I am relativly new with mesa's, and have not liked them in the past, but the mark IV got my attention. Anyway, Im wondering if there are specific years that the Mark IV was better, and vice versa. Also, I keep hearing about simul-class power section. What is that?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
A version i belive is more "vintage" voiced, as in it's voiced more like a IIC+, while the B version is more modern voiced, like a recto. A has better cleans and less gain, and B has more gain and not as nice cleans.

At least, I believe that's the difference. I read that somewhere, but I have no real experiance with a Mark IV.
The differences are very minimal and without having both right next to each other you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. However, as RG_FANMAN said, the Rev A is very close sounding to the Mark IIC+ and the Rev B is more modern sounding, I'm not sure about his statement on the cleans as they both sound quite similar. I had a Rev A and the cleans on it weren't my thing, but that's not the amps fault, the cleans were nice, just not what I like in my cleans.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by dcdossett65
Also, I keep hearing about simul-class power section. What is that?

hm, from my understanding, it basically runs 2 tubes in class a/b and 2 in class a. beats me. so the 2 inner tubes would put out roughly 60watts, and the outer 2 would put out about 25watts, totaling 85watts. how do they do it? beats me.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
hm, from my understanding, it basically runs 2 tubes in class a/b and 2 in class a. beats me. so the 2 inner tubes would put out roughly 60watts, and the outer 2 would put out about 25watts, totaling 85watts. how do they do it? beats me.

simulclass just means you can run all 4 tubes for 85W in class A/B, or run the amp in class A which only uses the outer 2 tubes. You can sub in EL34 in the outer spots and run them in class A too, or run in class A/B with 6L6 and El34.

iirc, the power settings were 30W, 55W, 70W, and 85W using a combination of class A or class A/B and pentode/triode settings.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ohh... i thought it was more complicated than that. that's why i'm not an amp tech
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Well that helps a lot, thanks guys. Now im looking for the head version, what price should I be looking for roughly? I dont want to get ripped off if it ever comes to purchasing one. I mostly see around 1400-1500 for the head, but I head the go lower.

Next, are those mahogany/wicker heads rare? They kick ass!

Lastly, are all those wattage settings easily switchable on the amp? Or is this a tube pulling thing?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Well that helps a lot, thanks guys. Now im looking for the head version, what price should I be looking for roughly? I dont want to get ripped off if it ever comes to purchasing one. I mostly see around 1400-1500 for the head, but I head the go lower.

Next, are those mahogany/wicker heads rare? They kick ass!

Lastly, are all those wattage settings easily switchable on the amp? Or is this a tube pulling thing?

Some are on the amp, some are tube switching. As for price, expect to pay at least 1300 shipped. I got my '91 for $1125 shipped very recently, but I got lucky. If one shows up for $1500 + shipping in great condition, then that is good too, yet they often go for even more than that if the condition is near perfect.
Very cool, thats a good deal. Im shooting for the Version B, because I want a tad bit more modern sound. I did head the IIC+'s though, and I liked it alot.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Very cool, thats a good deal. Im shooting for the Version B, because I want a tad bit more modern sound. I did head the IIC+'s though, and I liked it alot.

Not sure which version mine is, but since it is the first year, I'm assuming that means it is an A. It gets a tone extremely close to Master of Puppets (Metallica used a IIC+ on that, so that makes sense I suppose). I personally like the larger/wider size of the old '91 I have (the later medium/wide heads were not as wide as this one if I go by Mesa's specs). Pic of mine that I took recently as the cab came in today (taken right where the (now torn up) box in the background was left by UPS:

I am so jealous ahhhh
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
I am so jealous ahhhh

-- I'm just now noticing that you are the same user that was asking about amps in a thread I had previously mentioned the Mk IV in (there are so many UG members). So hopefully I haven't repeated anything

Otherwise, your sig shows some nice gear, so you don't have much to be jealous about with me