So yesterday I finally changed the strings on my Epi LP. I was still using the original 4th ,5th and 6th strings. It originally had 9s on it an Ive replaced them with Ernie Ball Slinky 10s, and Im dissapointed. Distorted through my amp they sound great, but without it they sound metallic and hollow, and I was getting a ton of frettbuzz. I adjusted the bridge to fix the frettbuzz but now the strings are really high above the frettboard and It's bugging me.

So, anyone else had this problem with Ernie balls and could someone suggest diff strings? Would putting 9s on it again help at all?
It sounds like you forgot to stretch them... the thinner the strings you put on a guitar the more thin and empty it's going to sound. Really lay into them and stretch them properly and it should get rid of your fret buzz and you can lower your action.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
It happens with new strings. Just play for a bit and it'll get rid of the buzz and metallic tone.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
New strings always buzz for a week or so. That metallic sound you hear is just the way new strings sound.
You should adjust the truss rod, not the bridge. When you change to higher gauge strings, they pull harder on the neck, requiring more pressure from the truss rod. Try that then adjust your bridge again to get your action back. It's hard to tell how good a string sounds/plays when your setup is off.
Quote by SZ320man
You should adjust the truss rod, not the bridge. When you change to higher gauge strings, they pull harder on the neck, requiring more pressure from the truss rod. Try that then adjust your bridge again to get your action back. It's hard to tell how good a string sounds/plays when your setup is off.

That.

And I've never had trouble with Ernies, so just keep playing em and they should break in ok once you sort out your setup.
Quote by Beakwithteeth

I would have sex with you.

Quote by Bendybaws
cum on your hand and throw at him, the 'spiderman'

real nice...

Quote by MetalheadforJC

I herd rap mean Retraded Attemped at Poetry

Just no. failure.

we invented america

erm -1 to england?
Ernie Ball doesn't make a bad string. I have a set on my HSS strat. They're going to sound off for at least a couple of days to a week depending on how much you play them, or if you stretched them out or not. I've had the same set on the strat for two or three months now and I can promise you the metallic sound will go away, as well as the initial buzz you get from the strings. Alternately, I have D'Addario's on my other strat, same situation at first, just give it time.

As the other members mentioned, if you changed to a heavier string gauge, you may have to adjust the truss rod a bit, but I wouldn't recommend doing that yourself.
I put a set of Slinkys on my LP awhile back, within 10 minutes of playing, my b string snapped. No joke.
I didn't like Ernie Balls either. I put GHS boomers and DR Blues on my Telecaster. I prefer those.
I knew I needed to break the strings in but didn't know it would help with the metallic sound.

So I should adjust the truss rod and stretch the strings. How would I stretch the strings?
That's nothing really to pin on the strings, as has been said above.

There's not really anything wrong with Ernie Ball, but I recently switched to D'Addario and won't go back, at least for a while.
Got my mojo workin' but it just don't work on you.
D'Addario are more expensive though. I know it's my setup not the strings. i was just bummed at the annoying metallic sound of the strings, but that should go away with time.
ernie ball slinkies are the best strings i ever used. no joke. right now i'm just waiting for this daddario strings to loose it's tone(1 week top) so i can have a excuse to get them off my jems.TS. when you change strings. change all of them. said so in the gibson handbook
I like Ernie Ball strings. I have never heard any "metallic" tones before when playing clean

best of luck to you though
Quote by EbEar
oh and yao151 i love the fact that you as a fan of metallica and slayer likes John Frusciante, i wish more people around here had an open mind like that

see...
I'm not narrow minded

just narrow dicked
like most ppl pointed out, it's most likely the setup and the fact that they are new. However i'll mention that i also hated ernie balls, and love GHS boomers. Also swapping to tens makes a shockingly large difference in sound.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
I put on some regular slinky strings and was disappointed. They felt like noodles made out of tin. They moved too much, they'd flex like half an inch. They were too grippy too, not too great for sliding. I didn't like the tone at all. I put on some "sliders", not sure who makes them, they are roundwound with silk inserts, they sound nice and feel alot better, but yeah they were bigger too, the big E was a 48.
Quote by corndogggy
I put on some regular slinky strings and was disappointed. They felt like noodles made out of tin. They moved too much, they'd flex like half an inch. .

thats why they are called slinkies. the way they can be bend is one of the main reason why i like them so much, since most of my improvise are filled with bends and stuff,
I'm getting that metallica sound also, and I just put my strings on yesterday. I guess I have to wait it out a little bit.

It doesn't have anything to do with the gauge I don't think, I've used regular slinky 10's ever since I first got my guitar.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I might try switching back to 9's and I'll try out the GHS Boomers and maybe some D'Addario. The grippiness doesn't bother me too much but the metallic, tinny sound is really pissing me off.
I play Ernie Ball sets only at the moment, but if a string breaks I'll use whatever I can get my hands on.

