Cure their mind
21 27%
Make them crazier
26 34%
???
30 39%
Voters: 77.
Page 1 of 2
I honestly think mental hospitals are a bad idea. Throwing a bunch of people that might have mental problems into a home filled with a bunch of other "crazy" people. The staff might be nice, but do these homes really cure them? What people with any mental problem need is a caring home to stay with while they sort out their problem. Mental problems just make them go crazier.
EDIT: I haven't really read up on any of this, I just had a thought o_o
Last edited by RPGoof at Oct 20, 2008,
Have you visited one, or tried to read up on them? i haven't. But i think you should if you want to start making opinions. But in my uninformed opinion, i think it depends on the institution.
A is A

Quote by CrackAddict2000
I find it quite astonishing how you managed to post this if the site is just a man with a beard.
Don't you think it's better for the mentally ill to be in an environment where the emphasis is on their rehabilitation and treatment?

Mental wards do this.
Quote by gourd42
Have you visited one, or tried to read up on them? i haven't. But i think you should if you want to start making opinions. But in my uninformed opinion, i think it depends on the institution.

Logic and reasoning? In the Pit??
Quote by gourd42

It's just from what I've heard.
I'm reading a book in school called Tuesdays with Morrie, but those examples were from 1950s...
A friend of mine attempted suicide this weekend and he was sent there for the weekend. He seemed like a normal kid. I just think he would need therapy rather than throwing him in a hospital. If you're in a hospital, you're in there for a reason. you have a problem. People could feel insulted if they are in the home because of their 'problem'.
Just think about it. If you were surrounded by crazy people all day, how could you become sane?
If you were surrounded by normal, caring people, could you become better easier?
Those hospitals are to protect us from potentially dangerous people, not to cure them.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
you sound like a prick. my bro is in the psych ward right now for bipolar and it was the saddest thing to see him like that, but with the help of the doctors and even the patients there he is becoming more and more like "himself." Go become a psychiatrist before you try to figure out what is better for somebody else.
Things were different back then. The thing is, people are admitted because the adjudicating body decides they're not fit to function normally in society without rehabilitation, and that's what they get at these care facilities.
I think the problem in your logic is thinking that all mental illness is curable. Likewise, not all mental patients have family that can devote their lives to them in home based care. I do agree with Gourd that it is situational. On my block there is a house that has about 5 mentally dependent patients living there and I believe it works well. My buddy Special K seems to like it there, no joke.
Quote by RPGoof
It's just from what I've heard.
I'm reading a book in school called Tuesdays with Morrie, but those examples were from 1950s...
A friend of mine attempted suicide this weekend and he was sent there for the weekend. He seemed like a normal kid. I just think he would need therapy rather than throwing him in a hospital. If you're in a hospital, you're in there for a reason. you have a problem. People could feel insulted if they are in the home because of their 'problem'.

Yeah, i think that having some time off with a pychologist, therapist, or just with yourself is the best thing for suicidal people, deppresion, and other mental illnesses like this. But for really serious things, i think you should consider a mental hospital. But you've got me thinking. It's sort of like the whole ' prison makes people stronger better criminals ' thing.

This should be an interesting thread.
A is A

Quote by CrackAddict2000
I find it quite astonishing how you managed to post this if the site is just a man with a beard.
Quote by EnyoAdonai
Those hospitals are to protect us from potentially dangerous people, not to cure them.

They should just call them "crazy cages" then and stop pussy footing around the issue.
Quote by EnyoAdonai

True and not true. They help those who can be helped and the rest are basically there much like a prisoner in jail.
Might make them crazier but most them are too crazy to be out in the streets anyway, sometimes you hear about them escaping and then they go rape teenage girls or stab up some guy.
i think when people think of mental hospitals, they have an image of a place where a bunch of "crazy" people are thrown together in a ward, and they're left there to act strange all the time. you then have evil doctors that do nothing to help them, but like to perform strange experiments on them.

i find it hard to believe many are actually like this. the idea is that they are being put in a place where a focus can be put on their rehabilitation.
I've got another friend who's father has Schizophrenia.
me (9:14:53 PM): i think mental hospitals don't really fix the problem
me (9:14:58 PM): just make it worse
friend (9:14:58 PM): no
friend (9:15:00 PM): they dont
friend (9:15:02 PM): ik
friend (9:15:05 PM): my dads been in plenty
friend (9:15:06 PM): ik all about em

He's on medication and is functioning normal in society, thankfully. I haven't met him, but from what I've heard, he's a pretty cool guy when he functions normally.
I know some mental diseases may not have a cure, but there are better solutions then throwing them into a 'crazy ward'.
Quote by Old Lady
Might make them crazier but most them are too crazy to be out in the streets anyway, sometimes you hear about them escaping and then they go rape teenage girls or stab up some guy.

