Hey everyone I need some help. I know about note duration like quarter notes, triplets, half notes, and sixteenth notes, but I don't know how to count the beats of a song. So, can you guys help me with how to count to a song so when i practice with a metronome I could actually know to use it properly for learning songs?

Thanks
Well thats the problem, I don't really know how to count the rhythyms of a song really. Maybe I can get some examples of how to do it please from any song?

Thanks
ok first you need to larn time signature. 4 over 4 is one of the more basic ones. that means there are 4 beats to a measure essentially.

so lets say you got

--o-------
----------
-----------
-----------
-------------
------------
with "o" being a whole note. that would be four beats. thus one whole measure of music.

a quarter note is one beat. so in 4 over 4 you could have four quarters in a measure. a half and two quarters. two halfs. whats really good is set the metronome ont eh lowest setting and just tap your foot to the beat. strum a whole note so it'd be:

STRUM.......2.......3.......4 Strum......2........3.........4 tap your foot to every beat. hope this help!
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training