Hey guys...im taking music theory at school, and I want to know some good exapmples of changing meters or like random time signatures. .... hopefuly songs that ppl will know.....preferably metal...thank you in advance
My Gear
ESP EX-400
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Peavey Valveking 112
Electro-harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost
Mogami Cables
Dunlop Tortex Orange .60mm Picks
DiMarzio Cliplock Strap
Quote by jsantos
Pull me Under by Dream Theater

+1

Although most Dream Theater songs do to some extent.
Current Gear:

PRS Custom 24 (Whale Blue)
Jackson KVX10 (With SD Blackouts)
Line 6 POD XT Live
Anything by Meshuggah, a lot of stuff by Tool.

Sorry for not mentioning specific songs
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Meshuggah tunes don't change meter very often.
Dream Theater for sure.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
^ that's not true, usually there's a 4/4 pulse all the way through, but the odd time pulses change regularly enough. Look at Stengah or Future Breed Machine, there's a number of time changes in that.

Let alone the monstrous In Death/Is Death and In Death/Is Life changes.

For something a little less unpleasant to listen to, Dream Theatre's Dance of Eternity is perhaps the best example I can think of meters changing throughout a single piece of popular music.
Quote by Freepower
I can think of meters changing throughout a single piece of popular music.
DT is hardly a mainstream band.

Cream's "White Room" is a great example by a much more well known band; the intro riff is in 5/4 and the verse, chorus, and guitar solo are in 4/4, and, of course, when the intro riff is played again, (3 times total I think) it is in 5/4 still.

We will not argue DT vs. Cream, Clapton vs. JP, or feeling vs. speed (the most idiotic of them all), but Cream and Clapton are just more well known than DT.

All of this is coming from someone who rather likes DT!
The most poppy example I can think of is Hey Ya. Mixes in the odd bar of 2/4 without most people noticing.

I'm sure there are loads more, certainly there are a number if you look at classic rock (Money and all that) but I can't think of any more "pop" examples at the moment.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by bangoodcharlote
DT is hardly a mainstream band.

I mean, popular music as in "not-classical". I assumed he was taking theory classes which would have used the word in that context.
If you want metal, I'd recommend some prog. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth, that stuff. Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater has something like 120 time signature changes.
Quote by Freepower
^ that's not true, usually there's a 4/4 pulse all the way through, but the odd time pulses change regularly enough. Look at Stengah or Future Breed Machine, there's a number of time changes in that.

What I meant was that Meshuggah is generally associated with polyrhythm/polymeter rather than metric modulation. There are much better examples of metric modulation than Meshuggah stuff.

But I haven't even listened to Catch 33, so maybe I'm a failure.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Last edited by ramm_ty at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by Gnluser383
Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater has something like 120 time signature changes.
I'd just write that song in 1/16 time.

That's a joke, n00bs. 1/16 time would be idiotic.
Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater has something like 120 time signature changes.

Most of it lacks a time signature altogether. It's just notated with various time signatures because it makes it far easier to read. You could almost describe it as being in free time.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Shawn Sousa
Hey guys...im taking music theory at school, and I want to know some good exapmples of changing meters or like random time signatures. .... hopefuly songs that ppl will know.....preferably metal...thank you in advance

the mirror by dream theater
octavarium by dream theater
SDOIT by dream theater
Revelation (Divus Pennae Ex Tragoedia) by Symphony X
Sin by Circus Maximus

JUST to name a few.
Quote by Archeo Avis
You could almost describe it as being in free time.
Key word is almost-they aren't playing with the lack of regard for tempo that is associated with free time.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Key word is almost-they aren't playing with the lack of regard for tempo that is associated with free time.

Free time doesn't necessarily have to disregard tempo, nor is the song all in one tempo.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I'm surprised that no-one's mention Schism by Tool. Or Lateralus.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
I'm a fan of the Beatles' time signature changes

Happiness is a Warm Gun
A Day In the Life (the middle section has got a bar of 2/4 thrown in every couple of bars)
Savoy Truffle (its got like a bar of 7/8 throw in between each verse)
All You Need Is Love (it switches into something like 7/4)
I think that Rush has a few songs with quite a few meter changes. I read a TAB to Freewill that showed the verse riff changing meter, like, four times. I think it went from 3/4 to 4/4 to 2/4 in there. If anyone wants, I can dig it up and post the changes?
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Yeah, Freewill is a great example. I don't have music handy, but I think the Intro/Verse are something like 4/4, 2/4, 4/4, 3/4 (or just alternating 6/4 & 7/4, depending how you look at it). The chorus is 4/4 with 3/4 bars thrown in occasionally, plus there are riffs in 5/4 and 7/8, with the solo in 6/8.
Obvious one is Money by Pink floyd, which is in 7/4 but changes to 5/4 or something, then the solo is in 4/4.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by ramm_ty
What I meant was that Meshuggah is generally associated with polyrhythm/polymeter rather than metric modulation. There are much better examples of metric modulation than Meshuggah stuff.

But I haven't even listened to Catch 33, so maybe I'm a failure.

Far from a failure, I was just pointing out that they do change time sigs, although the obvious rhythmic device is almost always polymetricity.
The First Circle by the Pat Metheny Group

It alternates between 12/8 and 10/8.

With the 12/8 being counted 3+2+3+2+2 and the 10/8 being counted 3+3+2+2.

Its insane at times trying to keep up. Its a jazz piece, even though I know you asked for metal, its a cool song, you should give it a listen.
Last edited by Souls United at Oct 22, 2008,
dont forget white summer by led zeppelin
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
TS do you mean meter change as in changing the tempo?

Meter is not the same as tempo.
Quote by seljer
I'm a fan of the Beatles' time signature changes

Happiness is a Warm Gun
A Day In the Life (the middle section has got a bar of 2/4 thrown in every couple of bars)
Savoy Truffle (its got like a bar of 7/8 throw in between each verse)
All You Need Is Love (it switches into something like 7/4)

+1
also lucy in the sky with diamonds (verses are in 3/4 and chorus in 4/4)
and blackbird switches from 3/4 to 4/4 at some parts