Hey UG users,

I'm not new to playing guitar, but up until recently I hadn't really broken into using effects and such, being as my electric guitar seemed to take second chair to my acoustic. That being said, my electric playing is emerging as dominant (from what I hear it always seems to), and I'm trying to put together a prospective list of pedals that I'm interested in getting my hands on (eventually).

My list thus far is as follows;
-Boss Chromatic Tuner
-Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 (I plan on modding it)
-Boss Digital Delay DD-3
-Boss Equalizer GE-7
-Crybaby Wah
-Boss Volume Pedal FV-500L Stereo

My question is in a couple parts;

First off, I'm a full-time college student, so it'll be a little while until I can put this all together. But before I even start I wondered if anybody on these forums had any advice for me concerning the content of my list. Are there any pedals you strongly encourage/discourage me from getting? Anything you think is vital that I'm missing?

Secondly, I'm going to need a pedalboard on which to arrange these pedals. I plan on building one myself, but I wondered about a couple things. Power supply-wise, what do you reccommend? And when it comes to transporting the board and my pedals, since it'll be a custom build and not ncessarily a perfect fit, should I assume I won't be able to keep my pedals on the board when I move it around?

Any input at all is appreciated, I know nobody wants to sit down and answer all my questions, but thanks in advance for those of you who bother to tackle one or two of them!

Oh and by the way; my playing is mainly clean, bluesy-sounding rock and pop, as my music is heavily influenced by John Mayer. My main gig will be playing in a worship band at my church, however, if that alters the content of your advice at all. Much as I appreciate metal and hard rock, it's just not my huckleberry when it comes to pedals.
ok i didnt read the full thread but i got the general idea of what u want.
try the digitech hardwire series over the boss pedals they very promising compared to other digitech pedals and with true bypass and everything on them u cant go wrong, ts9 good idea, for the wah check out the vox one if ur only looking at the cheap cry baby or try thsi wah http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Crybaby-535Q-MultiWah-Pedal?sku=151016 and im not sure about volume pedals. for power supply i recomend a dunlop dc brick its very relilable but a little hard on the wallet. for transporting why not just get a gear bag to put them in
edit: he pretty much said almost the same as me but i highely recomend the digitach stuff over some of the stuff he said ernie ball pedal looks well built so check that out. the power supply he recomended is supposed to be good i really dont want a 40$ thing powering hundreds of dollars of pedals
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Last edited by gstacey1 at Oct 20, 2008,
Ghold, thanks for the links 8 ) there's some fun stuff out there; do you then advise picking the Korg tuner over the Boss? Same question for the Vox over the Crybaby. On the volume pedal though, I've heard some less than spectacular reviews, especially concerning the string : / What's your experience?

And gstacey, I'll need to have another look at the Digitechs, they look pretty sweet. Thanks for the advice about power!

Oh and quick newb question; do most professional quality pedalboards that function also as carriers allow you to leave your pedals attached while you carry it? Stupid question I'm sure but I wondered.
Yeah, the Korg tuner is significantly more accurate than the Boss one.

How are you planning on modding the TS9? Keeley makes a great modded TS9.

Most people use velcro to attach pedals to their boards for easy arranging.

The DD-6 or DD-7 have a much greater range of functionality than the DD-3 for just a little bit extra.

As far as the equalizer goes, just what is it that you don't like about your tone that made you decide you need one?
Well I'm going to procure for myself a much better amp than I'm playing right now (probably a Blues Deluxe), but my experience playing the 1x12 is that I'd prefer a smoother mid, by the time I'd brought it up on the amp EQ, it seemed too sharp compared to the low and high ends. Nothing's final just yet, I wanted to include all the effects I will potentially just to err on the side of caution.

And I've heard you can get a mod chip to turn a TS9 into a TS808, at least in terms of sound, so that's what I'm going for. But for worship lead, do you think I'd need more of an overdrive? I'll definitely look at the upgraded Delays, thanks.

It seems to me that the velcro wouldn't hold the pedals in place if you lifted a pedalboard up lengthwise; do most gigging musicians carry their pedals seperately and place them on the board later?

EDIT: I was incorrect about the specifics of the amps I tried.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Last edited by Denthrare at Oct 20, 2008,
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I'm checking the Maxon out right now, it sounds just as you described. Needless to say I'll need to get a side-by-side comparison of it and the TS-9, thanks!

I do have a qualm or two about the H20, mainly being that I'm not terribly interested in a Chorus effect; I'd be hesitant to pay for an effect I wouldn't use when to my ear the DD-7 in its analog modulation mode sounds similar to the H20.

Now that visual sound pedal, on the other hand; that's interesting, I like the idea.

Thanks guys, this is some great input and I couldn't appreciate it more.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Definitely go with the Korg Pitchblack tuner. I just got mine delivered a few days ago and its perfect. For whatever reason, the Canadian site I ordered it off of is selling it for $68 CDN, which is like $58 US, cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else by a lot.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
The Boss TU-2 has a power supply and can power up to 8 pedals. I use a 1 spot cheap and powerful.

I cant say that Ive used ALOT of tuners, but I have tried a few back to back seems to me the difference in the 3 that I did have of various price range, the $20 tuner tuned the same as the $100. It was either in tune or not and my ears couldnt tell a difference
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Haha telemonster you bring up an interesting and provacative point.

I have one general question that pertains to setting up my pedalboard once I've built it up; I have a 1Spot power adapter, but my question is how it compares in terms of quality, reliability, and silence to, say, a Voodoo or J.D. power supply?
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
I'm yet to have a problem with my 1Spot. Doesn't seem to have any effect on my tone or add any noticeable extra noise. Obviously you need to be careful not to like, trip over the wire and rip it out, but if you're plugging it into a powerstrip and not directly into the wall, i dont see any problem to question its reliability.

telemonster- i agree there isnt necessarily a noticeable difference between 20 and 100 dollar tuners, but when playing live it is much more convenient to have a pedal, and thats when you have to take into consideration how having it plugged in affects your tone. I find the Korg Pitchblack doesn't affect my tone at all, as it is (supposedly) true bypass.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
Point taken...My tuner is built into my processer so it has no effect on my tone. I kinda forgot about pedal tuners. Which brings up a question. Has TS considered a "all in one" processor? I am quite happy with my digitech gnx3, a few of my friends have gnx's and are pretty happy with them too. I bought mine used off evilbay for $200 shipped and insured. .......Just something to take into consideration

Concerning the 1 spot, I bought it on the recomendation of the salesman at GC, because of the amount of miliamps it produces. If I remeber right it had the same or more available miliamps than most other options and was way cheaper. I think I paid less than $30 for the power supply and daisy chain.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Last edited by telemonster at Oct 24, 2008,