To start I am using ernie ball super slinky strings. I just wanted to know the best strings for pinched harmonics and tremolo picking.I find when I speed pick the strings tend to slap around a lot and not getting the desired sound I want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
if they slap around you should probly use a heavier guage string then
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
It's easier for me to pick fast on thinner gauge strings, with brands I can't really tell the difference.
EDIT: It also depends on your tuning. Standard tuning would be easier to trem pick on than two steps down.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Oct 20, 2008,
You are close, but the best you can get is just Ernie Ball Regular Slinky. I say this because Greats like Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, Slash, KK Downing, and even Jimi hendrix used EB regular slinky.
You are close, but the best you can get is just Ernie Ball Regular Slinky. I say this because Greats like Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, Slash, KK Downing, and even Jimi hendrix used EB regular slinky.

Bullshit, hendrix couldn't even afford a whole set of strings when he started up, then slash admitted he used a tad heavier strings to get more torque under the hood (something like .11's or power slinkys if you prefer), as for the others I can't say.

Seriously, try them out, I pinch-raped my les paul when I put .12-52 and downtuned a whole step, but I found out I prefered power slinkys on Eb so that I'g get a clearer open string palm-mute, not to mention the tension was just right, more sustain & control than .10s even if the .11, were tuned a half step lower.

Else just try out standard strings sets, .10s.

EDIT: Maybe your hands are the real issue there.

AND: I just remembered that the guy who sold me my fender amp also talked to me about hendrix's gear, he said that the way he got his crying sound on some songs was by using dental floss strings, something like .08s or .09s at most with super-clear single coil pickups, he'D just have to throw dirt at it or plug into an organ speaker depending on the sound needs.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by Gäbe
Bullshit, hendrix couldn't even afford a whole set of strings when he started up, then slash admitted he used a tad heavier strings to get more torque under the hood (something like .11's or power slinkys if you prefer), as for the others I can't say.

Seriously, try them out, I pinch-raped my les paul when I put .12-52 and downtuned a whole step, but I found out I prefered power slinkys on Eb so that I'g get a clearer open string palm-mute, not to mention the tension was just right, more sustain & control than .10s even if the .11, were tuned a half step lower.

Else just try out standard strings sets, .10s.

Really, im pretty sure that when Hendrix made $2 at his first gig, he baught him a set of EB regular slinkies. I have never tried the power slinkies, but i might now.
*moved*
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by Max Powers_14
To start I am using ernie ball super slinky strings. I just wanted to know the best strings for pinched harmonics and tremolo picking.I find when I speed pick the strings tend to slap around a lot and not getting the desired sound I want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It doesn't matter - strings are strings, the only thing that stops you doing tremolo picking and pinch harmonics is you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I can always pick better with heavier strings esp the faster stuff. I use a hybrid set with the heavy strings on the low strings and thinner strings on the high strings. 10-52. DR strings are by far the best. But don't think that theres some magical string that will help you do this because there isn't. It's all in the skill of the individual. Although you might notice it sounds better on different strings. I noticed the first time I used DR's the harmonics and brightness of them.
Quote by Gäbe

AND: I just remembered that the guy who sold me my fender amp also talked to me about hendrix's gear, he said that the way he got his crying sound on some songs was by using dental floss strings, something like .08s or .09s at most with super-clear single coil pickups, he'D just have to throw dirt at it or plug into an organ speaker depending on the sound needs.

Dental floss? On an electric guitar....
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't matter - strings are strings, the only thing that stops you doing tremolo picking and pinch harmonics is you.

Finally, a coherent, correct post.

I'm always amazed at the number of threads seeking the single 'best' component for this or that. It's all the same. Just learn to play.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1