Post link please. It just really doesn't happen.
Quote by RPGoof
there are better solutions then throwing them into a 'crazy ward'.

Like dropping them behind enemy lines with an assault rifle and a bowie knife?
Quote by RPGoof

He's on medication and is functioning normal in society, thankfully. I haven't met him, but from what I've heard, he's a pretty cool guy when he functions normally.
I know some mental diseases may not have a cure, but there are better solutions then throwing them into a 'crazy ward'.

What I do not understand is your argument's attempt to place a blanket over the topic. Mental homes will work for some and not for others. You are saying that mental homes do not work because your friend's dad is not severely in need of them. True, a good samaritan cannot be cured by being placed in prison, but it does not capture the entire picture.
Quote by daytripper75
i think when people think of mental hospitals, they have an image of a place where a bunch of "crazy" people are thrown together in a ward, and they're left there to act strange all the time. you then have evil doctors that do nothing to help them, but like to perform strange experiments on them.

i find it hard to believe many are actually like this. the idea is that they are being put in a place where a focus can be put on their rehabilitation.

This.

They don't just stuff people together in a room and treat them like cattle.

Quote by RPGoof

I think you have that idea that I quoted above.

And what solutions are there really? Leave them at home and give them a few pills?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Crazy, but thats how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe its not to late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate

Mental wounds not healing
Lifes a bitter shame
Im going off the rails on a crazy train

Ive listened to preachers
Ive listened to fools
Ive watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned to rule and control
The media sells it and you have the role

Mental wounds still screaming
Driving me insane
Im going off the rails on a crazy train

I know that things are going wrong for me
You gotta listen to my words
Yeh-h

Heirs of a cold war
Thats what weve become
Inheriting troubles Im mentally numb
Crazy, I just cannot bear
Im living with something that just isnt fair

Mental wounds not healing
Who and whats to blame
Im going off the rails on a crazy train...

Seriously, if you can give them medicine that DOESN'T ALTER THEIR PERSONALITY, I say they don't need to be reminded they're insnae.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by Kensai

And what solutions are there really? Leave them at home and give them a few pills?

exactly. for some people with mild mental illness this is probably a perfectly acceptable solution.

but when you have people with severe mental illness, they probably will benefit more from being put in a place where they can be given meds, but they can also receive daily counseling and psychological help.
I used to always see them as places to remove severely retarded people from society, but since I have grown wiser ( ) I have realized that they are probably like people have said before. They are probably meant to rehabilitate them and try and get them back into society, rather than remove them from it altogether. How effective it is I don't have a clue.
I just feel like therapy and counseling could be more effective than sending everyone to a crazy home. Sure, medication could work too. I just don't think mental hospitals are a good 'blanket' treatment to everyone with a mental disorder.
But granted, there is always the lot that just can't be helped by methods stated above. What to do with them? I have no clue.
my dad used to work in one he said that it was the most depressing place he had ever seen. He said there was one room with two rows of chairs in the middle facing out windows on either side and people used to just sit there for hours.

IMO its a good place for most mentally ill people, because a lot of those people are incurable and cant really live alone.
Quote by EnyoAdonai

you make it sound like a prison. many people in mental hospitals, institutions, etc, are in there for various reasons, not necessarily because they are a harm to others
I see no sign of fortress.
Quote by RPGoof
I just feel like therapy and counseling could be more effective than sending everyone to a crazy home. Sure, medication could work too. I just don't think mental hospitals are a good 'blanket' treatment to everyone with a mental disorder.

You do realise that they get therapy and counseling in most of them, don't you?
Many of them don't go to be cured.

