I'm trying to get an amp that has great sustain, lots of crunch, and good cleans...all at bedroom levels (I play a lot late at night so I gotta keep it down a bit). I'm going for a basic Metallica, GnR, Alice in Chains type of sound...I guess that would be hard rock to metal.

Would a Killer Ant (1W) or Little Giant (3W/5W) and a high quality OD or distortion pedal give me the tone I'm describing above or would I be better off with the Rev Jr Pro? The only thing about the Jr Pro is that I really can't crank it that much. I've played the KA and really liked it. It breaks up around 5 or 6 but it's a Classic rock tone (without a pedal). I actually haven't played a KA with a pedal yet so I don't know how close it can get to Metallica. Most people say the KA/LG can't do metal.

Budget is $800...and it has to sound good at LOW volumes.

Thanks for any advice!
Quote by ldnovelo
get the KA and a TubeScreamer

Yeh, I think you're right...the more I listen to the Krank, I dunno...there's just something about the tone I don't like. So, which pedal then for the KA for Metallica, Alice in Chains?

Metal Muff
V2JH
Tube Screamer 9
Blackstar HT-DISTX
Fulltone OCD
Since you've already decided, no point asking if you like your crunch to be high gain. I've got the Krank Rev Jr Pro, and it definitely isn't the greatest amp for anything but metal. For your musical taste I'd go with the Little Giant and probably link it to your Metal Muff, or a Jekyll and Hyde or some other good pedal. With a Jekyll and Hyde, I'd be surprised if you can't get a good tone out of placing a distortion after an overdrive pedal.

For starters, the Krank Rev Jr Pro is hard to dial in a good tone. It takes time to dial in a good tone, but once you've spent time on it, it definitely compares to lots of other amps.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Since you've already decided, no point asking if you like your crunch to be high gain. I've got the Krank Rev Jr Pro, and it definitely isn't the greatest amp for anything but metal. For your musical taste I'd go with the Little Giant and probably link it to your Metal Muff, or a Jekyll and Hyde or some other good pedal. With a Jekyll and Hyde, I'd be surprised if you can't get a good tone out of placing a distortion after an overdrive pedal.

For starters, the Krank Rev Jr Pro is hard to dial in a good tone. It takes time to dial in a good tone, but once you've spent time on it, it definitely compares to lots of other amps.

Thanks a lot for your input. Yeh, I definitely want the crunch to be high gain. However, I really want good cleans since I like to play other stuff that's not metal...stuff that's purely accoustic...so I'm thinking the LG/KA is probably the way to go.

So, for a metal tone on a LG/KA you're saying in this order:

guitar, OD pedal, Dist pedal, amp?

Thanks again for your advice!
Quote by stevem326
Thanks a lot for your input. Yeh, I definitely want the crunch to be high gain. However, I really want good cleans since I like to play other stuff that's not metal...stuff that's purely accoustic...so I'm thinking the LG/KA is probably the way to go.

So, for a metal tone on a LG/KA you're saying in this order:

guitar, OD pedal, Dist pedal, amp?

Thanks again for your advice!

Have you tried the Krank Rev Jr Pro?

The gain on that thing is unbelievable, and at even moderate levels, its really unusable for a lot of styles of music. Its more for modern metal players, or styles like shred, death metal etc, where you want you music to physically hurt your listeners.

I find anything above 5 on the gain knob for the Krank to already be unusable for a lot of styles of metal. Above 5, unless you're matching the volume, everything else just becomes noise.

The Kleen channel on the Rev Jr isn't too clean, its really middy and at anything above 4 on the Kleen channel, you can hear the overdrive starting to kick in. Still, I feel that if you want crunch rather than screaming distortion, stay away from the Krank. The distortion on the Krank can only be described as "screaming out the gates".

My friend's got the Little Giant half stack and its really good for more mellow music. For blues and 80 rock, he only runs a Tubro Distortion through it, but its not really an amp you'd use for gain-ish music like Metallica IMHO. Its a little too warm. For GnR, it definitely gets the job done.

For a metal tone, I'd say just get a straight up metal pedal, the Jekyll & Hyde pedal is a 2 in 1 pedal, which has a OD followed by a Distortion. Apparently the OD emulates an Ibanez TubeScreamer. Due to its configuration, your signal will hit the OD first before it gets processed by the Distortion. However, you'd of course have the option of using just the OD or the Distortion one at a time. Thus I'm not recommending you'd put a OD in front of a Distortion for a metal tone. IMO, that's just too noisy to be useful.

I'm sure with some EQing, you'd be able to get a Metallica tone just running this

Guitar -> Metal Muff -> Killer Ant / Little Giant

I'd recommend installing active pickups to bring you closer to the Metallica sound, but since you'd have to throw in a pedal before the preamp, actives does nothing for you. If you want the scooped 80s metal tone, you can consider this:

Guitar -> Metal Muff -> EQ pedal -> Killer Ant / Little Giant

Then scoop the mids on the EQ pedal and boost the bass a little and boost the treble a little less than you'd boost your bass.

A few points I did't like about the Blackheart amps, which is also what prevented me from buying them include:

1. Lack of an effects loop
2. Too warm
3. The tubes aren't the greatest in the world, if you're a tone freak, you might wish to consider changing them for better tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 21, 2008,
That's pretty much what I'm planning on too. I've got the Little Giant head, and I'm gonna get a Jekyll and Hyde and then an attenuator, so I can either crank the amp with the overdrive, or use the pedal's distortion.
Good luck!
Quote by Jack Carver
That's pretty much what I'm planning on too. I've got the Little Giant head, and I'm gonna get a Jekyll and Hyde and then an attenuator, so I can either crank the amp with the overdrive, or use the pedal's distortion.
Good luck!

I'm not sure if cranking the overdrive or distortion on a SS pedal will do anything for your amp. From what I understand, the use of an attenator should be so you can achieve power sturation at your power stage, but if the SS pedal is providing a consisent level of gain push at all levels, wouldn't the attenuator do nothing?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Hi RagingKitty:

Thanks a lot for your very informative post. To answer your question: No, I’ve never tried the Rev Jr Pro. I’ve only listened to a bunch of clips over the web but I agree the amp seems to be designed mainly for metal and nothing else. That’s great if all you play is metal but I actually want more diversity than that for things like the Eagles, Neil Young, Rush, some 70s-80s stuff, for example. I didn’t like the cleans on the Rev Jr Pro at all (no offense to anyone who plays one of these by the way).

I have tried the KA and really, really liked the cleans but I didn’t have an OD or Distortion pedal to see what kind of distortion or gain I could get with it. The KA breaks up around 5 or 6 into a pretty decent classic rock tone so if I can get into GnR territory with a pedal on a KA or LG I’ll be happy (I can live without high-gain stuff but maybe with the right combination of pedals I can still get there). If not, no big deal…GnR gain is good enough right now.

Right now I just play a PRS SE that has PRS-designed humbuckers. I was thinking about putting active EMG’s in there but I don’t like the cleans that come out of EMG’s so I might just stay with what I have…or maybe get some SD’s possibly. Overall, I’m pretty happy with the tone so far (it’s a new guitar for me and I’m still trying to find my sound).
yea w/ an OD you'll get GNR gain, especially if you put it on top of a crunch sound.

and you don't need active EMGs unless you're solely a metal/hard rock player. mid output humbuckers will do most styles perfectly well. plus, they'll retain more clarity with more gain, where as higher output pups can get muddier.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out