Page 1 of 2
Well, I just got my first Bass at 9 PM yesterday night. Along with my brother, who just got home from Iraq. He changed some stuff around so he could come home two days early, and decided not to tell us. Then, he just walked into our house in full uniform. After saying our greetings and scaring my mom to death, he walks out the door, and comes back in with an Ibanez gig bag, and, as I open it, I now am in possession of my first bass, and the amps on the way!

What I'm really asking is, does anyone else have a good story about their first guitar or bass?
I went to a shop and bought it.

*Wipes tear from eye*

A truly touching story.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
It was a christmas morning.......
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Last Christmas. A huge guitar-shaped present. I opened it, they brought my amp down, plugged it in and made me look a twat by telling me to have a go and I didn't have the slightest idea of what to do.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
I went to a shop and bought it.

*Wipes tear from eye*

A truly touching story.

...I should punch you....

Actually, I was expecting this, I just want to hit someone...
wanna trade brothers?

jkjk my brothers pretty sweet. he left me a bunch of playboys and some midieval swords when he left
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
My mom bought me my first guitar for my birthday. That's it.

Anyways, your brother is awesome. Give him my thanks for serving in the military.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
i went to GC and bought a squier starter pack
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by iLiamKelly
Last Christmas. A huge guitar-shaped present. I opened it, they brought my amp down, plugged it in and made me look a twat by telling me to have a go and I didn't have the slightest idea of what to do.

Nice. Was it even in tune yet?
A long time ago, me and my brother kyle here, we were hitchhiking down a long and lonesome road. . .
i borrowed my first bass from a friend bought my own off musicans friend and then i took my brothers old first act acoustic and fixed her up...still havent bought a new acoustic
Quote by PRS Eddie
A long time ago, me and my brother kyle here, we were hitchhiking down a long and lonesome road. . .

And then you played the best song in the world???? NO ****ING WAY!!!!
Quote by herby190
Nice. Was it even in tune yet?

No, obviously I couldn't tell that day... Now that I think back though, it did sound terrible. That could have just been the fact that I was bashing down on the strings with the pick, no strumming pattern whatsoever. Ah well, something to look back on. xD
My parents scraped a bit of cash together to buy me a starter AXL LP copy, that had a broken jack plug, dodgy wiring and dead frets and an amp that buzzed like hell, it was awful to play, but it got me going, and no matter how much it cut out or fell out of tune, I carried on playing, kicked out of guitar lessons for inadequate gear, I learned on my own, but then when i got a job i was able to afford more desirable gear and now well...tells itself, but i had to sell the poor old LP, repairing it would have cost more than it was worth, i got £50 for the poor old thing a few months ago,

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by TheFly_1990 at Oct 20, 2008,
My parents called me up from the basement and said "Lookee here boy" and it was a brand new Acoustic guitar, very lovely thing. And it came with a messload of picks.
I got my first guitar from my grandpa. It was an acoustic guitar that he bought in 1961 in New York and he played with it all his life, he was an amazing player, he even recorded cassettes (which were the CDs of his time). 20 years after he had bought that amazing guitar he had a seizure and couldn't move the complete left half of his body, so the guitar laid in his closet for years to come. When I was 12 years old and when he had only 2 months to live ('cause of cancer that had developed in his throat, BTW he didn't smoke) he gave me his guitar and his last wish was that I played him a song before he died. So in that 2 months that he had left I learned all that I could learn to play something good for my grandpi. 1 week before he died (unknown to me at that time), while he was laying in bed, I played "Cielito Lindo" (Pretty Sky) while tears where running from both of our eyes, his were of happiness from seeing me play, and mine were of sadness from knowing that he didn't have much time left. It was the best day of my life knowing that I had made my grandpa so happy before he died.

LOVE YOU, Papa!!
Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high

At me:
Quote by Sweaty Balls
You're retarded, thats what you are.

Quote by Insanitydenied
Saddest Story of the Week. You win this thread.

1+1= ME
DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND?
Quote by ShredGod George

thats a pretty depressing story...

oh wait,you actually like squier?
I'm back. Cower in fear, mortals.

Claudio Sanchez is my hero.
Quote by PRS Eddie

there shined a shiny demon...in the middle...of the road...
AND HE SAID!pppllllaaaaayyyyy the best soooonngg in the world,or i'll eat your soul..
I'm back. Cower in fear, mortals.

