Drop C is about the lowest I can get away with given the scale of my current guitars. A fiend for higher gain and lower tunings, I'm trying to decide if I should get a new guitar that will further satisfy this addiction. So my first question is should I really do this or am I just going to regret it if I ever "grow up and stop listening to death metal," as concerned friends and family would put it, and then the issue is deciding between 7 String or Baritone. And finally what brand and make of each kind? If you've played on any 7 Strings or Baritones and feel strongly about them, please advise. I cant make these decisions on my own.
What's the scale length of your current guitar? What sort of tuning are you wanting to go down to? What gauge strings are you using?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
you really dont need a baritone or 7 string to go below drop c
look at bands such as sikth who use normal 6 strings and silly low tunings
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Just get a seven string.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Well on a 7 string, you can play in standard tuning while still having that low end so thats the way forward really.

but 7 string + bariton in one instrument = ultimate win

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Ed Hunter
What's the scale length of your current guitar? What sort of tuning are you wanting to go down to? What gauge strings are you using?

this

have u tryed thicker strings?

my LP can handle B standard easy with 11s
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
I like 7string guitars because you have the standard EADGbe and then the low B to heavy rythm stuff.... that's what I call versatility

Schecter makes 7string guitars with 26.5 scale necks, so that's almost a baritone, which makes it a dream to play....

I've been looking into 6string baritones lately, mostly because I like to play with low drop tunings.... the extended scale on a baritone gives bigger string tension, so it will be easier to speed pick....

did that make any sense?

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
might i suggest the cheapest option?

for about 80$ US you can buy the Zoom: g1 or g2 pedals(or any of the series)

I have a G1X (the X is because of the expression pedal) it is a great multi-effects /distortion pedal, but it also has pitch shift which can be used to detune guitar without actually detuning it.

if you plan on playing in that tuning alot though, I would sugest getting a new guitar.

when you use the pitch shifter it kills your tone, but if you just want to be able to tune your guitar like that to learn a song or 2 then this is the way to go.
Quote by EbEar
oh and yao151 i love the fact that you as a fan of metallica and slayer likes John Frusciante, i wish more people around here had an open mind like that

see...
I'm not narrow minded

just narrow dicked
uz needz better stringz.
Quote by Tehzekester
1. Find a hot chick's myspace.
2. Get lotion.
3. Look at pr0nz.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

Quote by Sid McCall
so I said: "those aren't the couch cushions, those are my testicles!"

Add Me
So the guitars I use now are a Gibson SG Standard with a Dimarzio Superdistortion for the bridge and ESP EC-1000 with emgs. I typically use 11s for strings, or different variants of fat-bottom skinny-tops. I have tried B-Standard tuning with 11s and the lack of tension in the strings is just uncomfortable for anything fast, especially with the SG. I havent tried 12s.
Playing on 7 strings in the past, I have found the neck to be too wide. I suppose this is mostly because i haven't spent any real time practicing on one. I wonder if you have any thoughts?
And also I definitely do see the versatility benefits of a 7 string mentioned above, such as having a standard tuned guitar when I want it and a low B string as well.
Thank you all for your input so far. The detail about the Schecter's 7 string scale was particularly helpful. Could I get more information from you all about 7 strings you have played on? Or baritones still as well, I'm officially leaning towards a 7 string now but I dont want to totally write bari's off yet.
Well I own a Ibanez RG1527 and is plays very well, its a 25.5" 7 string if you put a heavy low B on it to match your 11s like a .65 of something you will have a very tight guitar for standard tuning.

I also own a RG1077XL which is a baritone 7 string (all Ibanez 7 string baritones are discontinued so you will have to hunt around for a 2nd hand one, but they are pretty sought after) it also plays great and I love it, since buying it I dont play my 1527 any more due to the greater tension tightening up the low B, because I use 9-42s with a 54 it can get quite floppy and muddy at 25.5" so baritone is great (the RG1527 is still awesome I just dont have a use for it as a main guitar).

I cant directly recommend any other 7s, but the 7 string legion can (see link in sig)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
in all honestly, unless you're going past Drop B, you don't need a Baritone or a 7 string guitar. the schecter c-7 hellraiser and loomis models are quite good, and Ibanez makes good 7 strings.