I want to tune my guitar to D, but I am afraid that the strings break. Do I need stronger strings to tune my guitar to D?
Your strings should be ok. I'm more concerned about your guitar neck...
WTLTL 2011
Like DCGFAD? It should be fine, depending on what guitar you've got. If it's going to be mainly in that tuning, I'd get some heavier strings.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Mark G

are you serious??? you'll be fine dude people drop D tune all the time and nothing happens.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Mark G

Why?
dude. D is lower than E.
Its like, less tension. Its less likely to snap.

Idiot.
Quote by Exius
dude. D is lower than E.

Idiot.

I do not know that much about tuning.
Quote by Exius
dude. D is lower than E.

Idiot.

Don't be rude.

The only problem you'll face in D-standard is sloppy strings, unless you buy a heavier gauge.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
No trouble with D, although if you play hard your strings might break a bit quicker. If you were to play a gig you might consider replacing them if they were a few months old. Drop C and B can cause issues, but I've not had any even though I use drop D and C on my hamer witha fairly short scale neck.
Quote by bjoern_swe
Don't be rude.

The only problem you'll face in D-standard is sloppy strings, unless you buy a heavier gauge.

i prefer it like this, but ya 10s might be a good shout and unless your dropping A with 9s thats the only time you should worry about your neck
Quote by ProgFolk12
No trouble with D, although if you play hard your strings might break a bit quicker. If you were to play a gig you might consider replacing them if they were a few months old. Drop C and B can cause issues, but I've not had any even though I use drop D and C on my hamer witha fairly short scale neck.

i used 10s for Drop A once...playing psychosocial. they were surprisingly ok hahaa
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
You should be fine tuning everything down a step; truss rod may need a mild adjustment (Look this up if unsure, you can break stuff otherwise...) if you're keeping it downtuned for a while, but if you're just tuning down for one evening (a few hours at best) it should be fine.

If you keep it downtuned and don't adjust the truss, the neck may warp, and you don't want that. So, if you're hoping to keep it downtuned adjust the truss and (if you want to) get some thicker strings on it. However, some people prefer the feel of loose strings so each to his own.

Finally, you've got a fixed bridge, right? If it's got a floating tremolo or whatever, it won't like being tuned to anything but what it's set up for...

*edit* Lowest I've ever gone is C standard with 9's (on my G-310, it's still fine to this day).