This.

I just had a mishap with my Randall. I was just going to plug out my WAH from the FX Loop and whoops i took out my speaker cable. Then i put on the amp and try to play and no sound, put on standby and investigate what the problem is and then "OH SH-!" I TOOK OUT THE WRONG CABLE. So i quickly put off my amp only to moments later test it and notice my tubes are probably blown. It's fine for a while but then the volume and gain drops. SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT ****.

So any comments...is this the tubes or did the whole amp blow?
I sure hope i did not fry my whole amp!

It still works. Almost like before but with the occasional tube fry-age symptoms!(i think)

I got my tubes out to see what tubes they are (model and brand).

EL34s and 12AX7s. Electro harmonix.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Last edited by phenom1991 at Oct 20, 2008,
How drunk were you at the time?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
That is the question yes.

Honestly i just took out the wrong cables and since they look identical i didn't really realise it was the speaker cable.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

While you most likely damaged the tubes, they may not be the only components. The EL34s would be suspect but the 12AX7As should be fine. Excess current flows thru the output tubes (EL34) under no-load conditions and may have fried the resistors on the screen grids too. You may also have hurt some power supply components due to the current.
If you're feeling brave, you could install new tubes (EL34s) and see if all's well. If things are back to normal, I'd take it to a qualified electronic shop.
Moving on.....
can you watch your tubes while you play?

does the volume die after consistent duration each time or is it completely intermittent?

everything else is fine right?
can you validate the speaker is ok some how?

just throwin bump out.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
can you watch your tubes while you play?

does the volume die after consistent duration each time or is it completely intermittent?

everything else is fine right?
can you validate the speaker is ok some how?

just throwin bump out.

Hmmmm...What do you mean? that it bumps down the volume regularly? Nah i need to play it for a duration and sometimes it just does it. Everything else is fine, or wait! When i have my Level(volume) at 0 there is still a little sound. What could that mean? I mean, the thing is playable but it's still not okay. The speaker should be okay.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Nope, never changed the tubes. The thing got serviced when the tubes broke down under the warranty so they are changed once. I guess it won't really help to change the tube's if i've blown my transistor or some resistors. And since my amp is not dead quiet when the level is on 0 i am guessing a resistor atleast has blown when it can't hold back the volume.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Yeah, I got a plan.

1.Get the amp checked by some professionals(preferably electricians)
2.If it's fixable for a reasonable price, get it fixed.
3.(If point 2 comes through) Switch out the powertubes.
4.(If both 2 and 3 fails) I get a ENGL Thunder used for a good 500€.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by phenom1991
Nope, never changed the tubes. The thing got serviced when the tubes broke down under the warranty so they are changed once. I guess it won't really help to change the tube's if i've blown my transistor or some resistors. And since my amp is not dead quiet when the level is on 0 i am guessing a resistor atleast has blown when it can't hold back the volume.

it doesn't quite work like that... (and the word you were looking for is transformer, not transistor)
Quote by al112987
it doesn't quite work like that... (and the word you were looking for is transformer, not transistor)

Oh sorry...my bad. Typo.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

So anyone got any views on this shitty happening?
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

BUMP! still need some stuff on this. What parts should i tell the electrician or something to have a look at? And will he actually have a method to just finding the broken components? I know a store that has fixed some broken SS combos for my school so i hope they can help me.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

If you talk to the tech ahead of time and explain what happened then he/she will have an idea of what to look for before you even bring it in....and possibly order an output transformer 'or whatever' to keep your time in the shop to a minimum.

Otherwise, there really is no way for us to know for sure just sitting here on the internet. good luck.
Oh okay, will do!

Anyone can even estimate how much this might cost? Taking i fried some transformer parts and probably some of the power supply?
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

i seriously don't know but if you go tedweber.com they have all kinds of amp parts and you could look some stuff up generally to get an idea. I really hate to even guess so maybe someone with more experience could give you an idea. If I had to totally guess I would say maybe $50 in parts and $50 in labor. Not including tubes if you even need tubes.
Yeah, Well. I am prepaired to pay that much without problems. One thing i am really wondering is that could my cab have sustained some damage aswell? From that i plugged it in later and tried to run it. I'd hate to have get another cab in fear to damage the amp further or another amp!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Well... lemme think. The only reason an amp goes crazy if you don't have speakers is because of the resistance that if offers. Meaning that the wattage goes crazy if you don't have anything plugged into the speaker plugs.

Which means that either the big transformer has gotten bruised or damaged, or some circuitry got fried.

Either way its like a $150 fix.
Well, that does not cause me a heart attack! I am just getting 100-200€ out of a project im doing on my free time and im going to sell my Peavey SS amp for lack of use for a good 200€. So IF i wanted i could get the amp fixed and possibly get a backup amp like Peavey Valveking or even a ENGL Thunder
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Output Transformer is probably OK. High current would most likely open the primary windings in which case it would not work at all! Same can be said for the power supply transformer. Other than the tubes, components that can be damaged and still function partially are resistors (value changed (increase) and will change more with temp as amp heats up) the silicon diodes in the power supply bridge rectifier. Caps are in parallel to the DC supplies and ahould be OK unless they received a lot of AC from the DC Supply. At this point all you can do is put in new Power tubes and see if the amp operates normally (some risk here) or take it to a qualified tech. Voltages in your amp go to over 400 VDC and could really knock you on your ass if you're not carefull.
Moving on.....
Ok.... I just have a quick question.....
Why was your wah in the effects loop anyway? Don't filters and stuff like that go in front???

Either way, I just suggest you take it to an amp tech because the way things are looking its gonna cost you some money to fix, and if your gonna spend money you might as well make sure its done right.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo