im on a tight budget, due to some backed-up bills. however, i have about $80 in change

so, i plan on either installing a DiMarzio Super Distortion in my bridge, or getting a BYOC and building it

i have stock Ibanez humbuckers (from the 80s, when they where still decent stock pickups) and a Boss ME-50...and also plan on building a little 2-watt amp, so the soldering experience would rock

any suggestions
I'd say get some new pickups but that's just me. for $80 you can get a seymour duncan invader for some metal sounds, idk what type of music ur into but its just a suggestion.
If you're set on doing a pup swap, and are on a really tight budget (meaning an amp is out of the question, which would far outweigh a pup swap), then I'd suggest a versatile pup like a SD SH/TB-4--that is hard to go wrong with. The Invader suggested above is the last thing you'd want for versatility in one pup. Otherwise, I don't generally use any pedals, so I don't generally talk about any unless someone asks about something specific. Ultimately, the amp and how well your guitar plays for you is most important.
Quote by 4regt4
If you're set on doing a pup swap, and are on a really tight budget (meaning an amp is out of the question, which would far outweigh a pup swap), then I'd suggest a versatile pup like a SD SH/TB-4--that is hard to go wrong with.

+a million.

The SH/TB-4 (JB Model) has more output than the DiMarzio Super Distortion, you can check it on the website (DC resistance is higher).

I HIGHLY recommend it if you're looking for versatility, because you can roll back the guitar volume and it'll clean up extremely well.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
well what do you want to change in your tone? If your looking for more of a tone tweak, go for some new pups. Or if you want something completly different... I.E a distortion pedal, chorus pedal... whatever... then definately go with the pedal.

Just really depends on what you think you need more
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
duncan JB is also a fantastic idea...however, i dont think ill be throwing an Invader in my destroyer anytime soon, eventually ill have an RG with active pickups for my real high-gain
(i am leaning a bit towards the pickup)

the dimarzio have a bit less highs than the JB, and i have a flamed maple top, so i was thinking ill treat the whole bit like math, and try to equal things out...think its a good idea?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
duncan JB is also a fantastic idea...however, i dont think ill be throwing an Invader in my destroyer anytime soon, eventually ill have an RG with active pickups for my real high-gain
(i am leaning a bit towards the pickup)

the dimarzio have a bit less highs than the JB, and i have a flamed maple top, so i was thinking ill treat the whole bit like math, and try to equal things out...think its a good idea?

Warming up a bright guitar with a darker pup is generally the idea if that is what you are aiming for.

The JB can be a little shrill with a guitar that is too bright.