I really like the sound of Ernie Balls after being worn a bit. They sound tinny when new, but they have a certain quality after they've rusted a bit. Personal preference, but I like em. Pity they rust quickly and break soon after, and they're so damn expensive in Aus.
If new strings are 'buzzing' and rattling for a week, they haven't been installed properly. Professional musicians often change strings for every show. Do you think they'd put up with crappy sound every night? Stretch them properly, and they won't rattle, buzz, or go out of tune. If you find there's more high end with new strings, congratulations, you've discovered what your guitar and amp actually should sound like. Adjust your EQ from this point, not 6 months later when your strings are tired, worn and half rotten. Strings are cheap. Change them regularly.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by ljohn
Pity they rust quickly and break soon after...

Odd that people keep saying this. I've never had an EB string break, rust or even turn black, and that's even after sticking with one set for nearly six or seven months. To me they last longer than I need them to and stay rather pleasant until they need to get swapped (when the tone gets dull).
Quote by Pikka Bird
Odd that people keep saying this. I've never had an EB string break, rust or even turn black, and that's even after sticking with one set for nearly six or seven months. To me they last longer than I need them to and stay rather pleasant until they need to get swapped (when the tone gets dull).
Same here. I've got one guitar that has the same set of EB .10's on for eight months now. Tonally it's actually fantastic, old strings have a certain smoothness that no brand of new strings ever has.

I've tried Elixir and D'Addario strings too, and neither felt as good or sounded as good as the Ernie Balls, plus the D'Addario's broke in under a month. Screw that.

I can't stand that metallic twang that new strings have either, OP, but it does just go away in time. There's no need to adjust anything, just play 'em for a week or two (depends how long you play them for, obviously if you play seven hours a day they'll wear in faster than if you play for ten minutes a week) and it should go.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Lil Macker
It happens with new strings. Just play for a bit and it'll get rid of the buzz and metallic tone.

true i got a set of earnies and they sounded bad until i used them alot
i never had a string break while using ernie ball. and i use them about 2-3 hours a day daily. and they lasted a hell lot longer then daddario which is what i have no both of my guitar right now at home.
You must be pretty conservative with bends and aggression then. I break one every month or two, not at the bridge either, most high E string breaks are between the twelfth and seventh frets.
Quote by sXe170
I put a set of Slinkys on my LP awhile back, within 10 minutes of playing, my b string snapped. No joke.

You shouldn't do six step bends on the B and e strings when you've just changed them
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by ljohn
I play Ernie Ball sets only at the moment, but if a string breaks I'll use whatever I can get my hands on.

I really like the sound of Ernie Balls after being worn a bit. They sound tinny when new, but they have a certain quality after they've rusted a bit. Personal preference, but I like em. Pity they rust quickly and break soon after, and they're so damn expensive in Aus.

Billy Hyde sells them for around $5 a pop
Quote by kckyle
thats why they are called slinkies. the way they can be bend is one of the main reason why i like them so much, since most of my improvise are filled with bends and stuff,

Most people don't bend the wound strings very much though.
Quote by ljohn
You must be pretty conservative with bends and aggression then. I break one every month or two, not at the bridge either, most high E string breaks are between the twelfth and seventh frets.

Me too! over the course of the summer I broke 3 high E strings.
I used to live and die by EBs. then I went to Drs as they were brighter and handled down tuning better. I still use EB on my Tele. but my last couple sets by them have been crap for some reason. They don't stay in tune, and rusted out quickly. Maybe their QC has been bumped down to cut costs or they have put out a few bad batches.

I do agree all new strings have that obnoxious twang for the first times you use them. I wonder if there is some deep theory to that or it is just a placebo effect you hear from them being new with nothing on them, and thus brighter... after all, anything you get on a string, in theory, will mute it slightly by increasing the mass. Probably just another Eric Johnson theory though...
I like the Ernies, but I love elixers. They last me forever and a half.

Here recently I wemt back to playing the ernies, and I'm very happy with their tone on my Paul. Funny thing is they don't sound as hot on my Explorer.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
lol I just realized I said Metallica instead of metallic.

The sound went away for me, so I guess it jus happens whenever you put on new strings.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by CJRocker
I wonder if there is some deep theory to that or it is just a placebo effect you hear from them being new with nothing on them, and thus brighter... after all, anything you get on a string, in theory, will mute it slightly by increasing the mass. Probably just another Eric Johnson theory though...
It's simply new metal vs rusted metal. There's no 'theory' to it, it's simple science. It's like how a Telecaster's bridge single coil has more 'twang' than a Strat's because the Tele's single coil is mounted on a metal plate, or that plate can be replaced by a plastic one and that extra twang is suddenly lost.

Same with strings, brand new strings have a brighter tone, once they've been used and rusted a bit, they lose some of their springiness and the tone dulls.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The other day I felt some "normal" Ernie Ball strings that were not slinky's, felt much better. Slinkies isn't all they make.