A guitar with 24 frets should have a 25.5 inch scale length right?
and does scale length actually mean from nut to bridge? Ive been kinda confused lately with this stuff and im trying to get my crap right.Thanks!
Scale length means nut to bridge, and number of frets doesn't decide scale length. Up and till a certain point all PRS guitars had 24 frets with a 25" scale, s'all choice.
Quote by Floyd_Dropper
A guitar with 24 frets should have a 25.5 inch scale length right?
and does scale length actually mean from nut to bridge? Ive been kinda confused lately with this stuff and im trying to get my crap right.Thanks!

The number of frets has nothing to do with scale length. 25.5" is the most common scale length for 24 fret guitars but It's still common to see them on both longer and shorter scales. The scale length is twice the distance of the nut to the 12th fret. The distance from nut to bridge changes with each string so you can't really rely on that.
Not taking any online orders.
My LTD has 24 frets and my Flying V & Explorer have 22 frets the scale length is 24 3/4" on all 3 guitars. Scale lenth is the measurement from the nut to the bridge on the High E string. The number of frets doesn't matter.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Oct 20, 2008,
so could i build a guitar that has 24 frets with a 27 inch scale without it affecting sound or anything?
yeah, scale length is totally unrelated to the number of frets, although if you have more frets, you'll likely want a longer scale to give you more room in between the frets, but there's no rule. Example: Strats have 21/22 frets, and a 25.5" scale length, but some Gubsons have 24 frets and a 24" scale. Also note that scale length is a nominal measurement, so if you use a tape measure on your guitar it won't be the exact scale length. This is to make the manufacturers' lives easier so they can measure when they're building, instead of compensating for string tension and all that.
Quote by Floyd_Dropper
so could i build a guitar that has 24 frets with a 27 inch scale without it affecting sound or anything?

yes
Not taking any online orders.
so im gonna go ahead and have a 24 fret guitar with a 27 inch scale and thats all fine and dandy?
Quote by CorduroyEW
The distance from nut to bridge changes with each string so you can't really rely on that.

Question on this, and I'm not trying to be a a-hole here, but how does the distance from the nut to bridge change with each string?
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
27 inches is pretty long, so string tensions might get dangerously high, so you might want to do a rough calculation on the neck tension and make sure you won't warp the neck or snap all your strings. With a longer neck, you tend to et a twangire sound, so you may want to try to compensate for that. But in theory this is all perfectly sound. Distance from nut to bridge can change for each string if your bridge is angled, or floating.
Quote by Floyd_Dropper
so im gonna go ahead and have a 24 fret guitar with a 27 inch scale and thats all fine and dandy?

As long as you get your fret measurements very precise it'll work out fine. I made my 7-string a 27 inch baritone.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Quote by opticon
As long as you get your fret measurements very precise it'll work out fine. I made my 7-string a 27 inch baritone.

are you saying the frets would need to be bigger or something?
Not bigger, just placed just right on the fretboard. Stewmac has a handy tool to tell you where to place your frets. http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Quote by s24476
27 inches is pretty long, so string tensions might get dangerously high, so you might want to do a rough calculation on the neck tension and make sure you won't warp the neck or snap all your strings. With a longer neck, you tend to et a twangire sound, so you may want to try to compensate for that. But in theory this is all perfectly sound. Distance from nut to bridge can change for each string if your bridge is angled, or floating.

What? 27" is not a dangerous scale length for a guitar, guitars go up to 30" with high guage lower strings exerting a lot of tension and dont warp necks, its down to construction not scale length.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man