head and kick myself for not spending a couple hundred more for a much better head/amp. Sorry if I confused anyone with some cheap ss/hybrids I am just trying to figure out what will give the best bang for my buck and what will work for my use.

Btw, I forgot to add the 5150 I found some used but they were quickly sold
Just to add, the prices I am looking at for the amps are:

ENGL fireball w/footswitch about $1000
Krank rev100w are coming up between $800-$1100
Peavey 5150's best deal I found was $600, mostly $900
Line 6 hd100 is about $800 new.

The first 3 are looking to be my top choices in that order listed. I did check on the mesa Mk III and there about the same price, or at least that's what I found. Out of those listed, what would you get price, sound, and quality wise?

Also what would hold it's value, incase I ever want to sell the item for something else?
i dont get it if its ganna be at your home and maybe some gigs, why dont you get something thats lower whats, so you can crank your amp without blowing your ears off.
like a tiny terror would be your best bet without blowing up all your money and if you need more volume down the road then buy another TT like this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On5_cX9DtMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ&feature=related
Last edited by THEKID546 at Oct 21, 2008,
I'd check out the Mesa MKIII's, they go as low as $800 on ebay.
Engl Fireballs are ussually around the $800 mark too. I was looking into getting one, but the joined EQ is kind of a turn off for me.
The VHT's seam kind of dry sounding to me, really it's all preferance. I've spoken to owners and they seam to say they it only sound good with VHT cabs, but that's just what they've told me, so don't quote me on it.
I've played the Krank, and it just seamed really dull and muddy for my taste.

Really, no matter what amp you choose, it's going to depend on the cab you have as well. The cab plays a big part in your tone. I'm in the same situation as you pretty much, and I'm still looking around.

Good luck.
Also, most likely if you buy used, all those amps will around the same value, give or take a little.

EDIT- And if I chose from your list, I'd go ENGL. Engl's have nice cleans and they can get br0otalz
Quote by caraluzzo
Also, most likely if you buy used, all those amps will around the same value, give or take a little.

EDIT- And if I chose from your list, I'd go ENGL. Engl's have nice cleans and they can get br0otalz

I'd agree here, because if most of your playing is going to be at home, the Engl sounds the best to me at lower volumes. The 5150 & VHT will sound weaker & thinner than the Engl at bedroom levels IMO, although once you crank them, then it just becomes a matter of personal taste, as they all sound quite good. I also agree about the VHT being somewhat of a dry type of sound (but crisp & tight), which is cool if that's what you're after, but you should definitely try a VHT before shelling out big dough for one.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
That was actually why the ENGL was at the top I also found an old Crate Stealth 50w tube head, it doesn't have a standby switch but it sounded good and was only $250, but it looks like it was in someones backyard and then thrown in a trash can.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated
at this point it's between the VHT and ENGL, I had thought about getting the Ritchie Blackmore ENGL, just to have a more versatile amp, but I don't think I am going to need the 100w
I really like the Deliverance, but I think I'd go for the Fireball just because it has 2 channels and is much more versatile, when playing live, because of it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com