This might sound like a dumb quetion, but being a noob I'll go ahead and ask. I am currently playing an Ibanez GAX70, and have no business buying anything more expensive at this point, but if I do continue to improve, I would like to upgrade.

Not sure I will ever upgrade to this level, but looking at Gibson SGs and Les Pauls, they run the gamut in terms of price. I realize that a signature model will cost more, but Les Pauls range from $850 to more than $5000, and SGs run about the same. What is the big difference between an $850 model and a $4000 model?

On a related point, how are the Epiphone SGs and Les Paul's? They are quite a bit cheaper, but I have heard good things about the Les Paul's.

For what it's worth, I like classis rock, such as AC/DC, Ozzy, etc.
I'm not terribly familiar with Gibson vs. Epiphone comparisons, but I had a Epi Les Paul Custom and it was an amazing guitar (I had to sell it because I needed money for college) and it was well suited in playing any sort of rock, from alternative and indie to harder rock, my friend used his in a hardcore band as well. They're very versatile instruments.

As for the difference between Gibson and Epiphone when it comes to Les Pauls and SGs, I think a lot of times you pay for the 'hand made in USA' epithet, while the epi's are made in an some Asian country (Perhaps Korea? I could be wrong, I'm not near any and am too lazy to google it right now) and the Gibson signature tuxedo headstock that appears on most Gibson guitars.

Hope that helps.

Also keep in mind that you can switch out pickups in Epiphone guitars to Gibson's if you want, the pickup is what contributes to much of the guitars tone so that's another option if you are really set on getting a gibson, check what pickups are in it and then put them in an epiphone and build your own sweet after market guitar!
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
Last edited by reservedforchoi at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by Cpt Kangabrew
What is the big difference between an $850 model and a $4000 model?

Craftsmanship, part quality, wood quality and quality control. Basically everything from the look to the quality of parts should be much higher on the higher-price model.

Quote by Ctp Kangabrew
On a related point, how are the Epiphone SGs and Les Paul's? They are quite a bit cheaper, but I have heard good things about the Les Paul's.

As long as you get the higher end models (Standards, Customs, Elitists, Ultras and that kind of thing) you should get a better instrument than a low-end Gibson to be honest, they're very good instruments for the money.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
epi les pauls are great, you have to try a bunch out, cause sometimes you can find some that are worth much more than there price.
and any gibson thats $850 is most likely to be crap, or at least not as good as an epiphone thats $850. i'd look into les paul elitists, there better than studios.