I am another poor soul who unknowingly bought one of these abominations. I'm either getting a good sum of money or I can put a few relative's budgets together for one super Christmas gift. I've been considering Ashdown but I would much rather try out the amp I'm buying. I've heard some bad stuff and GK Blackline but I played one with the bass I'm getting and it sounded worlds better than my current situation. There's a Guitar Center and that's about it for gear.

400$ is pretty much my limit. (less for Christmas, maybe a little more if I get payed.) My Behringer ends up around 50w but I would like 150w or around there. I mostly play in my room but there's a possibility of jams and eventually shows. I like a subtle growl in my tone but other than that I'm not too picky as long as it has an EQ.

Halp
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Acoustic B200.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Acoustic B200.

I noticed you can hook up a cab to it. Does it do 200w without the cabs and if you hook them up they just give more clarity and whatnot or do you need a cab to get 200w?

I thought it was for acoustic basses and never looked at it. That looks like my best option so far though.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
first, 200 without cab.

second, basses made for acoustic basses sound sexy with normal basses. AB50 especially.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
so how much wattage could I pull out of the Acoustic B200 with another cab?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by the humanity
first, 200 without cab.

second, basses made for acoustic basses sound sexy with normal basses. AB50 especially.

While your right, idk that Id call electrics normal basses. Acoustics came way before
Quote by Victory2134

I'm curious about this too....200 should be great for me but if I need to crank it, it would be nice to know that I could plug in a cab for some added power.....The extra cab will help in the case of cranking nonetheless....
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Victory2134

It will depend on the ohm rating of the cab and whether you wire it in a series or parallel circuit.
Quote by rollininrhythm
While your right, idk that Id call electrics normal basses. Acoustics came way before

This was not worth saying. If you want to go that route, a "normal bass" would be an upright bass, a viol. But that's irrelevant, because everybody knew what he meant when he said "normal basses". So stop.

TS, I know this is something somebody was bound to say, but you really should head down to the music store and try out some different amps, at least to get a flavor for the brands. I found that I was starting to not be able to hear how certain amps I've tried sound in my head, because that information in my brain had been replaced with discussions about them here on the forum.

Now, to add to that, I've never tried an Ashdown. But... I'M actually considering getting one because of just how many people swear by them here at UG. The Electric Blue series seems to be in your price range. But yeah, I know, you haven't been able to try them, I know I want to try them before I buy one.

So, moral of the story, make a trip to Guitarshopland.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
This was not worth saying. If you want to go that route, a "normal bass" would be an upright bass, a viol. But that's irrelevant, because everybody knew what he meant when he said "normal basses". So stop.

TS, I know this is something somebody was bound to say, but you really should head down to the music store and try out some different amps, at least to get a flavor for the brands. I found that I was starting to not be able to hear how certain amps I've tried sound in my head, because that information in my brain had been replaced with discussions about them here on the forum.

Now, to add to that, I've never tried an Ashdown. But... I'M actually considering getting one because of just how many people swear by them here at UG. The Electric Blue series seems to be in your price range. But yeah, I know, you haven't been able to try them, I know I want to try them before I buy one.

So, moral of the story, make a trip to Guitarshopland.

I do play amps at Guitar Center....all they carry is GK, Fender, Ampeg and maybe a few others but the bass section is very neglected in terms of cords and power outlets. As I mentioned earlier, I played a GK and enjoyed how it sounds but reviews make me hesitant.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by WhyLater

You were doing so well! A viol is actually a 6 stringed fretted instrument that was played with a bow. They were developed during the 1400's or there abouts.

Apart from that, s'all good
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
You were doing so well! A viol is actually a 6 stringed fretted instrument that was played with a bow. They were developed during the 1400's or there abouts.

It's a bigass violin. It goes Violin>Viol>Cello>String Bass if I'm not mistaken. String quartet FTW!
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
It's a bigass violin. It goes Violin>Viol>Cello>String Bass if I'm not mistaken. String quartet FTW!

You're thinking of a Viola.

Stupid names I know, but they are very different.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
You're thinking of a Viola.

Stupid names I know, but they are very different.

I knew something didn't sound right! It's like how baryton and baritone are worlds apart. I wasn't too informed on strings until recently and I only know what I've picked up from my assistant band director.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Nutter_101

But it's often disputed that the double bass is part of (or a descendant of) the viol family, due to some of it's characteristics, like the sloped shoulders, German bowhold, and (kind of) the tuning.
Quote by CurbstompBass
But it's often disputed that the double bass is part of (or a descendant of) the viol family, due to some of it's characteristics, like the sloped shoulders, German bowhold, and (kind of) the tuning.

It is uncertain whether the instrument is a descendant of the viola da gamba or from the violin, but it is traditionally considered to be a member of the violin family. While the double bass has features which are similar to those found on other violin family instruments, it also has features which may be derived from the viols.

It has similar features, but it's also missing a lot of them, like frets, 6 strings, the ability to be played sideways. Mainly different tuning, the bow used was a different shape.

To be honest, it has more in connection with violins than it does with viols. Who the hell comes up with these names anyway?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
It is uncertain whether the instrument is a descendant of the viola da gamba or from the violin, but it is traditionally considered to be a member of the violin family. While the double bass has features which are similar to those found on other violin family instruments, it also has features which may be derived from the viols.

It has similar features, but it's also missing a lot of them, like frets, 6 strings, the ability to be played sideways. Mainly different tuning, the bow used was a different shape.

To be honest, it has more in connection with violins than it does with viols. Who the hell comes up with these names anyway?

It's tuned in fourths, with a major third thrown in (ala guitar). And there are four, five, and seven stringed viols. And the bass's German bow was more similar to the viol's bow than the violin's.

And in every orchestra I've played in, the bass wasn't considered a part of the violin family. More a bastard child of the viols and violins. A gray area, sort of.

And yes, the names are pretty trivial.
So....any suggestions for amps? Apparently I don't mind Gallien-Krueger, pretty much anything within my price range, a bit over 100w preferably and durable.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls