right here it goes i bought a book of scales yesterday with all of them in it and i just opened it today and it starts with the c major scale the thing thats confusing me is that it says that the scale starts and finishes with the c note and that each note has a number this is how its layed out
c d e f g a b c
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

but the first scale at the top of the fret board goes like this
I I F l - lG
INI C l - lD
IUI - lA l-
ITI - lE lF
I I - lB lC
I I F l - lG

sorry about how ive layed it out but can anyboudy shed some light on what the hell this all means
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Well if you have a C major scale, C is the first step. D is the second, E the third etc. This becomes important for example when building chords, and knowing when to use which scale.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
yeah but what im confused about is that theres 2 f notes and 2o g notes in the scale im unsure about which ones i play

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by gangsta_rick
yeah but what im confused about is that theres 2 f notes and 2o g notes in the scale im unsure about which ones i play

well that's because the scale is played over two octaves. so you're practically playing the same scale twice, except the second time, an octave higher than the first time.

e --0-1-3
B --0-1-3
G --0-2--
D --0-2-3
A --0-2-3
E --0-1-3
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
sorry one more thing it says it has to start on c and end on c so how does that work?

Paul Kossoff = Genius
well you search for c somewhere on your fretboard and then just play the the rest of the notes. for example, C can be found on the A string 3rd fret or the E string 8th fret:

Root note on A string:

e --1-3-5--
B ----3-5--
G --2-4-5--
D --2-3-5--
A ----3-5--
E -(1-3-5)--

leave out the ones in the bracket so you can start on the C...I just put those notes there to complete it over all the strings.

Root note on E string:

e --7--8-(10)--
B -----8-10--
G --7--9-10--
D --7--9-10--
A --7--8-10--
E -(7)-8-10--

edit: for your "tab" it would be:

e ---------etc.
B --0-1-----
G --0-2-----
D --0-2-3--
A -------3--
E -etc......
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Last edited by HuckIt at Oct 20, 2008,
I think it would help if you would actually learn theory, rather than use a book which has a bunch of scales in it. See, the good thing about guitar is, that you can play for example the C major scale and just slide the whole thing up two frets and you've got yourself the d major scale. I suggest you learn about how diatonic scales are built. Learn all the modes (there's only 7), and memorize each pattern for each mode, for the root note on the E and A string, and then you are very flexible. What you have there is C-Ionian (the first mode). Hm, maybe it would be helpful for you to see what distinguishes different scales if you first learn how all the different chords are built up, and thereby learn about intervals.
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Read these.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns

Read them from the beginning and make sure you fully understand each one before reading the next.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Think about it this way.

You can start the C major scale with the root on 6th string (low E) it'll be like this:

e 7-9
b 7-9
g 8-9
d 8-9
a 7-9
e 7-9

that's the first position. So you can progress with the other 4 positions or boxes as I call them (I believe it's 5 boxes in total usually). But you can also go backwards down the fretboard. In the case of major scale in key of C, when you reach the open string notes, it'll probably be in some middle position/box, it won't be at the so-called 1st position where the root note is on the 6th string. That only happens with the scales in key of E (for standard tuning). Hope that explained a little. All you're really doing when learning a scale is learning the relative positions of the notes in that scale for a specific key, at least that's my understanding.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
ok ive just looked at a video somebody posted under for people who need help with there scales and i watched for the c major scale as its the one im learning and its got me thinking. am in right in thinking you can play the scale any way as long as it has all the note in it? e.g. C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Yes, you're right in what you're thinking but a video isn't really going to help matters here...old fashioned studying is what's required.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by gangsta_rick
ok ive just looked at a video somebody posted under for people who need help with there scales and i watched for the c major scale as its the one im learning and its got me thinking. am in right in thinking you can play the scale any way as long as it has all the note in it? e.g. C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C

Well yes, C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C is the C major scale. But that's the same thing you're doing with the scale. You're learning the positions of all those notes on the fretboard (in this case, in the key of C for the major scale, it's c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c). So yes you can play any notes C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C in any order, that's the "same" thing as learning the scale.

Of course the learning the actual names of all the notes on the fretboard will help gain an understanding of the underlying theory. I'm in the process of memorizing the notes on the dots on all the strings for the past 2 weeks. (fret 3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19,21)

If I'm mistaken about any of this, please correct me since I am just a novice, but hopefully I got this sorted out right.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
right thanks guys i think ive kinda got it now haha sorry for being a pain. and im gunna start learning some theroy now thanks again

Paul Kossoff = Genius