I was looking for a new guitar amp that could give more of a Low end, and punch that my solid state amp cant do. I been looking at Traynor YCV80Q , it looks like it could do what I want it to do. I cant find any videos on this specific amp but I found one with a guy playing YCV50 blue through a cab on youtube and it sounded great. Just wanted to hear from other people that might have had one before or know something better. I'm looking into laney's too, Loinheart but that might be a little to expensive.
Where are you located?

And I'm assuming you dig into some Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard, and some Eyehategod?

If so, the only REAL answer is a Matamp.

But a Laney AOR protube will do it for ya.

So will a JCM 800.

Or a Redbear MK60

Or a Sovtek Mig 50

Or a Sunn Beta Lead.
the amps gooley listed are all great, but for me personally i like to have my pedals do most of the work. if you want to do that, anything loud an clean like a fender bassman, ampeg v4, or pretty much any Sunn or Hiwatt will work.

pedals i'd recommend:
baja tech custom DaMOAF
proco rat
BYOC triangle muff
BYOC ram's head
Earthquaker Hoof Fuzz
Dwarfcraft Devices Great Destroyer

or any Roland BeeBa clone.

also, a rat on top of a JCM800 or MIG50 would be ****ing wonderful.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Ghold125
what's your budget?

Well I say nothing really over 1500, but I like to stay in the 800-1000 range.

Where are you located?

And I'm assuming you dig into some Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard, and some Eyehategod?

So will a JCM 800.

Or a Redbear MK60

Or a Sovtek Mig 50

Or a Sunn Beta Lead.

Out in the middle of nowhere ohio, closet city with a good music store atleast 2 hours away. And yes I dig those bands, mostly sleep, eletric wizard, and a million other bands lol. I would love to get a Mata amp but dont have the money, and if i go music123 I get a discount and can pay it off over time.
I also looking for like just some type of combo, I mean I could probly go with a Stack but I wont be able to play it to much when my family home, but it be nice to have something for gig if I ever needed it.
Quote by imgooley
Where are you located?

So will a JCM 800.

Or a Redbear MK60

Or a Sovtek Mig 50

Or a Sunn Beta Lead.

+1
I especially recommend the Laney
Quote by xwearesinking
the amps gooley listed are all great, but for me personally i like to have my pedals do most of the work. if you want to do that, anything loud an clean like a fender bassman, ampeg v4, or pretty much any Sunn or Hiwatt will work.

pedals i'd recommend:
baja tech custom DaMOAF
proco rat
BYOC triangle muff
BYOC ram's head
Earthquaker Hoof Fuzz
Dwarfcraft Devices Great Destroyer

or any Roland BeeBa clone.

also, a rat on top of a JCM800 or MIG50 would be ****ing wonderful.

A Hiwatt Lead 50 would be awesome.

Also: Ampeg VL-501

JMP 2204

or pretty much any 50-100 watt EL34/KT66 amp.

Also: for pedals

Frantone Cream Puff
Frantone The Sweet Germanium
Earthquaker Tusk Fuzz
Red Witch Fuzz God
Quote by derrick45123
I also looking for like just some type of combo, I mean I could probly go with a Stack but I wont be able to play it to much when my family home, but it be nice to have something for gig if I ever needed it.

Your best bet is to look used. Craigslist usually has stuff.

Whenever I look at Ohio Clist, I always see a bunch of Ampeg stuff, so keep an eye out.

Also: You can't really play this kind of music at low volumes.
Quote by imgooley
Y

Also: You can't really play this kind of music at low volumes.

Yea I know, I would like if I could get a amp that will summon statan himself...
How about a Hughes & Kettner Statesman Quad EL84? It's a 40 W combo, sounds really great. Although it's 1200 $, but I think it's totally worth it. You should check them out if you can.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Orange OR50 is very dakr sounding, could suit you well.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
word, i love oranges for doom. i'd love a rockerverb 50 cranked with a rat on top.

definately see what you can get used.

remember the key to doom/sludge is VOLUME. if you get a 100 watt amp and run it on 1.5, your tone will be pretty much balls. if you get a 40-50 watt amp and run it on 3-4, it will be much better.

i strongly recommend a Sovtek MIG50, saw one on eBay go for $300 last night.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Well what I've basicly gotten from most of my resreach, all I basicly need is a loud tube amp with EL34s in it, I plan to add a DIY rangemaster treable booster and a Fuzz pedal maybe a DIY kit for a older model pedal. I think the Traynor will soot me well, 80watts of tube power (EL34) with 2x12 and maybe for future upgrade add another 2x12 cab to get more out of it. I would love to get any of the other suggested amps but most of them our out of my price range, and with music 123 or musican friend I can do payments. I don't need a 100 wtt head or anything cause that will in the end piss alot of people off lol, so I think the 80watt or 40watt traynor will do.
My 33 watt crate pisses people off

If you want an el34 amp on the cheap, check out the Crate V100H. American Musical has a good deal on a warehouse unsealed one.
Sovtek Mig 50, Sunn Beta Lead or Model T, Matamp of some sort, Orange (OR works well), Ampeg V4 (instant Kyuss i believe), Peavey VTM, VHT (ISIS use them), and whatever amp Sunn O))) use, because their guitar sound is inevitably what hell would sound like.