Claudio Sanchez is my hero.
when i was 12 my mom came home from a concert, and she came in the door with a beautiful gibson semi acoustic that she apparrently won at the concert in a raffle or something.
it was autographed by all the members of the band but i never heard of them so i couldnt care less
Quote by another guy
I got my first guitar from my grandpa. It was an acoustic guitar that he bought in 1961 in New York and he played with it all his life, he was an amazing player, he even recorded cassettes (which were the CDs of his time). 20 years after he had bought that amazing guitar he had a seizure and couldn't move the complete left half of his body, so the guitar laid in his closet for years to come. When I was 12 years old and when he had only 2 months to live ('cause of cancer that had developed in his throat, BTW he didn't smoke) he gave me his guitar and his last wish was that I played him a song before he died. So in that 2 months that he had left I learned all that I could learn to play something good for my grandpi. 1 week before he died (unknown to me at that time), while he was laying in bed, I played "Cielito Lindo" (Pretty Sky) while tears where running from both of our eyes, his were of happiness from seeing me play, and mine were of sadness from knowing that he didn't have much time left. It was the best day of my life knowing that I had made my grandpa so happy before he died.

LOVE YOU, Papa!!

That's a really nice story, seriously.
It was Christmas morning. There were three gifts under the tree which were numbered, 1, 2, and 3, graduating from smallest to largest. I had to open them in order. 1 was a poster with diagrams of every guitar chord on it (I'm sure someone out there has one). 2 was a basic chord and theory book. 3 was my Jackson
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by another guy

LOVE YOU, Papa!!

I just about cried

EDIT: forgot to add my story. I wanted to play guitar after being a rock fan for many years, so when I was 12 my parents brought me to the nearest music store and bought me the $100 dollar guitar I still play to this day
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Last edited by Haggard13 at Oct 20, 2008,
Hand-me-down Vintage Les Paul was my first......

Ahh, the memories - the way two strums sent it out of tune......beautiful.......
Quote by PRS Eddie

and then all of a sudden... in the middle of the road... there shined a shiny demon....and HE SAID "plaaaaay the best, soooon in the wooorld, or ill eat your souls".......
Quote by herby190
Well, I just got my first Bass at 9 PM yesterday night. Along with my brother, who just got home from Iraq. He changed some stuff around so he could come home two days early, and decided not to tell us. Then, he just walked into our house in full uniform. After saying our greetings and scaring my mom to death, he walks out the door, and comes back in with an Ibanez gig bag, and, as I open it, I now am in possession of my first bass, and the amps on the way!

What I'm really asking is, does anyone else have a good story about their first guitar or bass?

That's pretty cool, man, you're lucky to have an older brother like that
Quote by another guy

LOVE YOU, Papa!!

The thread should stop here. That is quite possibly the most touching story I've ever read.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
yeah i got my first one off a friend at work. went home and just went to town. luckily i sort of knew what i was doing from playing guitar hero. that sounds kinda sad even on the internet
I picked up the p.o.s guitar that had been sitting in the basement for a decade and started playing.
My uncle gave me the acoustic he tried to learn on. urns out it was unusable and my parents got my brother and I a Yamaha starter pack to share. I've since upgraded.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
TS you tell that story and leave out the model just say ibanez being a bassist im going to require more and possible pics
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
I was at a Van Halen concert and he threw this shiny green pick into the audience and I caught it. Somethin' bout 'destiny'. Pfffft. I just rocked.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I went off to Central America to get a fresh one. Spent three days in the wilderness tracking it, hunting it, and waiting for the opportunity to strike. Finally, I had the chance to sneak up on it, tackle it to the ground, and subdue it with my bare hands.

Either that, or I walked into a local music store and bought it. Your pick, really.

Silvertone strat, with a shitty Traynor amp, cheap cables, and a handful of picks. $130 bucks. And I'm still playing the bastard.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
Quote by another guy

LOVE YOU, Papa!!

a kid i had computer tech w/ in 8 grade had a les paul copy that he didnt play and wanted 150 for. he wanted me to buy it and i wanted it but i would have never got the money. so i borrowed my friends guitar case, went to this kids house one night w/ 2 other friends, and when he was in the bathroom, i put the guitar in my empty case and me and my buds ran all the way back to my neighborhood. i havent heard from or seen that guy since.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
I got my first guitar at a huge-ass flea market in Seattle. Cheap little nylon string acoustic. Dunno what the hell happened to it, played it for a long time though. But my first GOOD guitar was a Fender MIM Strat. Dont play it much anymore, but i still have it.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
Quote by marktuazon
didn't pull out

wait...what first experience?

Either you're very confused, or you're very confused and you need to seriously rethink your guitar playing technique.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
Quote by ShredGod George

Haha now that is a sad, sad story my friend.
Signatures are too mainstream
Page 1 of 2