I've heard that a 22 fret guitar, due to the placement of the neck pickup, has a distinct sound difference to a 24 fret guitar. I haven't been able to hear this for myself, because there are sooo many little details that affect sound. What specifically is this sound, and does anyone have a soundclip or something distinguishing the two? There has to be a difference, otherwise everyone would just use a 24 fret guitar...right?
Umm, www.edromanguitars.com I believe me and Ed Roman share the sentiment that 24 fret guitar necks are better.

Another note I do believe it thins the tone a little bit.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Last edited by notsee at Oct 20, 2008,
not necessarily

24 frets makes the neck longer and some people (me being one of them) dont care that much about having 2 extra frets u wont use as much as the other 22
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
Ed Roman is a jackass.

Not on his knowledge of guitars. . . Other than that, I agree. He contests that his guitars are better than PRS and blah blah blah. . . You can't win on all points though can you?
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

Well, to actually answer OP's question...

The key is that on a 22 (or 21) fret neck, the neck pickup will be positioned directly under a certain harmonic-rich portion of the string. You can cause a natural harmonic directly above the neck pickup on most 22 fret guitars - the neck pickup is exactly halfway between the 12th fret and the bridge. Also, the strings vibrate on a larger range, which helps with the definition between each note, each string, and helps define more subtle playing styles (like softer vibrato)

On a 24 fret guitar (or any SG styled guitar, even the 22 fret ones), the neck pickup has to be moved backwards to make room for the extra frets (or for SGs, to make room for the neck join). This means it's no longer right under that 'sweet spot' of the strings.

In terms of normal playing, this means that the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar is more defined, more articulate, responds dynamically to playing better... you name it. It's simply a better part of the string for the neck pickup to be placed under.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

I like your answer and I had just actually looked all that junk up and found nothing different. It seems everybody agrees with me online, the difference is too subtle to tell anyways. People say they can "hear it" more times than not because they can "see it." (it being the difference of tone.)
Quote by paranoid joker

Quote by MrFlibble

The key is that on a 22 (or 21) fret neck, the neck pickup will be positioned directly under a certain harmonic-rich portion of the string. You can cause a natural harmonic directly above the neck pickup on most 22 fret guitars - the neck pickup is exactly halfway between the 12th fret and the bridge. Also, the strings vibrate on a larger range, which helps with the definition between each note, each string, and helps define more subtle playing styles (like softer vibrato)

On a 24 fret guitar (or any SG styled guitar, even the 22 fret ones), the neck pickup has to be moved backwards to make room for the extra frets (or for SGs, to make room for the neck join). This means it's no longer right under that 'sweet spot' of the strings.

In terms of normal playing, this means that the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar is more defined, more articulate, responds dynamically to playing better... you name it. It's simply a better part of the string for the neck pickup to be placed under.

to add to this to make sure i understand you, the harmonic above the pickup and the harmonic at the 5th fret are the same, so the only difference i see in having those extra frets is how the pickup picks up the harmonic.

so to me there seems like it's almost no difference to this. you don't need to punch that harmonic all the way up there when you can do it at 5
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by about
to add to this to make sure i understand you, the harmonic above the pickup and the harmonic at the 5th fret are the same, so the only difference i see in having those extra frets is how the pickup picks up the harmonic.

so to me there seems like it's almost no difference to this. you don't need to punch that harmonic all the way up there when you can do it at 5
Yes, but that's not the point. It's not about "hey listen there's a natural harmonic here guys!", it's basically about how the strings resonate at that specific point when you're playing any note at all.

It's the same reason why sometimes you'll see people pluck strings above the 12th fret. At positions like that, the string resonates and vibrates in a slightly different way, which gives a different sound; usually with more definition or with a 'fuller' tone, in simple terms.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
how does that make any sense? there's only a natural harmonic at the 24th fret when you're playing an open string. a song is not composed of only open strings. furthermore, what you say about strings "resonating" doesn't make any sense. why would a note played on the 17th fret resonate at the 24th fret?

i mean, sure, there's a different sound because closer to the neck is generally thought of as warmer, but to say that it's because "there's a harmonic node at where the 24th fret will be" is utter BS.
there is no real disadvantage in having 24 frets. makes lower frets easier to reach too.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
My 21 fret guitar drives me nuts due to the lack of a 22nd fret. Some songs, you need the extra 2 frets... my next guitar will have 24 for sure.
22 frets is good. If u wanna hit a high e just bend the 22 which is tastier to

24 bend to high f# is too high for me anyway tonewise. And u can always buy a whammy to get another octave higher.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
yeah but another thing is
maybe you don't need the 2 extra frets... but they make it a lot easier to get to fret 22 because of the extra routing for the access of those 2 extra frets
in my GSA60 (22 frets) its hard to get to the 22 fret, but on my RG350 (24 frets) its 100 times easier to get to the 22 fret
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
Quote by barcelona_rov
yeah but another thing is
maybe you don't need the 2 extra frets... but they make it a lot easier to get to fret 22 because of the extra routing for the access of those 2 extra frets
in my GSA60 (22 frets) its hard to get to the 22 fret, but on my RG350 (24 frets) its 100 times easier to get to the 22 fret

Nothing that practice can't solve

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by coolbeverage
I've heard that a 22 fret guitar, due to the placement of the neck pickup, has a distinct sound difference to a 24 fret guitar...
In a word; yes.

Placing the pickup further "up" does give you a more robust tone IMHO.

I don't know anything about nodes or distances or what have you, but I absolutely hear a difference between the 2 placements on similar guitars (PRS standard and custom 22/24s).
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Just to say, you'll hardly use those extra frets, considering you'll be using them mainly on the E and B strings, and bending to those frets is so much cooler.

What I'd do, if I had the money, is get a 22 fret guitar AND a 24 fret one, but since that isn't the case, I'd maybe play a 24 fret guitar, and compare it. See what you like better.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by MrFlibble

i disagree, if anything it's the opposite (at least on any guitars i've tried). the neck pickup on a 21 or 22 fret guitar sounds a bit warmer and sweeter, but at the expense of a little clarity.

fwiw, i think that node thing is BS, it only really affects things if you're playing an open string as the node will move depending on what fret you're playing.

if you ask me, the difference is more based on what portion of the string the pickup is picking up the sound... similar to the difference between a neck and bridge pickup, though obviously a lot more subtle. Not getting at you or anything, normally you give good advice.

i guess the difference would be, say, like a vai-style neck pickup sound versus, say, slash or gary moore (though granted different styles of pickups and guitar materials/construction are playing a very big part there too).

the only real disadvantage in 24 is if you want a slightly more vintage-sounding neck pickup tone, and also if you never use 24 frets, those extra couple of frets can make it slightly more difficult to remember where you are on the neck (if you aren't used to 24).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?