They go to be "made comfortable".

Many of those people are there waiting to die.
Quote by creeping.death!
You do realise that they get therapy and counseling in most of them, don't you?

Good point lawl
But in all seriousness, I think therapy and counseling outside of a mental hospital would make yourself feel better about yourself because you just aren't thrown into a mental hospital.
If I was put in one, I'd feel quite insulted. It's like saying, hey, you're crazy, let me stick you in this place full of crazy people.
I don't mean to insult mentally ill people as crazy, but thats kind of how I think I would feel if I was put in one.
Just because you only hear about the loonies, doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of people that make good progress there. It's not like 100 years ago where they only had them locked together. Today they have talks with psychiatrics, therapy, and a lot more things.
The media simply focuses on the bad cases.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by RPGoof
Good point lawl
But in all seriousness, I think therapy and counseling outside of a mental hospital would make yourself feel better about yourself because you just aren't thrown into a mental hospital.
If I was put in one, I'd feel quite insulted. It's like saying, hey, you're crazy, let me stick you in this place full of crazy people.
I don't mean to insult mentally ill people as crazy, but thats kind of how I think I would feel if I was put in one.

They're put there for a reason. Its not to insult them, its to ensure that they get better. They make the patient know that before putting them in there.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
its not necessarily that they are being cured, but they are being professionally cared for when they cannot care for themselves.

but in some cases, obviously, the diseases can be cured.
Last edited by rock_n_roll124 at Oct 20, 2008,
ive known 2 good friends whove gone to the same mental hospital and they both said they used experimental drugs on them that fucked them up (in a bad way). Kinda funny that the place is called Mount Diablo.
I've been in one, generally the really crazy people are in a seperate ward from people who actually have a shot at leaving within a fairly short period of time, and yeah there are a few crazy people but you kinda stay away from them and if they get too nuts they get isolated from everyone else until they calm down. Yeah mental hospitals are a good idea.

Quote by PrimalScreamer
ive known 2 good friends whove gone to the same mental hospital and they both said they used experimental drugs on them that fucked them up (in a bad way). Kinda funny that the place is called Mount Diablo.

I don't know where you live, but here (and in most non-3rd world countries) that's highly illegl unless they agree to it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Without metal institutions, we would never have the chance to see the Chief avenge the "death" of McMurphy by throwing a really heavy sink through the window

Mental hospitals are a good idea in my opinion. Though, years ago, they were horrible places. Byberry Hospital, a notorious mental hospital that ran from the early 1900's to the 70's, is near me and many people dare to venture inside it a year despite it being abandoned. The place gives me the creeps

If you've ever heard the horror stories from back then, you'll be glad we have the hospitals we have now.
Never really thought about it....

???, I CHOOSE YOU!
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
Quote by RPGoof
I honestly think mental hospitals are a bad idea.=
What a coincidence, because I think you're stupid.
Quote by RPGoof
Throwing a bunch of people that might have mental problems into a home filled with a bunch of other "crazy" people.
First off, it's not like we're just throwing them in a room with other people and they're all just walking around aimlessly doing nothing.
Quote by RPGoof
The staff might be nice, but do these homes really cure them?
They sure as fuck can help somebody out and make their lives a lot easier. And mental hospitals aren't "home" any more than other hospitals are. So there's no cure for cancer and other diseases. Does that mean treatment is useless? No.
Quote by RPGoof
What people with any mental problem need is a caring home to stay with while they sort out their problem.
Funny you mention this. I have an uncle (paranoid schizophrenic) and his brother thought the exact same thing. Here's what we found out: What you just said is bullshit. Mental illness isn't something that love and family and all that shit can always cure, and I don't give a fuck what any hippie scientologist says. This isn't a problem like "Hmm, I think I play too much WoW." Saying that mental illness patients just need a loving and caring home is about as valid as saying the same for a cancer patient. Sure, there might be some mental illness patient that a caring home might help, but mental illness is a biological and physical illness. It's not like they have a case of the sadsies and they're feeling blue.
Quote by RPGoof
EDIT: I haven't really read up on any of this, I just had a thought o_o
Which explains why it's fucking retarded.
Page 1 of 2