Hey I've got a 3 Channel Mesa/Boogie Dual Rec with the Mesa Footswitch. Whenever I switch between Channels on the footswitch there is an audible pop as I hit the switch. I'm assuming that it is the footswitch that is making this happen because when I manually switch channels on the back of the amp it makes the transition quietly.
So im wondering, can I do something to stop it from popping or is this something that I just have to live with? Also, is there anyone who can explain to me exactly how the electronics of the footswitch work so that I can at least understand whats going on when it makes that noise? I understand why pops happen in live sound equipment and on recordings, but this is something I dont think I've ever encountered.
Thanks!
This is a common problem with almost all Mesa Amps. The best way to get rid of it is when your amp is on standby just cycle through the channels a few times before coming out of standby. If you ever get to the boogie board check out the forums there thats a common question.

To my understanding what is causing that is static buildup in the switches. I could be wrong about that and usually am.

But like I said before just cycle through the channels while on standby and see what that does for you. It works for me and most people I know who have Mesa's
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
^From my limited knowledge of electronics, that does sound like static buildup. Switching to a channel releases the static charge on that switch, causing a popping sound. Generally harmless, but very annoying. Cycling through the channels a few times like bcm said should do the trick.
mm, interesting. mine just started doing that recently switching from high gain to clean. surprisingly, i subconsciously flipped back and forth between channels and it went away for a bit.

at least we know what it is now.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The more I think about it, it does seem to be more pronounced if I have just turned the amp on or have been playing on a certain channel without switching for an extended amount of time. I would imagine the process of the tubes heating up creates a large amount of static and the buildup over time probably does as well. But why does switching release it? And is this specific to the Dual Rectifier design? I've spent a good amount of time on Marshalls and Randalls and the occasional Krank, but I haven't ever noticed this.