I'm planning on taking up guitar making as a hobby, and was wondering: Is there any reason why I shouldnt make a hollow/semi-hollow guitar myself, from a blank purchased at warmoth or somewhere similar?
If this is your first build i would suggest something more simple, but other wise go for it.

Also, if you have a local lumber yard, go to them for your wood. It will be be way cheaper. Warmoth is ridiculously expensive.

Cheers!
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
Does anyone know if the chambering is particularly important? I wanna try to emulate the hollow Fenders but obviously I cant be exact...
If you mean full hollowbody, then it is difficult.

If all you want to do is chamber it you need a router and a front to cover it up.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Ah no, just chambering...and I'll probably keep it a bit less hollow than most, just to not go crazy.... And yea, as soon as I start, I promise to put up pictures...
And lets just say I like to be thrown off an airplane into the atlantic during a hurricane to learn to swim.
I assume you're referring to the atlantic thing? It was simply a way to show my attempt at learning stuff...I went from smoke on the water to the afterlife solo, perhaps a more pertinent example.
This sounds like my build...
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Out of curiosity, will it be significantly more difficult to put a floyd-rose bridge on it if I'm making it from just a hunk o' wood?
Well, considering all solid body electric guitars are made from pieces of wood... your question doesn't make any sense.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I think he means putting the sound block under the bridge. That would work
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Nah, I'm not that smart. I meant setting up a floyd-rose on a complete blank...but nvm about that.

New question: I'm gonna put a piece of wood on top of the body (obviously, since its hollow). Does thickness matter? What thicknesses are recomended? I'm looking at using walnut for the top over a mahogany body.
you could massively chamber the body, then put a top on it and do f-holes, or whathaveyou. that way you could carve it if you wanted, and still have the hollowbody.
------

Shwiggity.
get the mahogany from LP addict here on ug, great prices

lp, i better get a discount on my next blank , ive been advertising like crazy for your ass.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Why are your chabers so wierd looking? Do it like a swimming pool if you want it to be semi hollow.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Why are your chabers so wierd looking? Do it like a swimming pool if you want it to be semi hollow.

I read somewhere that large chambers can lead to feedback issues. What exactly do you mean by "like a swimming pool"?
Quote by Prisoner5
I read somewhere that large chambers can lead to feedback issues. What exactly do you mean by "like a swimming pool"?

Large chambers can lead to feedback on guitars when you use a microphone and passive pickups (I believe, might be very wrong!).

Most Semi-Hollow bodies I have seen, have a large area for the bridge and pickups, and then semi circles routed out on either side.

If you don't want large chambers, just do it like this.

Quote by LP Addict
they wont produce microphonics, the hollowness wont make the string vibrate, and the pickups only pick up what the strings do.

So was I kinda right? I know that when using a microphone with an Acoustic, you can get feedback issues.
So the point of having a Semi or Hollow body is for weight and just so its slightly louder, unplugged...and tartyness?