Pedals:

- Pro Co Rat
- BYOC Large Beaver
- BYOC Mighty Mouse (instead of the Pro Co)
- ZVex Fuzz Factory
- Sandford and Sunny Bluebeard Fuzz (it's like a Big Muff if it was possessed by a demon)

I actually really want a stoner setup now... :[

EDIT: This may sound odd, but a Mesa DC-3 or even a Peavey Classic 30, given a fuzz for each, would be really friggin sweet. Both are EL84 based amps and sound amazing cranked (especially the DC-3).
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Sovtek Mig 50, Sunn Beta Lead or Model T, Matamp of some sort, Orange (OR works well), Ampeg V4 (instant Kyuss i believe), Peavey VTM, VHT (ISIS use them), and whatever amp Sunn O))) use, because their guitar sound is inevitably what hell would sound like.

Pedals:

- Pro Co Rat
- BYOC Large Beaver
- BYOC Mighty Mouse (instead of the Pro Co)
- ZVex Fuzz Factory
- Sandford and Sunny Bluebeard Fuzz (it's like a Big Muff if it was possessed by a demon)

I actually really want a stoner setup now... :[

Sunn O))) uses Sunn O))) Model T's.

Mammoth Fuzz>Fuzz Factory.
/\

Damn, i guess that's kind of obvious due to the name. >_>

Isn't the Mammoth Fuzz the bass fuzz? I found demos of it really really dark and waay too fuzzy.

Also, does anyone know what Orange Goblin use live? I've been checking out some live vids, and I really like their guitarist's sound live (which is fuzzy, but it seems to cut through really damn well).
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by RG_FANMAN
dark and waay too fuzzy.

Welcome to the world of stoner rock
/\

Haha. I guess i'm more of a picky stoner metal fan. My friend has a Russian Muff, and when I tried it I had the ton or contour knob (whatever it's called) up to max in order to satisfy me. And to think some bands use it completely off.
Quote by derrick45123
Well what I've basicly gotten from most of my resreach, all I basicly need is a loud tube amp with EL34s in it, I plan to add a DIY rangemaster treable booster and a Fuzz pedal maybe a DIY kit for a older model pedal. I think the Traynor will soot me well, 80watts of tube power (EL34) with 2x12 and maybe for future upgrade add another 2x12 cab to get more out of it. I would love to get any of the other suggested amps but most of them our out of my price range, and with music 123 or musican friend I can do payments. I don't need a 100 wtt head or anything cause that will in the end piss alot of people off lol, so I think the 80watt or 40watt traynor will do.

not necessarily true about the tubes,

my sunn uses only 2 6550's and i can get an ungodly tone out of it.

i LITERALLY crack walls with it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by imgooley

Mammoth Fuzz>Fuzz Factory.

Just looked up the mammoth, got a great tone I like but god damn 300 bucks, anyone know where I can get a Clone kit for it?
Quote by xwearesinking
not necessarily true about the tubes,

my sunn uses only 2 6550's and i can get an ungodly tone out of it.

i LITERALLY crack walls with it.

Well I didn't mean to say it like that, I just know Matamp and Orange amp use them in there setups, I know there probably more than just those running too.

Here where I got some Info from, might find it useful: Link
Another thing to check out is the Blackheart Hot Head.
Quote by imgooley
Another thing to check out is the Blackheart Hot Head.

Yea I seen those before might go look up some video's on it. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get a ride up to GC in C-bus and check out some amps there.

BTW:The black keys are awesome gooley
Quote by derrick45123

BTW:The black keys are awesome gooley

Yes!
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Also, does anyone know what Orange Goblin use live? I've been checking out some live vids, and I really like their guitarist's sound live (which is fuzzy, but it seems to cut through really damn well).

I'm pretty sure the guitarist uses Marshalls of some kind but I could be wrong.

It's also worth noting that you'll be wanting a VINTAGE voiced guitar for any and all sludge/stoner/doom songs, SGs or LPs with P-90s are pretty much standard issue but the key is VINTAGE sound.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
that too. the one guy in Sunn O))) has a P-90 equipped Les Paul, and that's pretty brutal.

i'm actually really interested in making my Hellraiser more vintage voiced; throwing in some more beefed up PAF pickups in it. I really love a lot of bands (like Underoath and Every Time I Die for instance) that use more vintagey voiced guitars, but plug them into high gain amps for recording (Oranges and Marshalls, and Bogner Uberschalls and Marshall's respectively). I think more vintage pickups help get you a bit more tone that higher output guitars.

