What is a breakdown?

Is it like at the end of Iron Man or Electric Funeral or the part before Paradise City goes double time?
That's the part where all the instruments get taken out and all you have is the percussion. And then the isntruments build up again. I think.
im pretty sure all the instruments can still be going...

i guess it could be considered like a bridge to the outro... or just a bridge that is possibly improved maybe...

kinda a vague term..

"break it down!" *band jams*

get it?
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Bridge, interlude, breakdown-They're basically the same in Rock music. Some Classical nut will argue otherwise, but I tend to ignore them as they're old and will be dead by the time I graduate college.

I would say that a breakdown is a more calm section of the song, but that's just my opinion. Those three terms is very close in meaning.

I'll elaborate on this later, because this post is kind of wrong but I've got to run!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Bridge, interlude, breakdown-They're basically the same in Rock music. Some Classical nut will argue otherwise, but I tend to ignore them as they're old and will be dead by the time I graduate college.

Surely not Charlote! you follow that strategy to your own detriment. lol.
Okay, so a standard rock song is intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-maybe another verse-chorus-outro. That bridge is usually a guitar solo or a verse, but not with the same structure as the other verses.

An interlude would generally be a short passage, merely a transition from the chorus back to the verse.

Now, I said what a bridge is, but that's not all it can be. A bridge has a vague definition. In a standard rock song, it's just that section between the chorus and the final verse/chorus. It could last 20 seconds or several minutes. I would consider a breakdown to be part of the bridge where the band calms down, but then speeds up again.

Here are a few examples:

Bridge: Blink 182's "The Rock Show, " the "Black and white picture of her on my wall."
Interlude: The guitar solo after the first verse, and the the little riff in the middle of the first verse, of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama"

Breakdown: Iron Maiden's "2 Minutes to Midnight" contains a nice bridge with guitar solos, and then they calm down and use a half-time feel before going into the third verse. That calm part would be a breakdown.

These terms are all somewhat ambiguously defined, however.
Well, not generally slow, just different than other parts. But thats just mostly in metal. Like in Lamb of God's Redneck, or Trivium's pull harder on the strings of your martyr.
unless you are asking about what a breakdown in hardcore or any sort of (insert type of metal)core. a breakdown then would typically be with all the guitars and bass link up with the drums doing slow palm muted chugs. some times bands will throw in a dissonant chord such as a minor 2nd chord or a major 2nd chord or in tab:

-------------
--------------
--------------
--------------
----0-----2-----
----4-----5-----
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
Quote by jsantos
That's the part where all the instruments get taken out and all you have is the percussion. And then the isntruments build up again. I think.

how very rong.

it's where the song has a complete turnaround.

like in the ocean by led zeppelin, where he goes "naaanaaananananana"

or in now you've got something to die for by lamb of god, where it goes half time

usually breakdowns involve tripolettes, slow gallops, 2/4 time signatures, and half tempo. (referring to hardcore breakdowns)

coming from an officianado.
Quote by systematic_nois
a minor 2nd chord

-------------
--------------
--------------
--------------
----0-----
----4-----

... a half step?

that's technically a locrian/phrygian 2nd, a major 2nd and a minor 2nd are the same thing.

unless you're in dropped d.

then that's a minor 3rd.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I would say that a breakdown is a more calm section of the song, but that's just my opinion. Those three terms is very close in meaning.

I'll elaborate on this later, because this post is kind of wrong but I've got to run!

hardcore breakdowns tend to be the slowest, but heaviest, and most energy-blown-super-testasterone-mega-ultra-CAPSLOCK-hyperactive-heaviest part of the song.

i know i said heaviest twice.
Quote by dreamtheater111
... a half step?

that's technically a locrian/phrygian 2nd, a major 2nd and a minor 2nd are the same thing.

unless you're in dropped d.

then that's a minor 3rd.

if im not mistaken the interval between say for example A and B is a whole step making it a major 2nd and if you say play A and Bb thats a half step difference making it a minor 2nd if im not mistaken. if not then please correct me
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15

What? A minor second and a major second are very different. There is no such thing as a "phrygian/locrian second".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by systematic_nois
if im not mistaken the interval between say for example A and B is a whole step making it a major 2nd and if you say play A and Bb thats a half step difference making it a minor 2nd if im not mistaken. if not then please correct me

but a major second and a minor second are one and the same. that's like saying "a major fifth and a minor fifth," when they are the same inclusive in their scales.

Major steps; WWhWWWh
Minor steps; WhWWhWW (minor as in melodic, not ascending, or harmonic)
both of them are a whole step.

now if you take LOCRIAN
Locrian steps; hWWhWWW
that's a half step
so a Locrian 2nd would be a half step, like from G# to A as in your picture

and a Major 2nd would be from G to A
and a Minor 2nd would be from G to A
but a major second and a minor second are one and the same.

No, they aren't.

that's like saying "a major fifth and a minor fifth,"

No it isn't. A fifth is a perfect interval, whereas a second is not. You can have augmented and diminished fifths.

so a Locrian 2nd would be a half step

It's not called a "locrian second".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I thought that breakdowns were the generic section particular to all of those terrible "hardcore" scene bands, where the guitars just chug open strings in triplet patterns followed by absurd dissonance and back to CHUG CHUG CHUG.

CHUG CHUG CHUG - SCREEEEEECH - CHUG CHUG CHUG - SCREEEEEEEEEECH

Repeat as desired or until the screamer decides to come back in mindlessly praising Jesus Christ.
Quote by Paquijón
I thought that breakdowns were the generic section particular to all of those terrible "hardcore" scene bands, where the guitars just chug open strings in triplet patterns followed by absurd dissonance and back to CHUG CHUG CHUG.

Repeat as desired or until the screamer decides to come back in mindlessly praising Jesus Christ.

pretty much hit the nail on the head
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Typically in rock music a breakdown is where the song often goes to a half time feel, usually before or after a solo section, before speeding up again. Battery by Metallica has a good one, so does Raining Blood by Slayer.
A breakdown is the part which makes people break down and cry.

A breakdown is the part which makes people grab their air guitars and fecking rock.

Two statements...Two facts. You decide.
Quote by Paquijón

Nah, a lot of people think that's all it is but a breakdown could be in any type of music. I think it's a fairly informal term. The part of Echoes by Pink Floyd where it gets into a great rhythm groove (about 7 mins in) and continues to the whale noises I would consider to be a breakdown. Then again, the really heavy outro riff to The Dark Eternal Night by Dream Theater I would also call a breakdown. That's just 2 completely different examples I thought of off the top of my head.