I am looking for an overdrive.

My tone is like Jefferson Airplane meets David Bowie, Jefferson Starship, Aerosmith, and various late 70's-early 80's.

So any suggestions?

I was thinking the Marshall Guv'nor 2, but that seems to get bad reviews. I may get the Jackhammer, but I havent tried it yet, b/c my local GC doesnt have any. They only have the Guvnor, which I'll try tommorow or the next day.

Would the Jackhammer be too heavy for the above listed bands and what not?

What pedal would closest resemble a '68 Plexi at full gain and half volume, and cover the above listed bands, styles, genre, etc?
EHX English Muff'n is very similar in sound to an Orange/JCM style amp (I personally love it), maybe try that out.
for that i would say purple plexi
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
I haven't tried it, but that Lovepedal Purple Plexi seems to be highly praised for getting that Plexi tone.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by mcrfobtai
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800?
What amp are you using. you could try just a tubescreamer. They have a midsy sound.

I will be running a Fender Blues Jr. Its on order, so it aint here yet. I will be running a Bad Monkey through it.

When I tried the above at the store, it got good early 60's stuff, but I want an OD for late 70's early 80's.

i.e.

Led Zep, Aerosmith, Boston, Styx, Jefferson Starship, Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Queen, etc.

Any suggestions?
We dont have those here, are they factory direct or something?

The stores here only carry stuff like Boss, Digitech, EHX, MXR, the name brands.

God, I wish they had boutqiue and factory-direct.
Last edited by neptune1988 at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by neptune1988
We dont have those here, are they factory direct or something?

The stores here only carry stuff like Boss, Digitech, EHX, MXR, the name brands.

www.proguitarshop.com
Stock brands only!!!

l
l
l
l
l
V

Quote by neptune1988

The stores here only carry stuff like Boss, Digitech, EHX, MXR, the stock brands.

I'm sorry if I sound rude. It's just nobody in town carries anything but stock brands. Leaving me to take a chance. I dont want to pay unless I know what I'm getting, and the only way to know that is to try it out in person, which I cant b/c the stores dont have anything. UGH!
I dont buy anything unless I have tired it out first.

These are the only brands they carry, that I would be able to try out:

Boss
Danelectro
Digitech
EHX
Ibanez
Line 6
Marshall
MXR
Pro Co
Seymour Duncan
Vox

Of the above which sounds closest to the plexi?
Dod 250?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I think you should take a leap of faith and buy something you haven't tried before.
Lovepedal (and similar higher-end brands) are usually built to a higher quality than your standard Boss or MXR stomp boxes.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I think you should take a leap of faith and buy something you haven't tried before.
Lovepedal (and similar higher-end brands) are usually built to a higher quality than your standard Boss or MXR stomp boxes.

^That and when you buy from sites like Musicians Friend you get 30 days to return it if you are not completely satisfied. Check the site you're considering buying from first though to be sure.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Pro Co Rat seems to hit it.

I tried it set at:

Gain - 35
Filter (tone) - 30
Volume - 45

Also a Tube Screamer maxed out works too.
There you go. Honestly, why do you make these threads if you aren't gonna take any advice? If you have to try it first then just go out and try everything.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not