Granted, the two bands I mentioned are about the farthest thing from Stoner Metal out there, but still, they use vintage voiced instruments into high gain setups.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
that too. the one guy in Sunn O))) has a P-90 equipped Les Paul, and that's pretty brutal.

Granted, the two bands I mentioned are about the farthest thing from Stoner Metal out there, but still, they use vintage voiced instruments into high gain setups.

What you need is a BKP Pig-90, those things sound absolutely awesome, perfect for the whole stoner/doom thing, a guy over on the BKP forums posted a clip of a Pig-90 through a Laney GH50L playing Dragonaut by Sleep and it sounds...*drool*

Link: http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13577.0

And yeah, vintage guitars through high gain setups do sound pretty damn good, if a little loose for modern tones...maybe in a recording situation the ideal would be to use a modern guitar for the rhythm parts which need to be really tight and use a vintage style instrument for all the lead work where you can get away with being pretty loose...I'm patenting and keeping this idea!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Oct 23, 2008,
see, i'd love to get a set of BKPs (specifically the Warpig, Painkiller and Mississipi Queen models), but the guitars I own aren't exactly high end; an indonesian made ibanez, a korean made spitfire (basically an omen/damien), and a Hellraiser. And while I love the hell outta my Hellraiser, putting a set of pickups in it that are 330 bucks just doesn't work for me since I only paid (get this) 666 bucks for it, after taxes. :p If I had like a more expensive or higher end guitar, i wouldn't hesitate to spend the money on BKPs, but for an off the shelf korean made guitar, it just doesn't work

and stoner metal isn't all that I play. I'm trying to form a band that's more like progressive/experimental post-hardcore (in the vein of and influenced by Thrice, Underoath, The Mars Volta Porcupine Tree, Tool etc), and hopefully a more metal oriented group (in the vein of Mastodon, Baroness, Opeth, etc.). I just love stoner rock/metal, and would love to have access to a fuzzy sound, and a guitar more oriented towards Stoner and Doom Rock/Metal, similar to Queens of the Stone Age, Orange Goblin, Eyehategod, Neurosis, etc.

Speaking of which, how're people's experiances with a Russian Muff? My friend has one, and while i got to play it through his shitty starter pack, i thought it sounded pretty cool. I was gunna see if I could buy it of off him for like 30 or 40 bucks and that way I'd be able to have a fuzz sound in addition to my main distortion. Also, since I do think P-90s are completely bitchin for Stoner Rock, what are some good P-90 equipped guitars? The only ones I've found that have struck my fancy are the Edwards LP goldtop with P-90s and the Washburn WI-66 (I believe is the model) Goldtop with P-90s.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
and stoner metal isn't all that I play. I'm trying to form a band that's more like progressive/experimental post-hardcore (in the vein of and influenced by Thrice, Underoath, The Mars Volta Porcupine Tree, Tool etc), and hopefully a more metal oriented group (in the vein of Mastodon, Baroness, Opeth, etc.). I just love stoner rock/metal, and would love to have access to a fuzzy sound, and a guitar more oriented towards Stoner and Doom Rock/Metal, similar to Queens of the Stone Age, Orange Goblin, Eyehategod, Neurosis, etc.

If you do upgrade your guitar then a set of Pig-90s or MQs would be almost exactly what you want, the guy who did the clip I posted earlier also did an Opeth style clip using an MQ set.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I get a great tone from my LP studio very doomy sound if I down tune it and use the bridge pick-up.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you do upgrade your guitar then a set of Pig-90s or MQs would be almost exactly what you want, the guy who did the clip I posted earlier also did an Opeth style clip using an MQ set.

Wow really? Link? I've actually been really interested in the Mississipi Queens since finding out Matt Bellamy uses them in his Mansons.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Wow really? Link? I've actually been really interested in the Mississipi Queens since finding out Matt Bellamy uses them in his Mansons.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=493678&songID=4951909

That's the link, I'm pretty sure it was an MQ set anyway, it might have been Mules though, the post on the forum was a while back now...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
wow, that's really Opeth-y. I really dig that sound. What amp was he using, and what guitar?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V57M970Cc7Y

Run one of these in front of a big clean amp. A lot of those that were named, especially the old tube Sunns, are made to distort. You need to push them with a really dirty pedal, and for my money the D.A.M. pedals are the best there are.

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVr1w2fAMsk&feature=related

this clip demonstrates a more classic stoner sound.