I tend to primarily play in E standard or half step down tuning (D# standard). Occasionally I might switch to drop D, full step down (D standard), or even C# standard should the song call for it. I pretty much now exclusively use Ernie Ball Power Slinkies (.011 - .048) since it allows me to hit everything in that range quite comfortably.

However, recently I've been jamming with a new band that pretty much exclusively plays in B standard (technically lower since the other guitarist has an 8-string, but most of the material they play is based around B standard). Problem is, how I'm setup up now makes tuning that low very difficult. Not only do the strings get very sloppy due to the extreme lack of tension, but I have trouble keeping my guitar in tune.

I figure the easiest solution would just be to switch to lower gauge strings. BUT, I'd still really like to be able to play in E standard (or at least close to it) when not playing with the band. I figured that the Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies (.012-.056) would probably do the trick, but I think that might be too heavy to tune up to E standard (not to mention I'm not even sure the .056 could fit in the saddle on my Kahler bridge, had enough trouble with the .048). I was also looking at the Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies (.011-.054) and Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms (.010-.052), but I'm really not sure as I've never tuned this low with the intention of playing that low on a frequent basis.

So, what would likely be my best option in this situation? I suppose buying singles instead of the prepackaged sets is always an option as well. Any suggestions?

And yes, I am a fan of Ernie Ball strings.
i don't think alternating between those tunings is practical on one guitar. I would have thought your best bet would be to buy an additional guitar and have one in B standard and one in the higher tunings. That's what I've managed, and it does save a whole lot of hassle.
/\

What he said; dedicate one guitar to the lower tuning, and keep another guitar in standard. 12 - 56s work inanely well for Drop B and B Standard, so use them on one of your guitars.
I wouldn't use .12s for anything lower than C.

Which is what I'm currently set up with, and they're still a bit slack for my taste.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Cytagasm
i don't think alternating between those tunings is practical on one guitar. I would have thought your best bet would be to buy an additional guitar and have one in B standard and one in the higher tunings. That's what I've managed, and it does save a whole lot of hassle.

Ideally, yes. At some point my plan is to have several guitars, all at different tunings so I'll never have to tune a guitar ever again. But at the moment I can't afford another guitar since I just dropped $5000+ on a new guitar and amp. If this band turns out to be a long term deal, then I'll likely invest in a new guitar (money from gigs would likely go towards this).

So in other words, I'm just looking for a temporary solution for the time being.

Quote by Phill-Rock
I wouldn't use .12s for anything lower than C.

Which is what I'm currently set up with, and they're still a bit slack for my taste.

In all honesty I'm not too worried about slack on the higher strings. This band tends to play pretty standard metalcore (akin to Killswitch Engage). Not a lot of furious solo-esque higher string work (at least not that I've seen yet). I can deal with the slack on the higher strings in this case, but I just can't deal with the lower strings going out of tune.

EDIT: Just had a thought. What about a pack of the 7-String Super Slinkies (.009 - .052) and just leaving out the high E string? Would that be a viable option?
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Oct 20, 2008,
10-52 handle B pretty well actually. It just depends if your going to play solos, because if you are, be careful doing your EPIC BENDZ on that wee little 10.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?