Is it considered cheating or lame to use a looper if you are a singer and guitarist? I don't really know which professional musicians use them, and I've had a hard time finding out, but it seems like a good idea. On the other hand, it also seems like it's just... wrong.

What are your thoughts?
Quote by RPGoof
While playing live?
...Why?
I can understand if you do it in the studio to make it easier to record, but live... not really.

its good if you need to solo and you dont have a rhythm guitarist
there are a lot of guys who do this type of thing at acoustic shows. mmmmm....jamestown story, howie day. can't think of any more right now though. personally i would never do it, but i'm REALLY lazy
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
I know it's lazy, and I was just wondering if it's okay to be a little lazy. I'm sick of our "singer's" bullshit, and he's not really with us anymore, so I'm going to be singing, but I have yet to develop the skill of singing while I'm playing. I'm sure it'll come with some intense practice.
Looping devices weren't meant to be used like that. They were meant to create practice patterns, ambient noise, create a foundation to build upon, but not to play the riff of a song once and then loop it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Just check out Muse and KT Tunstall, then ask yourself. . . is it ethical? You can't always do everything at the same time.

Here's a clip of KT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYEU91d8ngc
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Last edited by notsee at Oct 20, 2008,
using a looper to play something simple over and over for you just because you havent figured out how to play something just right or because you cant sing and play at the same time is kinda lame.

but if you can use a looper well and make it work seamlessly into the act then go for it. Im not 100% sure but i seem to recall hearing that John Frusciante uses a looper on the song Venice Queen during live performance. but he makes the most of it, using the looper to play the melody over and over while he plays other lead guitar parts over it.
singing while playing aint too hard if you know the rhthym and pattern, but using a loop pedal is just a good way to keep a rhythm part going if you're doing a lead part for a little bit or if you need to solo...
Dave Knudson of Minus the Bear and Botch, excellent use of loopers.
Quote by candysars
The best Pokemon is Metapod. Name him Wiener or P3n1s, and then use harden. LAWLZ everytime.

Schecter C-1 Elite EMG 81/85
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Quote by Jread
using a looper to play something simple over and over for you just because you havent figured out how to play something just right or because you cant sing and play at the same time is kinda lame.

but if you can use a looper well and make it work seamlessly into the act then go for it. Im not 100% sure but i seem to recall hearing that John Frusciante uses a looper on the song Venice Queen during live performance. but he makes the most of it, using the looper to play the melody over and over while he plays other lead guitar parts over it.

Yeah, I got that, but it was more the 'foundation' deal I was wondering about. Like if I wanted to play a riff, and then play something different, whether it was harder, or easier so i could sing... I don't know. Maybe I'll just skip the whole thing.
Its a tool, use it however you see fit. If you spend all your time worrying about how it might be conventional to use something, you'll never break new ground.
Loop pedals are ethical in the stand point of certain sintuations.

1 - A Rythymn Track for a guitar solo If you lack a Rythymn guitarist
2 - Making a melodic duo That includes both open notes and palm mutes at the same time durig a distorted part (everyone who has tried with high gain to hold a ringing note on a string and galloping a palm muted note on a different string at the same time will know that the two drown oneanother out for some reason)
3 - Crazy Effect presentation (essentialy holding a not for ever and playing with the knobs to produce crazy effects not possible without a constant note.)
4 and with some bands for sampling.
Only if you're Paul Gilbert.

edit - On a more serious note, I would say it isn't cheating if it's used within a certain context, like if your performing on your own. If you're playing leads over a rhythm, it's essentially the same as playing over a backing track. Just singing over a loop pedal while miming that you're playing guitar is pretty lame though.
Quote by Myung-trucci
More notes per second=more emotion per second.
Last edited by Veillantif at Oct 20, 2008,
The looper I was looking at, the Boss RC-2 Loop Station, is about 190 green ones. That seems like a lot of money to pay for just laying down a backing track for soloing and stuff.
actually, i just saw a show the other day (Chromeo at the troc) and the opening "band" was a dj who just had a bunch of premixed songs playing off his mac.

so, in contrast to this sort of "performance" i think using a looper to set a rythm or foundation loop is entirely ethical. I'd say as long as the effect adds to your performance, utilize it as much as possible. the hardest part of fiddling with any effect is knowing just where to turn that mix knob, but everything can be done tastefully.
Minus the Bear, Underoath, The Used, Isis, Tool, Dimebag (live at least), and tons of postrock/metal bands utlize the DL4 delay/looper. Mastodon use a Jam Man to loop some of the intros to their songs that they did in studio that are hard to replicate live.

No, it's not cheating.

I actually saw a vid at GC awhile ago with a guy using a hybrid eletric/acoustic and playing a solo show, and he played most of the song himself, but looped the main riff for the chorus, when he played another part that was higher up on the neck, looped that, then did a single note pattern ,then another one, then a melody line, then a solo, followed by ANOTHER solo, followed by another melody line, then another chord progression, and it was just soo massive, and sounded so good, and it did it all without missing a beat or anything sounding out of time. Short of having 9 other guitarists on stage, that would only be possible with a looper.
Quote by Veillantif
Only if you're Paul Gilbert.

I love Gilbert his snce of humor will never fail to amuse me.
Especialy the way he knows everyone whos a guitarist knows what hes doing yet he fools so many people right in their face.
So you all think it's bad to use a looper just for singing, so you don't have to do both? I wouldn't feel bad about using it to solo. I wouldn't have asked about that, but using it to sing just feels like cheating to me.