Ok, I have a basic idea of what guitar I want. I've been playing around with PRS SE Singlecut Trem and really like it, but before buying it I was just wondering what other guitars I could try out.
I play Santana, AC/DC, Gary Moore, Dire Strait type stuff, so a cross between blues and hard rock. I'll be it through my Vox AD50VT.
A whammy bar would be preferred, but doesn't matter if not.

Any suggestions? My budget is around £500
I'm off to some guitar shops on Wednesday.

Last edited by stiff-upper-lip at Oct 20, 2008,
him i believe CArlos plays a strat. however angus was always kicking the SG. TBH the good balance would be a LP but itd depend on your budget
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Carlos plays a PRS, which is why I was looking at PRS, but my budget is around £500.
Yeah I've played a Epiphone Les Paul and loved the sound of that, but just didn't like where the pick up switch was on it, which is another reason why I looked at PRS. I also like the look of singlecut guitars.
Last edited by stiff-upper-lip at Oct 20, 2008,
I'd say get a G-400 then replace the pickups; I think Carlos used an SG special with P-90's at some point.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by BelowZero
him i believe CArlos plays a strat. however angus was always kicking the SG. TBH the good balance would be a LP but itd depend on your budget

i say get a stratocaster or some type of epi SG, but carlos didnt play a strat, in the beginning(think woodstock), he played an SG, but now he plays a PRS.
hmmm, i only want to try guitars out atm. I dont really wanna be replacing the pickups, plus doing that wont do much either coz most Pickups are made the same or similar. Its where there placed which makes the most difference.
Quote by stiff-upper-lip
hmmm, i only want to try guitars out atm. I dont really wanna be replacing the pickups, plus doing that wont do much either coz most Pickups are made the same or similar. Its where there placed which makes the most difference.

What? Different pickups are made differently and have different components in them, it's not just simply where they are!

Check out Tokai Love Rock, Ibanez ART series, Edwards (Japanese brand), Agile, Gordon Smith and Michael Kelly Patriot series for alternatives.
- Fender Standard (or better) Fat Strat - I believe they have ones with FR's on it in that price range if you want... this is if you're a big strat fan.
- Schecter C-1 Plus - What I have. I was deciding between this and another PRS SE at one point, but I liked the sound better. Plus, the finish is beautiful.
- Schecter Tempest Custom - It's sort of like Schecter's version of a LP. The shape is a little different, but I think it looks really classy in black w/ gold hardware. It sounds more bluesy than the C-1 Plus.

Also try looking used. You can find some great deals.
Quote by stiff-upper-lip

dont want to be disagrreeeing with the TS but thats so wrong i cant help it. pickups matter, amp first of course, but pickups definitely matter.
try some sg the prs looks very promising i love the custom from the se line just try it out try some guitars with p90s. i think prs make a se single cut with p90s in it
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Ok. thanks Blue, some helpful suggestions.
and Yes i know Pickups are made differently, but the majority of the time its where the pickup is placed that matters. I don't wanna go into a discussion/argument about this, we all know how guitars work, I just want some suggestions on some guitars I can try.