I just got done with a tube pulling thread in the customizing forum and it's not a good option so option 2! buy an attenuator!

Problem is that it's my brother's amp and when we hooked it up to the lead guitarist's hot plate attenuator it blew the fuse in the amp. worked for like 2 minutes. Has anyone else ever had this or would this just be a coincidence. He did turn the amp up louder than normal for us. Right now he can only turn up to like 3 or 4 at practice and he had it around the 6-7 area. While this shouldn't blow a fuse i was thinking if it's an old fuse(the amp is used don't know what year) maybe the extra strain just caused it to finally go out. any suggestions? is the attenuator maybe at the heart of the problem for his amp, was it just timing, or might the fuse blowing under "normal operation" suggest something deeper wrong with the amp. mind you my vb-2 225 watt tube bass amp and both my lead guitarist's Marshall 50watt tubes amps(one for clean one for distorion on A/B switch) were plugged in and on and on the same circuit but were on standby while his was on. could be a power surge and ours being on standby saved our fuses?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Do you have the correct ohms attenuator or the selector switch if it has one set right?
yes it was a 16 ohm attenuator so we used the 16 ohm jack on his speaker and the 16ohm on his head(his cab can be run at 4 or 16 ohms)
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
If you're running at the proper impedance, an attenuator is actually safer than a speaker since it's not a reactive load.
Replace the fuse, see if it happens again. If it does, get the amp checked out since you have a power tube or transformer issue.
ok just making sure it couldn't be caused by the attenuator.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
It could be caused by turning the amp up, if you call that the attenuator's fault. But no, the attenuator didn't break it.
Next question would be was he using speaker cable or instrument cable to hook it all up?
all speaker cable. probably just an aged fuse that went out from the stress of the sudden boost in power then. any suggestions on a great attenuator. we like the THD hot plate(as that was what he was using and it sounded nice with the nice bright and deep switches) are there any others we should look into. 100w amp so make sure you pick one rated for enough watts.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian